GOAL's H.1568 An Act Relative to Civil Rights and Public Safety

There are too many ways for your average, law-abiding, firearms owner to get royally screwed in here.

(a) Upon revocation or suspension of a firearm identification card, or of any machine gun license, the person whose card was so revoked or suspended shall without delay deliver or surrender to the local licensing agent, all firearms, machine guns and ammunition which he then possesses.

(b) Unless a person is arrested for a crime or proven guilty of committing a violent crime, no entity shall revoke or suspend a firearm identification card unless the entity has obtained a court order.

Uhhhh I can get arrested in this state for LOOKING at a cop the wrong way.

GOAL has responded numerous times to the $1 issue. WHY AREN'T THEY RESPONDING TO THIS!???

This language is beyond troubling. And if people weren't in favor because of the $1, this should be an outright deal breaker.

Once again, the dollar issue is not on this bill, or any other bill that we filed.

Goto http://www.malegislature.gov/Bills/187/House/H01568

Click on "BILL TEXT".

Search for "$1 of the fee shall be payable to the Gun Owners".

You will see a match under section 13.

I'm not sure how there can be a statement that it's NOT anywhere in the bill when it IS somewhere in the bill.

That being said, I believe you guys edited it out from the FID card section, but left it in under the green card section as an honest mistake/typo. I do not think you are trying to leave this in on purpose, but I also feel like there is not strong coordination or authority from GOAL on what is in and not in the bill.

Andy, if it is on the MA link it's not supposed to be, and will be removed.

This is not in play, is not a factor, and will not be part of the legislation moving forward.

GOAL has responded numerous times to the $1 issue. WHY AREN'T THEY RESPONDING TO THIS!???

We are on it, and will make changes, this proposed legislation is not in it's final form.

Last edited by a moderator:
smilie_couch.gif

Once again, the dollar issue is not on this bill, or any other bill that we filed.

I respectfully disagree. You may not have intended it to be in this version of the bill, but it most certainly IS in there. Perhaps there was some mix up or Rep Peterson's staff filed the wrong (previous) version of the bill. Either way, H1568 includes the $1 provision.

Someone needs to check on this and be sure the correct text is submitted to the committee. Considering that both chairs have A+ ratings and are endorsed by GOAL, I would hope that they are receptive to substituting the intended language.

Edit: H1568 is simply a refile of the language from H2259, so any changes you made to the bill for this session are likely not in there at the moment.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. You may not have intended it to be in this version of the bill, but it most certainly IS in there. Perhaps there was some mix up or Rep Peterson's staff filed the wrong (previous) version of the bill. Either way, H1568 includes the $1 provision.

Someone needs to check on this and be sure the correct text is submitted to the committee. Considering that both chairs have A+ ratings and are endorsed by GOAL, I would hope that they are receptive to substituting the intended language.

Edit: H1568 is simply a refile of the language from H2259, so any changes you made to the bill for this session are likely not in there at the moment.

CB1, I want you to be sure, that today in the committe, Jim made reference to this and said it is or will be removed.

Well, this has been a very enlightening day.

I took the afternoon off, met Luv2BFree and we took the T into Boston to attend the committee meeting.

The first thing I would like to point out is that there about 30 people in attendance or so. The room had room easily for 20-25 more. Had 25 of you armchair quarterbacks gotten off the couch and attended, we could have had the room overflowing - or at least would have had it SRO. Nice showing. (Yes, this was the first time I'd gone... and I'm ashamed that it took me so long. Be assured that I'll be making sure it's not the last time - at least, as long as I'm living in this state).

BTW... it lasted about two hours, and NONE of the committee members left during the entire two hours. Not sure why it happened this way, Len... but that's did happen. I stayed for the entire thing.

I'll address other points individually.

I certainly understand wanting to get folks to attend the committee meeting. While I currently have an obligation -- I'm working to free that up and will attend for a few hours if at all possible. I did send a letter to my state rep (who is a sponsor of 1568) expressing my general position and thoughts (adding that I was unable to attend due to the generous 48-hour notice).

