Gold and silver prices are down

"*Qualifying items exclude all items in the following categories: Classifieds; Business & Industrial, but only for Heavy Equipment within that category; Real Estate; Gift Cards & Coupons, including eBay Gift Cards, Gift Cards, and Digital Gifts within that category; Bullion within the Coins & Paper category; and all categories in Motors, except Parts & Accessories."

What perplexes me the most is how treasury yields are staying so low. Aside from the fed, who wants 2.8% on a 10 year paid in dollars [laugh] ?

"*Qualifying items exclude all items in the following categories: Classifieds; Business & Industrial, but only for Heavy Equipment within that category; Real Estate; Gift Cards & Coupons, including eBay Gift Cards, Gift Cards, and Digital Gifts within that category; Bullion within the Coins & Paper category; and all categories in Motors, except Parts & Accessories."

Nothing I linked is in the Bullion category.

Thanks! Bought some interesting numismatic items for the cost of PM's plus a little. These are 100+ year old coins in BU condition for the cost of the underlying PM's. Go figure!

And it's when the US made coins with intrinsic beauty...

Thanks! Bought some interesting numismatic items for the cost of PM's plus a little. These are 100+ year old coins in BU condition for the cost of the underlying PM's. Go figure!

And it's when the US made coins with intrinsic beauty...

I almost exclusively buy numismatic gold.

Do you guys knows how to tell original coins from restrikes? I read some reviews on Apmex and seems like they sell 1950s restrrikes as originals for coins without identifying them as restrikes.
Do you have the link to the article? My understanding is that a re-strike uses the original dies so it would be difficult to discern a restrike from an original if the metal content was correct. That said, I've heard of a few very specific restrikes where the coins are so rare that they restrike them to make them more available to collectors. These are generally early colonial American copper coins or specific date foreign coins. I've not heard of restrikes being widely available for many dates of US gold coins. From what I have read the mint would cross out dies to retire them so they couldn't be used again.

Do you guys knows how to tell original coins from restrikes? I read some reviews on Apmex and seems like they sell 1950s restrrikes as originals for coins without identifying them as restrikes.

I don't believe a company with a reputation like Apmex would risk any attempt to defraud their customers.

These re-strikes that they occasionally list are coins that are re-struck by their issuing countries for various reasons, such as changes in design/dates, or cleaning up flaws in the minting press dies, and not any attempt to deceive. If enough coins are minted (thousands) before the error is noticed, they will run them again. They are not counterfeits! As such many re-strikes are more valuable than ordinary specimens.

I don't believe a company with a reputation like Apmex would risk any attempt to defraud their customers.

These re-strikes that they occasionally list are coins that are re-struck by their issuing countries for various reasons, such as changes in design/dates, or cleaning up flaws in the minting press dies, and not any attempt to deceive. If enough coins are minted (thousands) before the error is noticed, they will run them again. They are not counterfeits! As such many re-strikes are more valuable than ordinary specimens.

I don't think it's fraud. Read reviews of this coin at Apmex, buyers seem to know it's a restrike, but no mention of that in the description.

I'm guessing people know their restrikes from the color - more copperish, since the material composition of the newer restrikes has more copper in it. The ones I got have that copper look.

Swiss Gold Coins for Sale Online | Buy Swiss Gold 20 Francs Helvetia Coin | APMEX

I'm not as well versed in foreign coins - I don't know the prevalence of foreign restrikes.

How could there be more copper in the restrikes? Wouldn't that mean less gold?

As an aside, the US coins that are 90% gold and 10% copper often turn a richer color as they age. Even though the copper is only 10% of the composition it still turns from the bright shiny copper to the browner copper. In these old gold coins they appear to be more orange and less yellow. This is a sought after appearance by collectors because it indicates that the coin hasn't been dipped, cleaned, washed, or otherwise doctored.

I'm not as well versed in foreign coins - I don't know the prevalence of foreign restrikes.

How could there be more copper in the restrikes? Wouldn't that mean less gold?

As an aside, the US coins that are 90% gold and 10% copper often turn a richer color as they age. Even though the copper is only 10% of the composition it still turns from the bright shiny copper to the browner copper. In these old gold coins they appear to be more orange and less yellow. This is a sought after appearance by collectors because it indicates that the coin hasn't been dipped, cleaned, washed, or otherwise doctored.

Same amount of gold, but these coins are only 91% gold, so the color is affected by the other metals. I read they used less or no copper in the original coins.

Interesting about the Cu changing the color over time.

From reading reviews, it seems these old coins are a crapshoot what year you get. What I don’t like is a coin dated 1898 that was actually a restrike from 1950. Some reviews claim that’s what they’re getting.

