Good 1st gun for my girlfriend?

My girlfriend just completed her pistol permit class, she wants a 9mm.
Can anyone recommend a good sold 9mm?
She really likes the feel of my Ruger P95, but I was leaning more for a S&W. I have a M&P 40c, does anyone have the M&P 9mm? and any thoughts on the M&P 9mm? standard/compact?

Take her shooting and let her pick. It is going to be her gun, not yours. What fits your hand may not fit hers. And if it doesn't fit her hand, then she won't shoot it well.

If you do have her shoot a DA/SA, make sure she shoots it DA as well as SA. She might not like it quite so much after shooting it DA.

Last edited:
Springfield Armory XD series. It was my first gun and still one of my favorites. My GF loved it... but then I scared her away from shooting by letting her try my .357.

If she does end up trying and liking the XD, I have a XD40 with an additional 9mm barrel I was thinking about selling... ;)

She has been to the range with me many times, and has shot all my guns, and her brothers guns too. She likes the 9mm best, the 40 and 45 are too much for her.
I just was looking to see if anyone prefered on make/model over another. You are right
the bottom line is it is her gun and up to her to choose.

I just was looking to see if anyone prefered on make/model over another. You are right
the bottom line is it is her gun and up to her to choose.

It is really going to be hard for anyone to predict which will work best for her. For example, my wife has short hands, so a double stack is completely out of the question for her.

Make sure the gun fits her -- that she can comfortably reach the trigger with the slide basically in line with her forearm. Make sure that she can operate the trigger in all modes -- I've had a number of students who just can't pull a heavy DA trigger. Make sure that she can rack the slide -- my wife has a hard time with many guns.

There are plenty of fine 9mms, from Glock, S&W (M&P and third generation), Sig, HK, etc. Have her try as many as possible.

Thanks I will have to take her to a range that rents guns, like S&W and have her try a few different ones. You make a lot of good points with racking the slide, and reaching the trigger.

Girlfriend

Thanks I will have to take her to a range that rents guns, like S&W and have her try a few different ones. You make a lot of good points with racking the slide, and reaching the trigger.
Since you`re in E.Granby you should take her to S&W range. You can rent all their pistols and revolvers to try.

Try the Walther P99

When my wife wanted her own handgun she went to the range and tried out the many different options available. She settled on the Walther P99; primarily because of the interchangeable grips..it comes with 3 sizes and she had hers fitted to her hand.

I'm always a fan of Glock pistols. The lack of an external safety is not a valid reason to not look into Glocks. The G19 and G26 are both good 9mm's. The G26 has the double recoil spring setup which actually works alot better than the single recoil spring in the compacts and fullsize models. Some actually think the G29 has less recoil than the G20 when shooting full power 10mm loads.

The issue with Glocks is their large grip circumference. When teaching, I've found that many of my female students didn't have large enough hands to comfortably reach the trigger on a Glock.

She really likes the feel of my Ruger P95,
Let her try the new Ruger SR9 then. I'm pretty sure she'll like that even more. The full size M&P9 is also a very good candidate from a similar mold.

IMO compact handguns are not good beginners handguns. More recoil, more difficult to aim.

A couple of questions...

Is she dead set on a 9mm?

Is this for personal protection and/or range use?

Is a revolver out of the question?

The reason I ask the last question is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with owning a wheelgun, and if there's any shortcoming with grip size and feel, at least a revolver has more options (with aftermarket grips), to accommodate for smaller hands.

Also with a revolver, she could go with something chambered in .357 mag for defensive use, and have the option to use .38 special for range use.

One last question (and word of advice),...

Is she paying for the firearm or is this a gift?

If the latter... don't walk into the gun store, have her pick out the one she wants (and asks your advice), she fills out the form 4473 and you hand the dealer the cash.

There's nothing wrong with you two doing that (it's all perfectly legal as long as both parties aren't prohibited purchasers).

It's just one of those things that antsy or cautious FFls might give you a raised eyebrow or deny the sale about.

Give her the cash beforehand or afterwards then let her thank you in the morning. [smile]

Last edited:
I date lots of women. I'd no sooner post a "Good Gun For My Girlfriend" thread than I would a "Good Shoes for my Girlfriend" thread. I like S&W 500s and 5" stilettos, but she probably won't. Let her pick it.

Join as a GREEN member, take her to the next shoot, she can shoot everybody's guns (seriously) and then let her pick.

Good 1st gun for my girlfriend?---GotGuns
I’m of the old school and generally suggest a revolver for a first gun. I think that they are a safer gun to start with but trigger pull can be a problem.

I don’t think I could help you with answering your question about what might be a good 9mm (semi-auto) 1st gun for your girlfriend, but it is nice that you’re taking the time to do some research for her.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I date lots of women. I'd no sooner post a "Good Gun For My Girlfriend" thread than I would a "Good Shoes for my Girlfriend" thread. I like S&W 500s and 5" stilettos, but she probably won't. Let her pick it.