What I don't understand, and many others here have expressed in their own posts, is how we ended up with a bill that claims to be about a "civil right" yet requires no burden of proof to "suspend" that right.

Were you there, Andy?

Anyway, Jim Wallace told the committee that he wanted to change the phrasing in the section to only require the surrendering if someone is convicted. So that change is in there.

GOAL's office is too far away for me to show up there more than once every few years. And that is the only reason why I've never run for the GOAL BOD . . . if I lived closer I would have done it years ago, but I'm a firm believer that one must participate and not just hold office.

Len, you're invited over here any time you want to get to the GOAL office. You know that I'm just 5 miles down the road from them.

I wonder how many of you who are complaining will actually make it to the state house today and/or have called your legislators. hmmmm?

Very few, as you and I saw at the meeting.

I appreciate GOAL's efforts to drum up meeting attendees but, the tone of some of the comments send the message of "If you don't show up, you won't be heard". I truly hope this isn't the case and feedback shared in this thread is just as official as any other form of communication to GOAL.

Of the 200,000+ gun owners in the Commonwealth, less than 40 showed up to discuss legislation that directly impacts them. Why do you think that the committee members will take us seriously if so few of us even can be bothered to show up?

Well, this has been a very enlightening day.

I took the afternoon off, met Luv2BFree and we took the T into Boston to attend the committee meeting.

The first thing I would like to point out is that there about 30 people in attendance or so. The room had room easily for 20-25 more. Had 25 of you armchair quarterbacks gotten off the couch and attended, we could have had the room overflowing - or at least would have had it SRO. Nice showing. (Yes, this was the first time I'd gone... and I'm ashamed that it took me so long. Be assured that I'll be making sure it's not the last time - at least, as long as I'm living in this state).

BTW... it lasted about two hours, and NONE of the committee members left during the entire two hours. Not sure why it happened this way, Len... but that's did happen. I stayed for the entire thing.

I'll address other points individually.

Were you there, Andy?

Anyway, Jim Wallace told the committee that he wanted to change the phrasing in the section to only require the surrendering if someone is convicted. So that change is in there.

Len, you're invited over here any time you want to get to the GOAL office. You know that I'm just 5 miles down the road from them.

Very few, as you and I saw at the meeting.

Of the 200,000+ gun owners in the Commonwealth, less than 40 showed up to discuss legislation that directly impacts them. Why do you think that the committee members will take us seriously if so few of us even can be bothered to show up?

um, yeah, nice job patting yourself on the back.

i know the folks at GOAL PERSONALLY too. and when i say PERSONALLY, i don't mean from NES shoots.

i could NOT make it either. i shared some of the same beefs posted on this same thread "off line" with them as well.

i'm glad you made it though. to everyone else who took time off and made it, i thank you all as well.

some of us do NOT have that option.

good Job though. [grin]

Thanks for going! While I'm no fan of keyboard commandos neither would I condemn someone for not making it out on a work day. This is the same reason why the Teaparty rallies aren't bigger - most people have jobs.

I wasn't there today and I'm not proud of it. We have no one to blame but ourselves if the only time we show passion or interest for our rights is while posting on a forum catering to gun owners. [sad2]

i could NOT make it either.

This is the first time I've been able to make it, myself. But I wonder how much we're hurting our cause with the small turnouts. I read about some of the things that groups like VCDL accomplishes (Virginia) with large turnouts for their events and wonder what we could do if we could pack the rooms in the state house. Would we be taken more seriously?

