• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good gunshops around groton ct

It's for the children, and to prevent gun violence.
Because "if it saves one life"... blah, blah, blah.

The only thing that's good about CT gun laws is that they will issue carry permits to anyone unless they have a valid reason to deny it; and that includes non-residents. There's no BS about LTC-A, LTC-B, etc. It's simply a permit to carry a pistol/revolver. Which also gives you the legal ability in CT to purchase longarms, ammunition, and pistols/revolvers if you're a resident (Federal law).

So, not sure what your hesitancy about applying for a non-resident permit is; and none of my business - but if there's any way you can do it - just apply for a non-resident CT permit.

not a hesitancy as much as inconvienece, hard for me to make time for a class.

Spot on. There's also no BS about moving out of state and having to reapply for a non-resident, 1 year license (like in MA). Notify of address change and done.

Compared to MA anyway, the laws are written more clearly, there is no handgun roster, and as you mentioned, permits are shall issue. Then again comparing the two states and saying CT is better on gun laws is like saying I'd rather be shot in the chest than in the face.

Where Connecticut is better than most neighboring states (e.g. New York and Mass especially, Rhode Island if we are talking about AG permits or the practices that most towns apply) is that there isn't a requirement to prove need (to some subjective standard) or a restriction system that may be implemented by the issuing authority. If an individual is qualified to receive a permit they receive a permit. (CT does require permit endorsements for BEAs and armed security guards.)

Connecticut does have a suitability requirement which is subjective. The difference is that there is a fairly decent body of case law regarding suitability and a civil administrative appeals process for denials that is more accessible than the procedures that other states make available.

(Editorializing) Despite my dislike for the subjective nature of the suitability requirement, there are a lot of cases out there of applicants who are not statutorily barred (but who have serious issues....e.g. psych, LE interactions that did not result in convictions, etc...) that reinforce why it exists and why that is part of the reason that our carry laws haven't gotten substantially worse. If we had the stream of stories that you hear coming from places like Florida, I think it would be likely that permits in Connecticut would be issued with New Jersey style frequency and probably imposed with deep south style proscriptions on where people can actually carry.

It's for the children, and to prevent gun violence.
Because "if it saves one life"... blah, blah, blah.

The only thing that's good about CT gun laws is that they will issue carry permits to anyone unless they have a valid reason to deny it; and that includes non-residents. There's no BS about LTC-A, LTC-B, etc. It's simply a permit to carry a pistol/revolver. Which also gives you the legal ability in CT to purchase longarms, ammunition, and pistols/revolvers if you're a resident (Federal law).

So, not sure what your hesitancy about applying for a non-resident permit is; and none of my business - but if there's any way you can do it - just apply for a non-resident CT permit.

not a hesitancy as much as inconvienece, hard for me to make time for a class.

Back
Top Bottom