• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gohmert: Without a change to how children are taught, 'We're going to have to get rid of the Second Amendment'

Reptile

NES Member

Gohmert claimed that 'the Constitution won't work' unless children learn right from wrong​

The House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security held a hearing Thursday on finding a solution to gun violence, and the difference of opinion between Democrats and Republicans was put on full display.

Passions ran high given the sensitivity of the issues involved, as liberal lawmakers focused on weapons and conservatives on the people who use them. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, a former judge who handled felony cases, was in the latter group and focused on the need to instill morality in people, citing Judeo-Christian principles. He went so far as to say it is the bedrock of the nation's founding principles, and that the effectiveness of the Constitution depends on it.

"We gotta get back to teaching there is a right or wrong or, I agree with everybody here, we’re going to have to get rid of the Second Amendment, we’re going to have to get rid of Freedom of Speech, we’re going to have to get rid of freedom of assembly," Gohmert said. "This Constitution won’t work the way we are teaching children."

Continues...

We don’t relinquish God-given rights because schools and shitty parents are failing their children. Gohmert says a lot of stupid shit, but this one is surprising even for him. If everyone abided by right and wrong, we wouldn’t need the Constitution or guns. Both are insurance against those that don’t abide by right and wrong.

Isn't CT trying to get 'Ethan's Law' passed? Where you would have to store your guns at home fully disassembled, in a locked case or safe, and keep your 10-round or lower capacity mags unloaded, and also stored in a locked case or safe, separate from the disassembled gun safe?

Isn't his term in Congress over? Or did he run for Texas AG without giving up on Congress? I want to know who fed him that bullshit story from Lt. General Mcinteryne, and who was paying the Lt. General to bullshit people.

Isn't CT trying to get 'Ethan's Law' passed? Where you would have to store your guns at home fully disassembled, in a locked case or safe, and keep your 10-round or lower capacity mags unloaded, and also stored in a locked case or safe, separate from the disassembled gun safe?

That was signed into law in 2019. Firearms must be stored and inaccesable to a minor 17 or younger at any time. Nothing about disassembled or any of that other bs. No minors around? Store the gun in your dutch oven. No one cares.

imagine going to jail because your only remaining screwdriver broke, and the police came before you could get back from Lowes....

"The second amendment is at risk today because of the way our children are raised and the countries overall mental health" is a better way of putting it.

The US has had a plethora of guns for the past 246+ years, that has never changed. What has changed is people and how we treat eachother.

"The second amendment is at risk today because of the way our children are raised and the countries overall mental health" is a better way of putting it.

The US has had a plethora of guns for the past 246+ years, that has never changed. What has changed is people and how we treat eachother.

The consumption of processed food and use of SSRI’s have both skyrocketed in the last 50 years.

Methinks Rep. Gohmert's real message went right over the heads of some. He is not anti-2A or anti-Constitution. Rather, he is indirectly pointing out the fact that laws (including the Constitution) can't possibly work forever if there is no sense of right vs. wrong (a.k.a., "morality") being instilled in our children.

Is he wrong about that?

Methinks Rep. Gohmert's real message went right over the heads of some. He is not anti-2A or anti-Constitution. Rather, he is indirectly pointing out the fact that laws (including the Constitution) can't possibly work forever if there is no sense of right vs. wrong (a.k.a., "morality") being instilled in our children.

Is he wrong about that?
Maybe he should be a little more direct. Just say what you mean, don't leave room for interpretation and twisting speech.

Is he wrong about that?
I think maybe what he, perhaps inartfully, is trying to say is a paraphrasing of a quote by John Adams.

“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Bullshit. The government's role isn't to teach morality or to instill judeo-christian values. The effectiveness of the constitution isn't dependent on that, and shouldn't be abandoned because society's morals have slipped and are headed in the wrong direction.

"We gotta get back to teaching there is a right or wrong or, I agree with everybody here, we’re going to have to get rid of the Second Amendment, we’re going to have to get rid of Freedom of Speech, we’re going to have to get rid of freedom of assembly," Gohmert said. "This Constitution won’t work the way we are teaching children."

I get that he's making a point, but it reads like a concession that the constitution is obsolete because the liberals are winning.

Last edited:

Is he wrong about that?
Correct!

