Good pistol workshops?

I'd like to try and get into USPSA / IDPA shooting, but need some practice to at the very least work out some bad habits I seemed to have picked up. I know Sig Academy in NH has a decent offering of classes, but no idea how they are or if there's anywhere else to look for working on building my foundation and skills.

first i can't answer your question for organized clinics but i can tell you what i did when i started ipsc years ago. after my first match where i failed miserably. i snagged a couple of the guys running stages who were decent in their own right in the sport and asked them questions but what transpired was they agreed to work with me at my club (pelham) for a few saturday afternoons. they started with like a classroom where they could explain match safety and certain nuances of the sport and gave me a chance to ask questions. then we moved to the pits and learned how to draw, grip, sighting. we just did all this in slo-mo helping me with the general idea. we moved on to drills, awareness, putting it together under time restrictions. etc. etc. you know where i'm heading with this. best part, they were happy to do it, i made a couple of friends, range buddies and squad mates for future matches and it cost....several rounds at the local tavern when we were finished each day. just what happened to me. good luck. and yes, i did improve, still sucked, but actually managed to win a stage or two.

(1) Watch a lot of YouTube to familiarize yourself with concepts like the 180 and just gun safety at a match.
(2) Identify clubs running matches.
(3) If the club has an "Intro to [shooting sport]", sign up and participate.
(4) Shoot a match.

Some clubs, like I believe Old Colony, require completion of a newb class.

first i can't answer your question for organized clinics but i can tell you what i did when i started ipsc years ago. after my first match where i failed miserably. i snagged a couple of the guys running stages who were decent in their own right in the sport and asked them questions but what transpired was they agreed to work with me at my club (pelham) for a few saturday afternoons. they started with like a classroom where they could explain match safety and certain nuances of the sport and gave me a chance to ask questions. then we moved to the pits and learned how to draw, grip, sighting. we just did all this in slo-mo helping me with the general idea. we moved on to drills, awareness, putting it together under time restrictions. etc. etc. you know where i'm heading with this. best part, they were happy to do it, i made a couple of friends, range buddies and squad mates for future matches and it cost....several rounds at the local tavern when we were finished each day. just what happened to me. good luck. and yes, i did improve, still sucked, but actually managed to win a stage or two.

(1) Watch a lot of YouTube to familiarize yourself with concepts like the 180 and just gun safety at a match.
(2) Identify clubs running matches.
(3) If the club has an "Intro to [shooting sport]", sign up and participate.
(4) Shoot a match.

Some clubs, like I believe Old Colony, require completion of a newb class.

Appreciate the replies. I'm definitely planning on attending a few matches, if for nothing else to just get a feel of how they work. On top of that, I need some work to refine things like my grip, stance, and presentation, which I feel like despite watching hours of videos online and time at the range, could still use someone who knows what they're doing observing my technique and giving me some feedback on what I'm doing wrong. Thought a formal workshop would maybe be the best approach for this, but it's not a bad idea to try and snag someone at a match or my local club and see if they're willing to trade lessons for ammo and beer.

Back
Top Bottom