Join as a GREEN member, take her to the next shoot, she can shoot everybody's guns (seriously) and then let her pick.

Go with this advise. Let her make the choice of what is right for her. She needs to try out various ones to see what she is comfortable with.
Jkelly, not all of us like revolvers. Me being one of them.[grin]

Jkelly, not all of us like revolvers. Me being one of them.---MrsWildWeasel
I'm not sure who "all of us" refers to, but when asked for my opinion I generally recommend a revolver as a first hand gun. I think they are less complicated to use and easier to safely clear then a semi-auto.

Who is “all of us” and what “one of them” are you?

Respectfully,

jkelly

I'm not sure who "all of us" refers to, but when asked for my opinion I generally recommend a revolver as a first hand gun. I think they are less complicated to use and easier to safely clear then a semi-auto.

Who is “all of us” and what “one of them” are you?

Respectfully,

jkelly

Refering to all of us women. I am one who does not care for revolvers. I am sure there are some women who may not mind them, I just have never cared for them and am sure I am not alone in that. [wink]

Refering to all of us women. I am one who does not care for revolvers. I am sure there are some women who may not mind them, I just have never cared for them and am sure I am not alone in that. ---MrsWildWeasal
I don’t doubt that you are not alone in not liking revolvers (although I have a dozen or so of them I’m not nuts about them either) but I’m not sure why you included your sex in your dislike of them.

My statement to GotGuns, that I usually suggest a revolver as a first hand gun, was not based on his girlfriend’s sex but rather the assumption that she is a new shooter. Even then I didn’t actually suggest that she get a revolver but rather I said this is what I generally suggest.

I didn’t answer his question as to which 9mm semi-auto I’d suggest because I don’t have enough information about his girlfriend’s preferences to give an informed answer. I didn’t want to be a “buy this because I own one” type of guy.

But the real reason for my first post was to reassure GotGuns that asking the question “Good first gun for my girlfriend?” was a proper question. Some seem (maybe not you) to think that there is something inherently wrong with the question.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I don’t doubt that you are not alone in not liking revolvers (although I have a dozen or so of them I’m not nuts about them either) but I’m not sure why you included your sex in your dislike of them.

My statement to GotGuns, that I usually suggest a revolver as a first hand gun, was not based on his girlfriend’s sex but rather the assumption that she is a new shooter. Even then I didn’t actually suggest that she get a revolver but rather I said this is what I generally suggest.

I didn’t answer his question as to which 9mm semi-auto I’d suggest because I don’t have enough information about his girlfriend’s preferences to give an informed answer. I didn’t want to be a “buy this because I own one” type of guy.

But the real reason for my first post was to reassure GotGuns that asking the question “Good first gun for my girlfriend?” was a proper question. Some seem (maybe not you) to think that there is something inherently wrong with the question.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking what a good first gun is at all, but I do think she should try out a bunch of different ones and see what she feels comfortable with.
I just don't want someone to go and get a gun for their girlfriend/spouse/whatever, with out them trying it, because what one person thinks may not work for them, or they could be like me and not really care for revolvers.
Which is all I was trying to state.I mainly put my sex into it because most assume they should start their girlfriend/ spouse on something like that.I just didn't want them thinking it's okay for most women. I also realize I am not the norm.

She really likes the feel of my Ruger P95, but I was leaning more for a S&W. I have a M&P 40c, does anyone have the M&P 9mm? and any thoughts on the M&P 9mm? standard/compact?

I have a M&P' in .40 full size, 9mm full size, and I just bought one of the 9mm compacts.

The full size pistols are both the same size - personally I think they shoot very similarly. I haven't had a chance to shoot the compact yet.

Honestly - for a first gun, and as way of getting some cheap target practice in - why not get something like a Walther P22? It's always good to have around for cheap shooting - and it would give you some time to narrow down exactly what works best for her.

If you want to try out some different stuff check out Manchester Firing Line (Manchester NH) - you can rent stuff and try it out right on their range. Cheaper than buying and selling stuff until you find what she likes.

Just a few questions:

1) Where do you meet all these women who will go out with a man who is wearing women's shoes?

2) Do you have small feet - or did you have to go searching for stilettos in men's sizes?

3) Don't wearing those shoes throw you off balance shooting something like an S&W 500?

[laugh]

Honestly - for a first gun, and as way of getting some cheap target practice in - why not get something like a Walther P22? It's always good to have around for cheap shooting - and it would give you some time to narrow down exactly what works best for her.

I've seen several people shooting P22s at my club. Or, rather, trying to. They always had lots of problems with the gun. Plenty of good .22 semi-autos around, for example Ruger Mk II or III.

I mainly put my sex into it because most assume they should start their girlfriend/ spouse on something like that.I just didn't want them thinking it's okay for most women.---MrsWildWeasel
I certainly understand your point, in fact that is one reason I keep my gun suggestions gender neutral.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom