Gold and silver prices are down

Silver makes up less than 1%

I already sold 50 ounces at a loss. Can't wait to get rid of it all.

Word to the wise. Stick with precious metals that are VERY LIQUID.

Stick with American Eagles.
Gold is less manipulated

Copper and Silver are very easy to produce.
Gold is much more difficult, scarcity is key.

Don't buy things you believe is cool. And looks cool and makes you feel cool.

You'll never get your money back, nobody cares what means alot to your emotions...
Always diversify friend. Never be overweight assets that reduce your liquidity. If I want to use liquidity to my advantage I do what the big boys do and that is trading etfs. I am definitely not buying pms now as I made my last purchase of a roll of 20 maple leafs for $515.

Also, I don’t think many here buy pms because they are cool. They buy them as insurance and to store up for future generations.

Silver could get squeezed hard and reach $50 again. Maybe even higher. I think you’ll have have your opportunity to sell then.

Always diversify friend. Never be overweight assets that reduce your liquidity. If I want to use liquidity to my advantage I do what the big boys do and that is trading etfs. I am definitely not buying pms now as I made my last purchase of a roll of 20 maple leafs for $515.

Also, I don’t think many here buy pms because they are cool. They buy them as insurance and to store up for future generations.

Silver could get squeezed hard and reach $50 again. Maybe even higher. I think you’ll have have your opportunity to sell then.

Silver lags gold but when it gets going it goes ballistic. I think a lot of disgusted silver investors will sell into this rally at $27 and then get even more disgusted when silver hits $50, or $200 (the latter would be if gold hits $8000).

Juniors miners are finally having a good day. My portfolio is up 6% today. But still the best juniors barely moved today, it was depressed stocks moving 25% that did it. So it still looks like short covering. If you were an investor buying juniors you’d buy the good ones, not the bad ones.

Silver lags gold but when it gets going it goes ballistic. I think a lot of disgusted silver investors will sell into this rally at $27 and then get even more disgusted when silver hits $50, or $200 (the latter would be if gold hits $8000).

Juniors miners are finally having a good day. My portfolio is up 6% today. But still the best juniors barely moved today, it was depressed stocks moving 25% that did it. So it still looks like short covering. If you were an investor buying juniors you’d buy the good ones, not the bad ones.
I had not dabbled in individual miners, but you guys were talking about First Majestic, so I bought a measly 100 shares for something like $550 total, just for fun. Holy crap! I won't say I wish I'd bought more because that kind of insipid nonsense goes for any investment that goes up. The truth is I'm too cautious to merit gains like this on a large scale. But the rally has been fun so far, for sure.

What's driving the pitched tent?

People actually seeing the dollar is wear AF?

I don't think this is US retail purchases. My thinking is the big boys are loading up.

I can go to any number of online PM vendors and find what I want. In stock. No shipping delays. No indications they are swamped with orders.

This may be foreign entities dumping the dollar. They see what we see. They see the ongoing ongoing deficit spending, now topping $1 trillion every 90-100 days. No signs of it slowing. They know this will lead to a weaker US dollar.

There's also the continuing fighting between Ukraine and Russia, Israel and Hamas, and other areas of discontent. China seems to be making more moves towards Taiwan. There's a lot of uneasiness in the world.

Finally the BRICS nations want to displace the US dollar as the world's petrodollar. One way to have the world take their currency seriously is to back it with huge amounts of gold. Not just a fiat currency, but something that has value behind it.

I also wonder if hedge funds are loading up the trucks. They're not dumb. They see the continue mismanagement of our country's finances.

Or something completely different. I wonder if there are folks that know things that we don't. And what they see and think will happen causes them to load up the truck on gold and silver.

Funny how we've all wanted this to happen, but now are puzzled by it.

ETA:

Last edited:
I also wonder if hedge funds are loading up the trucks. They're not dumb. They see the continue mismanagement of our country's finances.
This kind of reasoning makes sense to me, but what matters to a hedge fund ought to be limited to how the market actually trades, for whatever stupid reasons drive it, not how it ought to trade if people had any sense. If the hedge funds are loading up, they're expecting something other than a continuation of the bull market in equities.

I had not dabbled in individual miners, but you guys were talking about First Majestic, so I bought a measly 100 shares for something like $550 total, just for fun. Holy crap! I won't say I wish I'd bought more because that kind of insipid nonsense goes for any investment that goes up. The truth is I'm too cautious to merit gains like this on a large scale. But the rally has been fun so far, for sure.

It’s just getting started! You bought at the right time now enjoy the ride.

20 baggers are rare.

A couple years ago I put a chunk of money in Exxon Mobil. I have a double right now. And the dividend pays for my winter heating bills.

I find that ironic.
Dividends should be nice during the next few years as producers of precious metals have increased cashflow from these higher gold and silver prices. I get a good dividend (that reinvests) with my pm mutual fund too.

A very small handful of junior miners could become the next global producer. Agnico Eagle was once .43 a share. Many will be 2-5 baggers, very few 10-20 baggers, and just maybe one of our holdings will become that newly minted global powerhouse.

I don't think this is US retail purchases. My thinking is the big boys are loading up.

I can go to any number of online PM vendors and find what I want. In stock. No shipping delays. No indications they are swamped with orders.

This may be foreign entities dumping the dollar. They see what we see. They see the ongoing ongoing deficit spending, now topping $1 trillion every 90-100 days. No signs of it slowing. They know this will lead to a weaker US dollar.

There's also the continuing fighting between Ukraine and Russia, Israel and Hamas, and other areas of discontent. China seems to be making more moves towards Taiwan. There's a lot of uneasiness in the world.

Finally the BRICS nations want to displace the US dollar as the world's petrodollar. One way to have the world take their currency seriously is to back it with huge amounts of gold. Not just a fiat currency, but something that has value behind it.

Or something completely different. I wonder if there are folks that know things that we don't. And what they see and think will happen causes them to load up the truck on gold and silver.

ETA:

Yeah, we all predicted this but the timing is strange, why now? All these things were true a year ago when gold was $1800.

ETA:

Great comment

A wild guess.... but

Price of Gold could be related to bitcoin halving. Gold could be a hedge against volatility in crypto

Also we are approaching the longest late stage business economic cycle. Today we are in month 25 and longest a late stage has lasted is 27 months

April 19th, 2024
When is the Next Bitcoin Halving? The next Bitcoin halving is estimated to take place on April 19th, 2024, Bitcoin miners that successfully validate transactions are currently awarded 6.25 new Bitcoin for each mined block. The halving will reduce the block reward to 3.125 BTC.

This kind of reasoning makes sense to me, but what matters to a hedge fund ought to be limited to how the market actually trades, for whatever stupid reasons drive it, not how it ought to trade if people had any sense. If the hedge funds are loading up, they're expecting something other than a continuation of the bull market in equities.

Hedge funds are meant to reduce risk and not try to beat the S&P 500, so gold makes perfect sense. They’re momentum traders so they might bail if gold turns down.

A wild guess.... but

Price of Gold could be related to bitcoin halving. Gold could be a hedge against volatility in crypto

Also we are approaching the longest late stage business economic cycle. Today we are in month 25 and longest a late stage has lasted is 27 months

April 19th, 2024
When is the Next Bitcoin Halving? The next Bitcoin halving is estimated to take place on April 19th, 2024, Bitcoin miners that successfully validate transactions are currently awarded 6.25 new Bitcoin for each mined block. The halving will reduce the block reward to 3.125 BTC.

The gold market at $17 trillion is 10x the size of Bitcoin. It’s not moving cause of Bitcoin.

From the WSJ:

Metal Prices Mixed as Gold Slips But Copper Gains on Positive Data​

1016 GMT – Metal prices are mixed, with copper pulling ahead but gold futures slipping 0.1% to $2,312.6 a troy ounce. The precious metal has, however, rallied 3.3% over the last week and 12% in the year to date, following the Federal Reserve’s reiteration of rate cuts being more than likely this year, SP Angel analysts say in a note. Traders are now pricing in two interest-rate cuts this year, SP Angel says. Elsewhere, copper rises 0.8% to $9,370.5 a metric ton, and 5.6% in the last week alone as manufacturing data improves and supply constraints persist, SP Angel says. The move caught the market by surprise, likely reflecting some short covering and momentum fund inflow—but longer-term demand prospects are improving, with U.S. manufacturing showing a rebound from a sustained downtrend, SP Angel says. ([email protected])

Gold Prices Likely Have Room to Run​

0812 GMT – Gold prices may have further room to run in the medium term, OCBC foreign-exchange strategist Christopher Wong says in a note. The precious metal’s recent price rally has brought gains this year to more than 11%. While the analyst thinks a near-term pullback is possible, given the rapid run-up, he maintains a bullish outlook on gold prices. Wong cites factors such as expectations of a global easing cycle, central banks’ continued purchases of gold and a play-up of the precious metal’s role as a geopolitical hedge. Spot gold is 0.3% lower at $2,293.38/oz after hitting a new record. ([email protected])

Base Metals Rise on Speculative Trading, European Monetary Policy Hopes​

0754 GMT – Base metals rise, benefiting from the continued risk-on appetite that gripped markets earlier this week. Aluminum rises 0.5% to $2,451.5 a ton, while copper gains 0.55% to $9,346.5 a ton. Speculative activity on the LME has surged, which—combined with expectations of relaxed monetary policy outlook in Europe—has sent metal prices to their highest levels in several months, Daria Efanova, head of research at Sucden Financial, says. Gold futures rise 1% to $2,316.9 a troy ounce while LBMA silver rises 2.3% to $26.25 an ounce. “We expect the forthcoming months to be favorable for precious metals, given the potential onset of monetary easing by major central banks and the increasing uncertainty surrounding the outcome of the U.S. elections,” Efanova says in a note. ([email protected])

COMEX Gold Futures’ Bullish Momentum Remains in Play, Chart Shows​

0655 GMT — COMEX gold futures’ bullish momentum remains in play on the daily chart, given price action overnight together with the relative strength index indicator trending upwards, says Joseph Chai, head of Retail Research at RHB, in a commentary. The 20-day and 50-day simple moving averages are still moving upward, suggesting the underlying trend remains bullish, and futures could extend the trend toward $2,400/oz followed by $2,500/oz, Chai says. Despite Wednesday’s break beyond the $2,300/oz resistance level, however, RHB doesn’t rule out possibility of the precious metal undergoing profit-taking, says Chai who pegs support at $2,250/oz. Spot gold is 0.1% lower at $2,295.50/oz. ([email protected])

I expected to see the price of gold jump after Blinken's announcement about Ukraine and NATO. Instead it took a dive.

As always, my advice is free, but my predictions suck...

However, I am sure gold will either go up or down tomorrow.

:)

My predictions are the absolute worst [thumbsup]. Fortunately I never try to time anything. I just buy what I can afford when I can afford it.
I expected to see the price of gold jump after Blinken's announcement about Ukraine and NATO. Instead it took a dive.

As always, my advice is free, but my predictions suck...

However, I am sure gold will either go up or down tomorrow.

:)

I stopped out of a risky 3x leveraged etn GDXU after a massive run and moving up my stops to capture gains. No problem as I plan to load back up with more shares if it dips more during the jobs numbers tomorrow and if silver closes the weekly above $26.

Back
Top Bottom