This is the first time I've been able to make it, myself. But I wonder how much we're hurting our cause with the small turnouts. I read about some of the things that groups like VCDL accomplishes (Virginia) with large turnouts for their events and wonder what we could do if we could pack the rooms in the state house. Would we be taken more seriously?

lets say we live in Texas... better Utah.

some douche files a bill to restrict the 2A. you could tell your boss, "hey, i am taking a vacation day because i am going to that meeting"

now say you live in MA. you work for the gov, a school, or a private business owned by a sheep. you say "hey, i need to go to my son's doctor's appointment, i need tomorrow morning off"

-then, a picture of you holding a gadsen flag shows up on the front page of the Herald.

kiss your job goodbye. follow me?

i know this is probably an extreme case. how far is the paternity clinic from beacon hill? i probably could have swung it now that i think about it. so when i got t-boned or run over by a sheep leaving the meeting i would have had an alibi.

[laugh]

[smile]

For MA voters....

There is much discussion about the numbers showing up for the committee hearings. While a better showing may be better, keep in mind that it is also equally important to contact your state reps (House, Senate) and weigh in with your 'constituent' view on these bills. I was unable to attend today on such short notice, but I also contact GOAL and my reps in advance of the hearing today, weighing in with my views.

Bottom line, continue by following up with your state reps.

some douche files a bill to restrict the 2A. you could tell your boss, "hey, i am taking a vacation day because i am going to that meeting"

now say you live in MA. you work for the gov, a school, or a private business owned by a sheep. you say "hey, i need to go to my son's doctor's appointment, i need tomorrow morning off"

If you lived in Texas, you wouldn't need to take a vacation day to go. In fact, your boss would probably go with you and pay for the beef jerky for the ride. [smile]

Did anyone mention that Jim/GOAL pulled the $1 bit and the the "arrested" (vs "convicted") issue at today's meeting?

Thanks Jim - I think that was definitely the right thing to do.

Did anyone mention that Jim/GOAL pulled the $1 bit and the the "arrested" (vs "convicted") issue at today's meeting?

Thanks Jim - I think that was definitely the right thing to do.

Yeah. It was great to hear him mention the GOAL membership when talking to the committee too. I will definitely be attending future hearings.

Were you there, Andy?

I was, unfortunately, not able to make it due to work. I'm obviously appreciative of the folks that were able to go.

I'm really glad to hear that the feedback we had in this thread late last night made it to GOAL and they addressed those points in the bill. That's fantastic! I'm following up with my rep and encourage everyone to do the same. I'll also be sending a letter to the committee.

On the turnout --

Less than 40 showed up because there was essentially no notice for the meeting and the only way to find out about it was through NES. It's great we have NES otherwise we'd be really screwed. To really get a standing room only crowd we need a few weeks notice (at least a week) and mobilization of large clubs throughout the state. We need buses just like the left has. People from Western and Central Mass don't like the thought of driving into Boston (I don't mind at all, but I know many who do).

My club has roughly 350 members. If we could send an e-mail blast and get only 5% to show up it would be huge. Repeated state-wide it would be massive. Heck 9% of them should be unemployed anyways and have nothing to do! [wink]

I am going to discuss this at my next club meeting and see what we can get setup. I'm sure the anti's will have a session we will need to attend.

Last edited:

-then, a picture of you holding a gadsen flag shows up on the front page of the Herald.

kiss your job goodbye. follow me?

Funny you should mention this... that's what I did. Asked my boss yesterday if I could take this afternoon off to attend a committee meeting at the state house on gun control bills... and since there's an Appleseed poster up in my cubicle, my boss KNOWS which side I'm on! [laugh] Even though he's a lib, he didn't have a problem with me taking the time, so I'm lucky that way.

Like I said, it's one of the first times since I started reading about these meetings on NES that I had the chance to attend. But I see your point, and it's a good one. Not sure I know what to say to people in your situation other than don't get photographed with a Gadsden flag. [wink]

My club has roughly 350 members. If we could send an e-mail blast and get only 5% to show up it would be huge. Repeated state-wide it would be massive. Heck 9% of them should be unemployed anyways and have nothing to do! [wink]

I am going to discuss this at my next club meeting and see what we can get setup. I'm sure the anti's will have a session we will need to attend.

Excellent idea - let us know how your club reacts. I think I'll mention this to the HSC board, too.

Back
Top Bottom