• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your Gun and Shooting Goals for 2024?

Go up in classification for USPSA and SCSA and show constant progress in regards to my scores...

Try to purchase a 50 BMG rifle before the ban...

I had saved up and bought a nice scope or two. It was fun seeing how close I could get using sandbags etc but I started feeling I was losing my skill at shooting offhand, using iron sights, etc. When I was in the Marines I never used a scope, no one did. So I took all the red dots and scopes off my rifles and now just use open sights. My vision isn’t perfect, but I have worked with the eye doc and have a few pairs that are decent. It is kind of like fishing with an old Mitchell 300, surely not the latest and greatest, but it sure is fun. Speaking of that, I have a few really nice .22’s from the 50’s that sat unfired because I didn’t want to scratch or use them. I’m 68 years old!!! I have no one to leave my guns to so why am I keeping them in perfect condition… nope, they are going to get used as they should. All my life I have gotten all worked up about the latest and greatest thinking it would make me so much better, they didn’t. So now me and my wife take a few out every week and goof off and get some fresh air. I go by myself every other day even just to shoot 6 rounds, she goes about once a week. And that’s my story…

I bought a Rockriver LAR 8 that I’ve taken out to 300 yard with good accuracy. Have a couple thousand rounds of mixed ammo and she’s still running well.

I have its granddaddy, a BAR-10 modified. Tight groups with any good ammunition. Really a thoughtful concept of using the common FN-FAL inch and metric pattern magazines as opposed to the propitiatory ones that were offered by other manufactures. Back then, the FN mags were plentiful and inexpensive, new, still in the packaging, 20 rounders were less than $5.00 ea, more so if you got them in packs. I have a bunch of 20's and a handful of 5's. I have the 5's for states that put a limit on round counts when hunting but can use rifles.

If you want to know a bit about the lineage, Bushmaster released it (BAR-10 vs LAR-8) around 2004 and stopped about 2005 or so. It was a design created by RRA that Bushmaster leased. The main concern at the time was that in order to use the FN-FAL mags, the bolt lost one of its locking lugs. Critics claimed that by its removal the bolt was bound to fail and failed they did, sort of but not because of the missing lug. The failure occurred to the tail end of the bolt. About a 1/2" up from the back of the tail was a manufactures score mark. It was at that point that it would snap and shear the 1/2" end tail off. It didn't affect the rifle in either operation or performance but the damage was done. The critics patted themselves on the back for their engineering prowess while crowing it far and wide, couple that with an MRSP of $1800.00 for a defective gun, sales went off a cliff and that was that even with Bushmaster removing the score mark (hence the modified version) and replacing the broken bolts for freebies. They gave the design back to RRA who sat on it for a few years then rereleased it as the LAR-8. Most of the parts (if not all, I don't know for sure) are interchangeable.

As for the threads OP: My goal is to plunk my butt down on the plinking range with a few .22's on a nice sunny day and reek havoc on some cans, golfballs, stuffed animals and an assortment of other desperados.

1) order a couple of suppressors once I am officially a NH resident in April 2) Build a range on my property 3) have fun shooting at my range 4) receive suppressors hopefully by October

Continue to load up on ammunition, powder, primers and bullets.

Finish developing loads for 308, 223 and 6.5creedmor.

Get into the action pit more often and train with our handguns.

Buy a citori cxs.

Go shoot trap for the first time.

Shoot a black bear and a coyote.

Continue to load up on ammunition, powder, primers and bullets.

Finish developing loads for 308, 223 and 6.5creedmor.

Get into the action pit more often and train with our handguns.

Buy a citori cxs.

Go shoot trap for the first time.

Shoot a black bear and a coyote.
The first three I'm putting you on the Montana Militia notice list.

If you ever come back here (not sure why you would) your welcome to shoot skeet/trap with me all you want...I'll even supply the Citori and shells.

The first three I'm putting you on the Montana Militia notice list.

If you ever come back here (not sure why you would) your welcome to shoot skeet/trap with me all you want...I'll even supply the Citori and shells.
My inventory is getting impressive. But I suspect it pales in comparison to what many likely have in this state.

And I will take you up on that offer if I get back there!

I think last year mine was to finally test .30 Carbine bullets in .327, which I did accomplish. Easy enough as all I needed were a die and bullets.

Next year my goals would be to buy the two top break revolvers I've been wanting for years. Want to see how much velocity changes when using .32 S&W in a chamber for .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long as my suspicion is the shorter .32 will have higher velocity in its native chamber, but the only revolvers available to test that in are top breaks.

Thankfully those 5 shot top breaks are easy to find. The ones that aren't are the 6 shot top breaks with long barrels. No hope I'll find a suitable one, they always seem to be broken on gunbroker.

Other goal is with primers not being as hard to get I'm going to get the 45-70 adapter for the shotgun and get the components to reload it. Biggest problem there is getting the brass.

I would say get into reloading for .410, but the two guns I want in .410 are either not available or so new that I want to wait another 6 months to see what owners are saying. Reloading .410 can wait until 2025.

What are your goals for next year?

Yeah definitely dropping. Cheapest I’ve seen are the cases of 6k Fiocchi SPP for 6.6 cents per primer shipped from AR
I got some Fiocchi SPP for 5.3 cents delivered from a small ammo remanufacturer. I’m finding that they offer the best deals since it seems that they are getting rid of excess or bought out another company. I just keep a tab on my phone open on ammoseek with primers and refresh when I see it. That deal lasted 3 days. I don’t know if ammoseek does any due diligence on the vendors but I doublecheck to make sure it is not a scam. I’ve never had a problem.

I averaged a 485/500 with my 45 shooting ppc league this winter.. I want to break 490, so I know I need to practice weak hand to get me there. Also started competing National Match, its humbling but coming along..More practice

Back
Top Bottom