So get rid of the constitution because society is failing to teach kids right and wrong? I think he's generally a pretty reasonable guy, but this was a stupid point/comment.

Last edited:
"I get that he's making a point, but it reads like a concession that the constitution is obsolete because the liberals are winning."

No, I believe he is saying if we/schools don't teach our kids the difference between right and wrong then the Constitution and BOR's are no longer relevant in an immoral society. If individual citizens don't respect the rights of their fellow citizens and don't believe in them then they are a waste of the paper they were written on.

Is he wrong about that?
I disagree. Immoral people go to jail ALL THE TIME. You, I, nor the court gives two shits if you somehow never learned morality when the justice system throw the book at you for killing someone. I don't care if you somehow never learned that you can't break into someones' home at 2am and not expect me to empty a 12 gauge into you. The "I didn't know" defense doesn't work here. Again, the Constitution and specifically 2A exist as insurance to protect you against the "I didn't know better" a**h***s.

No, I believe he is saying if we/schools don't teach our kids the difference between right and wrong then the Constitution and BOR's are no longer relevant in an immoral society. If individual citizens don't respect the rights of their fellow citizens and don't believe in them then they are a waste of the paper they were written on.

How does that work? The right to keep and bear arms is no longer relevant when kids aren't being taught right and wrong? And you think it's on schools (The State?!) to teach kids right and wrong?

It makes no sense.

I disagree. Immoral people go to jail ALL THE TIME. You, I, nor the court gives two shits if you somehow never learned morality when the justice system throw the book at you for killing someone. I don't care if you somehow never learned that you can't break into someones' home at 2am and not expect me to empty a 12 gauge into you. The "I didn't know" defense doesn't work here. Again, the Constitution and specifically 2A exist as insurance to protect you against the "I didn't know better" a**h***s.
The point is if our society/citizens have no understanding of right and wrong then no words on a piece of paper matter.
For an example see the current lawlessness from the Black Youts, they have no concept of right or wrong and believe their actions are either justified because of (fill in the blank) or because it's survival of the fittest. Same as Leftists harassing/attacking Conservatives, Judges, Cops, Pro-Like Folks, etc. They BELIEVE their actions are justified because some Leftist Professor at Columbia told them so. Do you think Antifa/BLM members think they did anything wrong by rioting and burning our cities? The answer is NO!

The point is if our society/citizens have no understanding of right and wrong then no words on a piece of paper matter.
For an example see the current lawlessness from the Black Youts, they have no concept of right or wrong and believe their actions are either justified because of (fill in the blank) or because it's survival of the fittest. Same as Leftists harassing/attacking Conservatives, Judges, Cops, Pro-Like Folks, etc. They BELIEVE their actions are justified because some Leftist Professor at Columbia told them so. Do you think Antifa/BLM members think they did anything wrong by rioting and burning our cities? The answer is NO!

So abandon all law because some people act lawlessly and get away with it sometimes? What do concepts of right and wrong have to do with the constitution?

How does that work? The right to keep and bear arms is no longer relevant when kids aren't being taught right and wrong? And you think it's on schools (The State?!) to teach kids right and wrong?

It makes no sense.
Of course it does, if Parents/Teachers don't teach their kids morals and values then The Constitution means nothing. If parents/teachers don't teach children that we live in a free society protected by the Constitution and the BOR's then they are worthless. If kids are taught the Constitution was written by a bunch of Wealthy White Slave owners and NOT relevant to today, it's worthless.
Get It?

The only interpretation of what he says that makes sense is that he was saying that people can no longer be trusted with free speech, or guns, once they’ve lost their morality. f*** that nonsense.

So abandon all law because some people act lawlessly and get away with it sometimes? What do concepts of right and wrong have to do with the constitution?
Agreed. The idea that we should just hang it up because kids today are morons that are either being taught by morons or not taught at all is laughable. Again, I'm not relinquishing my rights because some a**h*** kid had shitty parents and teachers. This is the dumbest argument I've seen since the reparations arguments started. It's not MY problem if you're an ignorant piece of shit that somehow never learned morality and right and wrong. Its your problem when I shoot you in the face for breaking into my home at 2am because you somehow didnt know any better.

Back
Top Bottom