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't appreciate getting a 1950 strike of a 1898 coin either. All the larger purchases I make are NGC or PCGS certified $20 liberties and I always pick the coin. I don't buy those "dates of our choosing" partly because I want a new date but also because I'm picky and I like coins that look like they haven't been doctored in anyway - circulated coins that look like they were in use for years and have stories to tell that were never washed away.

Yeah I wouldn't appreciate getting a 1950 strike of a 1898 coin either. All the larger purchases I make are NGC or PCGS certified $20 liberties and I always pick the coin. I don't buy those "dates of our choosing" partly because I want a new date but also because I'm picky and I like coins that look like they haven't been doctored in anyway - circulated coins that look like they were in use for years and have stories to tell that were never washed away.

That’s cool and the way to do it. I don’t really worry cause I’m buying these as due to Ebay bucks they’re the cheapest way to buy the base metal, and they happen to look nice, if not much numismatic value.

I feel like we're solidly above $1,300. We were below that for a long time but now, even when there are sell offs, we never get below $1,300. I do think there are some mental barriers in place before a big rise. I've heard $1,375 & $1,400 floated as those mental barriers before a big breakout into a bull market.

Personally, I'm bullish on the long term future of PMs. I think the dollar is on shaky ground, China and Russia are hoarding gold, stock market is overvalued, trade wars are possible, and real wars are also possible. I'm not overly concerned with if the bull market is next month or next year - I'm buying in with whatever leftover money that I have.

I feel like we're solidly above $1,300. We were below that for a long time but now, even when there are sell offs, we never get below $1,300. I do think there are some mental barriers in place before a big rise. I've heard $1,375 & $1,400 floated as those mental barriers before a big breakout into a bull market.

Personally, I'm bullish on the long term future of PMs. I think the dollar is on shaky ground, China and Russia are hoarding gold, stock market is overvalued, trade wars are possible, and real wars are also possible. I'm not overly concerned with if the bull market is next month or next year - I'm buying in with whatever leftover money that I have.

That's definitely true, but a lot of PM experts think that PMs are only up because of the dollar weakness, not because of actual interest in the metals. This means there isn't sufficient support for a breakout to the upside. They think gold and gold miners will retest the 2016 lows ($1180 in gold, like $19 in GDX) before we can start a real new bull run (to $2000 in gold).

I think we'll see a great buying opportunity this year, and I'm holding money back for that (retirement money). With my non-retirement money I'm just buying some physical PMs when I see good prices, or when Ebay does their crazy 15/20% off deals. :)

What could spoil that buying opportunity is if the stock market mild correction turns into a real panic. That'll probably spike gold past $1400, and once that happens, good bye cheap gold.

We may find out on Monday if the stock market drop continues past the 200 day moving averages.

This day isn't nearly as entertaining as I had hoped for. Will be interesting to see if the market sells off before the close like it has been doing or if it's able to maintain its early gains.

This day isn't nearly as entertaining as I had hoped for. Will be interesting to see if the market sells off before the close like it has been doing or if it's able to maintain its early gains.

This bear market is going to use any excuse to rally, and unfortunately these kind of rallies sucker people in, thinking it's an all-clear, like bear markets always do.

Nothing has changed, however, and the market troubles have little to do with Trump's trade war, and everything to do with interest rates, which continue to chug upwards. I think we'll retest today's lows soon, and probably break through them.

I don't really think gold/silver have bottomed either. I'm enjoying the depressed prices, and hope they continue.

I hope you're right about the gold and silver staying low for a while. They didn't drop at all today as the market rose. I thought they might but they didn't.

I hope you're right about the gold and silver staying low for a while. They didn't drop at all today as the market rose. I thought they might but they didn't.

gold/silver and miners just seem to be doing their drift around within the trading range of the last year or two. I think we'll get another downdraft in the next month or two, but sooner or later they'll go up for good, so I'm buying while I can. I don't want to be chasing gold at $1900/oz and silver at $22/oz.

Anyone else here watch Lynette Zang from ITM trading? She posts videos on youtube pretty frequently. I started watching them a couple of weeks ago. They're pretty good. I watch 20 minutes or so before bed to settle down for the evening. I don't put as much stock in them as I do listening Schiff's speech's but they're definitely more entertaining to me than watching talk shows, American idol, or whatever else is on TV these days.

What do you guys think, is this the start of a bull market in PMs, or are we just drifting around the trading range?
Feels like it, but TPTB have deep pockets to stave it off until it will benefit them. Lol. I'm wearing a .925 hat...

Picked up an 1874 Liberty Double Eagle NGC XF45 for $1,330 including shipping and everything from Heritage Auction (HA.com) last night.

Back
Top Bottom