• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOA Mailings

Was wondering what the consensus is among NES concerning the pre-printed "mail these cards to your senator(s) and Congress critter" in support of 2A issues that we recive from NRA, GOA, etc. Just got a GOA packet today with such enclosed. I'm in NH but I can't envision Chris Pappas, Maggie Hassan or Jeanne Shaheen changing their very blue stripes because they received a postcard from me. Does this do ANY good? I', thinking they just pitch 'em. What say you?

It all boils down to how worried they are that activists are willing and able to muster the resources to make reelection a expensive, difficult or, even impossible. The more the advocacy seems to be an indicator of a real worry about other term, the more likely things don't go badly. If they see signs that there's money, door knocking, press, real grassroots effort behind an issue, the 'cost' to act against the interest from their constituents rises. So...

Personal and as direct s possible contact is always better. It suggests you're one of any, the one guy who called with the 100 friends who agree but didn't bother to call. Phone even in person far better than email or petition clicks, but... Something is vastly better than nothing. You can't let yourself off the hook having done 'something' nevertheless, something is much better something than nothing. If 100k people get to the level of calls and visits and million more send response cards that's meaningful.

And now the prt I get bashed for a lot.... Polite, professional, coherent and unequivocally legal advocacy matters a lot. Come off as a nutter, they can, and will discount you, or, worse yet, use an unhinged rant against the cause.

i don't imagine it does anything but if they get a mail sack dropped off in their office they might take pause for a moment and think. think about changing their view...no. but just the amount of cards in the sack says it all.

It all boils down to how worried they are that activists are willing and able to muster the resources to make reelection a expensive, difficult or, even impossible. The more the advocacy seems to be an indicator of a real worry about other term, the more likely things don't go badly. If they see signs that there's money, door knocking, press, real grassroots effort behind an issue, the 'cost' to act against the interest from their constituents rises. So...

Personal and as direct s possible contact is always better. It suggests you're one of any, the one guy who called with the 100 friends who agree but didn't bother to call. Phone even in person far better than email or petition clicks, but... Something is vastly better than nothing. You can't let yourself off the hook having done 'something' nevertheless, something is much better something than nothing. If 100k people get to the level of calls and visits and million more send response cards that's meaningful.

And now the prt I get bashed for a lot.... Polite, professional, coherent and unequivocally legal advocacy matters a lot. Come off as a nutter, they can, and will discount you, or, worse yet, use an unhinged rant against the cause.

Absolutely on target as far as tactics. Those postcards will NEVER change their minds (nothing ever will) but receiving enough of them should at least remind them they're in for an argument.

But postcards "alone" will do nothing.

We also need people calling, writing letters with topical arguments, perhaps with an intro that sucks them in, thinking they have a supporter and then wham, here's the core argument on why they s**k as congress critters...

Anybody have an AI account they can use to generate thoughtful "custom" letters?

Here's one from Bing, but hundreds of variations sent from thousands of Mass gun owners might make a point.

Dear __________,

I am writing to you as a concerned citizen and a resident of your district. I urge you to vote against HD.4420, an act modernizing firearm laws, which is currently pending in the Massachusetts legislature.

This bill is not a reasonable or effective way to address the problem of gun violence in our state. Instead, it is a sweeping and unconstitutional assault on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and sportsmen. It would impose burdensome and arbitrary restrictions on the types, features, and parts of firearms that citizens can own, possess, or carry. It would also create new bureaucratic hurdles and costs for gun owners, retailers, and instructors.

Some of the most egregious provisions of this bill include:

• A new, broad “assault weapons ban” that would outlaw many commonly owned rifles and shotguns, including those that were legally purchased before the state’s previous ban.
  • A ban on all federally legally tax-stamped automatic firearms, which are already heavily regulated and rarely used in crimes.
  • A ban on carrying any gun, loaded or unloaded, in schools, polling places, government buildings, and private property without the owner’s express consent or posted signage.
  • A mandate for registration of all guns and feeding devices, creating a de facto gun registry that could be abused by the government.
  • A mandate for reporting any modifications or new parts to a gun, infringing on the right to repair and customize one’s own property.
  • A mandate for serializing all firearm parts, creating a logistical nightmare and a potential source of legal liability for gun owners.
  • A ban on anyone under 21 from acquiring or carrying any semi-automatic rifle or shotgun, depriving young adults of their right to self-defense and hunting.
  • A ban on anyone under 15 from taking part in shooting sports and training, discouraging the development of safe and responsible gun handling skills among youth.
These measures would not make Massachusetts safer or reduce crime. They would only punish and harass law-abiding citizens who exercise their constitutional right to keep and bear arms. They would also create a patchwork of confusing and conflicting laws that would make it difficult for gun owners to comply or travel across state lines.

As your constituent, I ask you to respect the Second Amendment rights of your voters and oppose HD.4420. This bill is an extreme and unacceptable proposal that does not reflect the views or values of the majority of Massachusetts residents. Please vote NO on HD.4420 and any similar legislation that would infringe on our right to keep and bear arms.

Thank you for your attention and your service.

Sincerely,

Your name Your address

As Signes said, it's more about them flexing THEIR muscles when visiting than getting any sort of traction with your specific congress critter. When Layne Whappier walks into XYZ Senator's office in DC, he can point to the cardboard box of cards that the Senator received from NRA members and show how listening to Layne is in the Senator's best interest.

I think for FEDERAL issues, I'd send the cards. (Although I don't - LOL - we're talking the most liberal politicians in America that represent me.) Local issue - I'm sending my own email. I'm up to 7 or 8 alone on HD 4420. Probably will send another next week. Just to keep in front of the issue. Remind them we won't forget just because they had a summer break.

Back
Top Bottom