• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Bars of the precious metal were stolen from a shipping container in Montreal, Quebec, on January 2020. Suspects took off with USD$11 million worth of pure silver in bullion form.

Since then, police have partially recovered some of the physical metal in Toronto, British Columbia and Massachusetts, USA.

I'm good. All mine are dated 2017...

1635438229555.png

Noob interested in buying gold and silver... any recommendations for vendors? Are coins an easy way to get going?
Stay with the Big Metals companies for less exposure to fakes. Be leery of the little eBay sellers or Overseas sellers.

Buy Gold & Silver Bullion Online | Free Shipping - JM Bullion
Precious Metals Dealer | Buy Gold and Silver
Buy Gold Silver Bullion & Coins Online I Lowest Price- SD Bullion

Start with one or two low volume purchases and see if you are treated well and happy with what you receive,

Then set up so that you don't need to use your Credit Card and have an electronic payment method available for the best pricing.

Whenever possible, structure your purchases to take advantage of multiple item purchases. (Example: 1-5 coins equal a higher price point. 6-10 coin purchase offers a buck less per coin; etc.}

You can sometimes do better with a Credit Card if that card offers "Cash Back" benefits, and you are keeping your purchase volume low.

Lastly, take advantage of NES Classifieds by posting a "WTB" offer. Just like firearms, try to buy PM's only from long-standing, well-vetted Green Members with excellent Feedback.

Chances are if they didn't screw someone on a firearms deal, they won't screw you on a Precious Metals deal.

Finally, Be fair and Truthful in all your dealings; and it will be far more Precious than the metals...

~Enbloc

Think that’s true everywhere online too if shipping to Mass. but some vendors do it wrong.

I can report that JM Bullion does this properly. I always purchase above the $1,000 threshold (average about $2,000 per transaction) and have never had an issue with them regarding inadvertently charging state tax.

Stay with the Big Metals companies for less exposure to fakes. Be leery of the little eBay sellers or Overseas sellers.
Bingo. Even dealers have been stuck with fake coins and bars of reasonably high quality.

If you are selling privately (NES), the original invoice from a big name like one of those mentioned will make the product much more appealing to the paranoid.

Do on line vendors report purchases to .gov?
My inner paranoid self says, if it's purchased electronically and with a method other than cash, the .Gov can see it if they really want to.

Walking in with a fist-full of $100's to a local coin/metals store... not so much.

In these times, I'd be less afraid of reporting... than price per ounce and authentic silver or gold content.

My inner paranoid self says, if it's purchased electronically and with a method other than cash, the .Gov can see it if they really want to.

Walking in with a fist-full of $100's to a local coin/metals store... not so much.

In these times, I'd be less afraid of reporting... than price per ounce and authentic silver or gold content.
A90301EC-8525-4811-A86D-40E1BFE22977.jpeg

$$$$$$

Thermo Scientific Niton XL2800 XRF Analyzer Gold Precious Metals XL2 Alloys | eBay

$14,999.00 (used) before tax... 😍
s-l1600.jpg

Think that’s true everywhere online too if shipping to Mass. but some vendors do it wrong.
Many online dealers still rely on you to report sales tax info. I won't say who because technically they are required to charge sales tax for your state of origin.
Do on line vendors report purchases to .gov?
If over $10k I think they have to.
Yea, 10 K is the number. SALES to the dealers will get you a 1099 for any number the dealer sees fit to report.
I always purchase above the $1,000 threshold (average about $2,000 per transaction) and have never had an issue with them regarding inadvertently charging state tax.
It depends on the dealer. Some do, some don't. Ask up front.
FYI some out of state eBay sellers charge that sales tax as well.
I went round and round with eBay on this to the point where I sent them a copy of MA law and they still refused to not charge sales tax. I don't believe it is the out of state dealers that are charging this, it is eBay to the best of my knowledge.

I went round and round with eBay on this to the point where I sent them a copy of MA law and they still refused to not charge sales tax. I don't believe it is the out of state dealers that are charging this, it is eBay to the best of my knowledge.

If it were an eBay policy it would be consistent across sellers. The rules vary from seller to seller I've found.

If I see sales tax applied where it should not be I just don't buy. Adding 6.25% to the cost of a PM purchase makes it far less desirable.

Back
Top Bottom