Good Muzzle Brake for AR-15

Just finished my first AR build. Gun works great and I put the Daniel Defense Muzzle Climb Mitigator on it. The DD brake is amazing at eliminating recoil. All you feel is a jolt as the bolt cycles and experience no rearward recoil at all. The issue is that they over-compensated it for resisting muzzle rise and it causes a 1/2" muzzle dip. Not a fan of this so I'm trying to find another brake that works well. I'm shocked at how little there is in the way of real comparisons or reviews of brakes. It seems a lot of people write them off as unnecessary novelties and don't give them much attention. After using the DD brake I have I'm convinced they're one of the most useful upgrades for an AR.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience or links to resources that can shed some light on which brakes are best. Don't care all that much about muzzle flash and definitely don't care about muzzle blast. Just looking for a brake that eliminates most rearward recoil and keeps the muzzle totally flat.

I can't say enough good things about my Rainier XTC compensator. Shoot one and you'll be amazed at how well it keeps the muzzle down.

Wow! Done and done! Just checked out a bunch of videos of this including one from a YouTuber whose opinion I really respect. Looks like it's really multi-talented and effective. Going to pick one up today.

Open up the exit hole on the DD. It will get rid of the dip

What exit hole are you referring to?

Looks like the Rainier XTC is no longer in stock anywhere in black. Looks like the black one is gone from their site and only the silver colored model remains. As best I can tell they've stopped selling the black one but have kept the silver one? Idiots... Completely intolerable stupidity, discontinuing the model in the color that everyone's gun is but keeping the silver one on the shelves. Not sure what to get now. Doesn't seem like any others are quite as good at covering every role.

I have the same brake, that is how you fix the dip

Not a fan of drilling on it without the right tools. I don't have a drill press or anything.

Really liked the look of the Rainier XTC but that's apparently out. The Rainier RAC seems like its replacement but there isn't a single review of video out there demonstrating it in action.

Wow! Done and done! Just checked out a bunch of videos of this including one from a YouTuber whose opinion I really respect. Looks like it's really multi-talented and effective. Going to pick one up today.

I have one as well. I'll pm you the video of me running it in class

What exit hole are you referring to?

Looks like the Rainier XTC is no longer in stock anywhere in black. Looks like the black one is gone from their site and only the silver colored model remains. As best I can tell they've stopped selling the black one but have kept the silver one? Idiots... Completely intolerable stupidity, discontinuing the model in the color that everyone's gun is but keeping the silver one on the shelves. Not sure what to get now. Doesn't seem like any others are quite as good at covering every role.

The xtc may have been discontinued. Picked one up for 25 a few months back new from rainier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could this downward flip be a flinch not apparent due to lack of muzzle jump?... I love putting dummy rounds in any guns my friends shoot. Love to see them yank the muzzle downward on a dead round.....I have a flinch also and need to work on it all the time....

I am very impressed with the Griffen tactical comp. It is a great comp and it is significantly better at mitigating side blast. And a bargain for $90.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Could this downward flip be a flinch not apparent due to lack of muzzle jump?

Negative. Flinching isn't an issue for me with the AR. Only thing I still catch myself doing it with is my 12GA with 3" slugs. Downward push with brakes is a well documented occurrence. It seems to be less of a problem with a traditional stance and grip since the traditional grip does a poor job resisting muzzle rise. The modern grip and stance do a better job holding the muzzle down so a brake that has top vents for keeping the muzzle down can cause it to push down for those using a modern grip (which I do). In testing even the Rainier brake I just ordered has a small downward push but I'm confident it will be much less than my current one.

Here is a link I found when researching muzzle brake performance that had some pretty good information and comparisons. Obviously many other options out there but this helped me narrow down the choices when I was researching.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

Yep I used the same page in researching this.

I ended up buying the Rainier XTC. Had to get it in silver and tried painting it black with iffy results. Functionally it's great. Got it to the range yesterday. The muzzle stays flat and it does a nice job with recoil. Lot of muzzle blast but it seems the formula is that the more it resists recoil the louder it is, so I'm not complaining. Lot of flash but only to the left and right. None is directed upward. Nice brake/comp.

Could this downward flip be a flinch not apparent due to lack of muzzle jump?... I love putting dummy rounds in any guns my friends shoot. Love to see them yank the muzzle downward on a dead round.....I have a flinch also and need to work on it all the time....

Can you distinguish between a true flinch and a post-ignition push, which happen a few hundredths of a second from each other? A flinch is revealed by where the bullet hits. The dummy round trick will do more harm than good when you try to "fix" a harmless post-ignition push.

Back
Top Bottom