Good safe deal at Lowes

I have been looking for a safe for awhile now and was going to pick one up at Bass Pro but I was in Lowes getting some home maintenance supplies Friday and saw this safe from Liberty for $727.00. I inquired with the department associate if it was tax exempt as it was a gun safe and he was not sure on that, when I got home I called Lowes 1-800 and explained to the rep about the MA tax exemption, she said she would look into it and have someone from the Wareham store contact me within 24 hours, they called me in one hour. The manager said it was indeed tax exempt and they had three in stock, and also being retired military they offer a 10% discount on any purchase so I walked out with this 440lb beauty for $654.30! I should had filmed myself getting it off the trailer and leapfrogging it across the lawn on plywood sheets and up onto the deck with a ramp I made from 2" X 10"'s, shes in place and bolted to the floor with 1/2" lag bolts and loaded up. [smile] http://www.lowes.com/pd_291281-10283-CN20-BK_0_?productId=3030862&Ntt=safes&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=safes$y=0$x=0

Keep in mind that thou gettuth what thou payuth for. That unit is decent for the $$, but not a steal - the body is 12 gauge which is at the low end of gun safe wall thickness. The common gunsafe thicknesses are 12 and 10 gauge, with 3/16 and 1/4 being the high end before you get into TL rated safes (which are "real safes" of the kind you might find in a jewelery store).

Good deal. I might have used some longer lag bolts though.
I suspect that the 1/2" mentioned was diameter, not length.

Last edited:
Yes the diameter is 1/2"D X 2 1/2"L on the bolts. As far as you get what you pay for, I understand that very well, I live in a small quite town on Cape Cod with close at home neighbors, my past gun storage plan was trigger/cable locks with guns hidden around the house, so the security and fire protection it provides is the right cost/risk trade off for me and my situation. Your average break in grab and go punk is not going to get into this thing without some serious forethought and tools.

Back
Top Bottom