Gold and silver prices are down

I was buying walking liberty 1/2 dollars for the last couple years. Whenever I saw them for less that $7.50 including any shipping/insurance, I bought them. I just priced them on JM and they are over 10.10 now and as high as 10.60. That's not a bad run up for a couple years.

Have the Hunt Brothers come back to life???

I sold before the peak back then. Somehow, I missed that last $40.00 silver and did not sell. I though that it was a one way street. At $22.00+ today, I am holding. I don't know if I can hold on $35+ silver. That is a 400% over 11 years and I would love to step out as I did under the Hunts and buy right back in after the drop.

I wonder how the shorts are doing today?

I sold everything we had when it hit $40 last time , so missed the last 20% of the run up. Did very well though.

I've sold a little here and there to test the market, and luckily put all the profits (except for my daughter's 1st semester college payment) into gold. I will continue to hedge the rise every now and then, but not really interested in selling big chunks till at least $40ish again.

I sold everything we had when it hit $40 last time , so missed the last 20% of the run up. Did very well though.

I've sold a little here and there to test the market, and luckily put all the profits (except for my daughter's 1st semester college payment) into gold. I will continue to hedge the rise every now and then, but not really interested in selling big chunks till at least $40ish again.

Some investor said he got rich letting the other guy make the last 10%. [laugh]

Gold isn't that far off the all time high at this point.

If it hits $50 I will sell what I have and wait for it to fall agin before reinvesting. I bought most of my stash between $30-$35.

Lots of them here:

I keep explaining to newbies about the dollar vs silver when you consider you could buy a brand new in the showroom 1963 Impala SS convertible with all the bells and whistles for 3200 US Silver dollars. Those dollars are worth well more than $20 apiece today and if you plowed 1500 to 2K a year to keep that 63 car up to snuff, you would have invested an additional 85K, money out. I'll hold silver thanks and be 60K to the good side.

Here's a couple:

dg.jpeg

dol.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are good charts. I generally consider this "purchasing power" of gold when I look at historic catalogues, home prices, etc. remembering that at that time (usually late 1800's I'm looking at) $20 was roughly an ounce of gold. Now other factors play in of course and this isn't an exact but it gives me a sense.

If it hits $50 I will sell what I have and wait for it to fall agin before reinvesting. I bought most of my stash between $30-$35.

expecting a triple top at $50 silver? depends how soon we get to $50. I don't think the PM bull market will end until the Fed is disbanded. And maybe not after that.

Lots of them here:

I keep explaining to newbies about the dollar vs silver when you consider you could buy a brand new in the showroom 1963 Impala SS convertible with all the bells and whistles for 3200 US Silver dollars. Those dollars are worth well more than $20 apiece today and if you plowed 1500 to 2K a year to keep that 63 car up to snuff, you would have invested an additional 85K, money out. I'll hold silver thanks and be 60K to the good side.

Here's a couple:

View attachment 374599

View attachment 374600

Confused by this. Seems to mean that silver today has much greater purchasing power than in 1963. Maybe cause PMs were very undervalued then since the price was fixed. Or dollar overvalued.

Which makes sense, PM prices exploded in the 70s.

Silver has been stagnant for so long even with all the FED shenanigans. I just don't have a lot of faith in a big run up anytime in the near future. What is your prediction?

Not stagnant. It was $50 in 2011, dropped to $12, now almost double that, all in 9 years.

It's primarily an industrial metal but in crisis times the monetary aspect becomes more important. When gold is $2000, silver starts to look really cheap at $20. So it's really gold's rally that is dragging silver along for the ride. And you can see what happens once silver gets momentum.

Not stagnant. It was $50 in 2011, dropped to $12, now almost double that, all in 9 years.

Yea... I kick my ass for not selling then. I am Dollar cost averaged in at $8.00.

I've bought at $3.00, sold at $5.50.
I've bought at $7.00 sold at $9.00
I bought at $8.00 and am still holding. Should have bailed at $40.00 (Hunt brothers number revisted in 2011)

So what say you all? We passing $40 again?

I am looking forward to the Gold Silver Ratio dropping to 60. That is a no brainer.

dropped to $12, now almost double that, all in 9 years.

My old rule of thumb was that if a product/item/material performed at 10% a year, it was a thing to buy. Double in 9 years, works for me.

Last edited:

I'm already nostalgic for the $16 silver.

Me too. It was fun to buy a roll of silver eagles for $330 after Ebay bucks. Now it's like $600. :(

And mining stocks that were $1.50 are now $4. For a bargain shopper it's like shopping at Bass Pro.

And that is the question. Are today's prices bargains, or too expensive???

The spot price is the spot price. But I'm a bargain hunter too, always trying to buy with the least amount of premium over spot. And that's just not possible now.

So I'll wait...

Back
Top Bottom