glove box question

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is the real retort to that cop. He should never have been telling people to put a gun in a glove box. He was frankly being stupid.

If he is running a hunters safety course or an FID/LTC safety course, he should have defaulted to the most conservative, safest advise to the various scenarios. Can you imagine some noob who heard a mountain of info during this course only gets half of it. He then goes and drops his new glock in his glove box and gets pulled over. Why would any cop who supposedly is so experienced in LE tell someone this is OK without throwing up some major red flags? Nothing in the OP suggested this guy said it was not advisable but legal under x/y/z circumstances. On the contrary, everything hobbit has said suggests this guy relished in being right about the law more than giving good advice.

except for the fact that he isn't running the class, just did his part of it at the beginning, you are right. last night, before class started, he was even disagreeing with the guy who is running it about (i think) a 270 being every bit as good with distance and accuracy as a 30-06. the thing i was hearing most was the way he would not give up on saying he was right. you know the stories of cop with attitudes, well that seems to be him.

except for the fact that he isn't running the class, just did his part of it at the beginning, you are right. last night, before class started, he was even disagreeing with the guy who is running it about (i think) a 270 being every bit as good with distance and accuracy as a 30-06. the thing i was hearing most was the way he would not give up on saying he was right. you know the stories of cop with attitudes, well that seems to be him.

If he wasn't running the class, he should have been beat down by the instructor. Only the instructor should have been able to voice official opinion.

this conversion keeps bouncing between "storage" and "transportation" they are very different in law.

the cop was saying it was legal either way, and he may be right because the MGL's don't say otherwise. my point was the way cops differ in regards to this and the trouble that could had because of it. he ended up agreeing with me there and thinks the law, like most of us, should be clearer. my problem is that he told the class it was ok without any type of warning what so ever. he has the attitude that his way is correct, forget what the chief says, forget what other cops think, its the law. "if you get into trouble get a lawyer and fight it" i said what if you can afford it, he said "that's what public defenders are for". i told him i would rather not have to go through all that.

the one good thing is he does think everyone should get ALP

If he wasn't running the class, he should have been beat down by the instructor. Only the instructor should have been able to voice official opinion.

i agree. its like the cop is doing the police part of it and the instructor is doing the safety part of it. last night they had a different guy do map and compass. so maybe they only know what it is they are teaching and not about what the other guy is teaching, which i guess in that case would make the cop an instructor afterall.

Not sure if this was brought up already but, If you do transport or store you firearm in a locked glove box I would not keep the registration in there. If you get pulled over, go to grab the reg. the officer might take that the wrong way when he see's that gun.

OK here's the scoop.

First name: John - don't know last name

Trained in 82

Retired: 2006 from Hanson PD (10 years), also worked 10 years in Plymouth and worked in weymouth and hull.

LenS if this sounds like you know him i also know the type of car.

we started talking about the Mystery Machine and he opened right up. my friend who is taking the class found out his first name later on in the night.

No idea. Might be a member of BR&P?

Don't know anyone from Hull, only JonJ (and a retired officer Dennis) from Plymouth, only Charlie V (deceased) from Hanson, Brian King and Scott from Weymouth. I don't hang around PDs. I've occasionally interfaced with a few officers of different departments while serving papers, but don't even remember their names a day later.

I wouldn't get all concerned over it.

But is it really smart to put a handgun in a glove box? You get pulled over and have to get your registration out and the cop is facing a motorist reaching for a gun.

True.

My Jeep has both a glove box and a center console, so that wouldn't be a problem here. Storage in a Jeep is difficult, as sometimes there is no top or windows, and even when there is, they are easily unzipped. To go in to my gun club to use the bathroom, I have to check all my stuff with the bartender, as no guns are allowed in the "gun club" clubhouse. Go figure. I miss that from when I was at Worcester Pistol and Rifle, and they had an area inside for cleaning your guns.

OK here's the scoop.

First name: John - don't know last name

Trained in 82

Retired: 2006 from Hanson PD (10 years), also worked 10 years in Plymouth and worked in weymouth and hull.

LenS if this sounds like you know him i also know the type of car.

we started talking about the Mystery Machine and he opened right up. my friend who is taking the class found out his first name later on in the night.

Don't know anyone from Hull, only JonJ (and a retired officer Dennis) from Plymouth, only Charlie V (deceased) from Hanson, Brian King and Scott from Weymouth. I don't hang around PDs. I've occasionally interfaced with a few officers of different departments while serving papers, but don't even remember their names a day later.

I don't have a clue. Been wracking my brain on this. I can't remember anyone who worked 10 yrs in Plymouth and then went to Hanson. Maybe he was a PI or was a park Officer when we used to have them.

I'm not. just thought that since he basically called you out i would give you a chance to know who he is. no biggie, if you don't mind its no worries for me.

i was also right on the drinking. he says he quit 25 years ago, drank wild turkey, but my friend, myself and 2 others taking the class could all tell he looked like a drinker. the 2 others said they thought he was drunk, i would not say that myself, i will only say that he had/has the look of a drinker. if we manage to find out his last name I'll post it. otherwise I'll let it go.

on another note: this class is nothing like the class i took. it's at the same place but a different guy is running it. if it wasn't for my friend and some others who are trying to pass it honestly, i would report the class. unless Masswildlife has become less strict in the last few years it should be shut down after last nights non test.

i would spill my guts here but i don't want to ruin the class for the folks who are actually trying to pass the course honestly and get their cert. its not their fault.

alright, the heck with i can't find a way to voice my displeasure without actually saying it. so here goes:

last night was the test on the 20 points. now when i took the test the guy who is now running it was just helping and doing a bit part. when i went we were not allowed to talk during the test and when we were done, we were done.

before i continue let me say that to "ME" what i am about to say has to do with safety in the field and NOT about what i had to do. i only mention what i had to do to describe HOW different the two classes are that i have been to. this is not about being jealous or a poor sport or anything other than SAFETY IN THE FIELD

the night began with the passing out of the test, OK fine, great. then about 3 minutes later the guy running it says i see some perplexed faces. he then goes on to ask if anybody could give him one of the 20 points, he does this and keeps going till about 15 of the 20 have been voiced.

As they were correcting the "tests" they kept calling people up to the desk and telling them they missed XXX or you have written down the same one XXX amount of times and they would tell them the ones they were missing. they also handed out the 20 points sheet to some and told them to go fix it. i saw the cop tell one guy he only had 19 and to add one more, then whispered in the guys ear, the guy writes done the 20Th and hands the paper back. another guy was missing 4 of the 20 because he listed one of the 20 five times, he was called up, told what happened and the guy sat right at the table with the guys correcting the tests, was handed the 20 points list and sat right there and fixed his test. there were at least 6 that were called up more than once and 2 that were called up at least 4 times to fix their test.

IMHO if you can't get the 20 right, after supposedly studying, having them voiced WHILE THE TEST IS BEING TAKEN, being told what is wrong and given a cheat sheet during the test, you should not be going into the woods with a firearm or bow.

my problem with this is that it is going to make a bunch of unsafe hunters in the woods. I DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT.

i even spoke up once with a half joke, trying to see what would be done, by saying you didn't make it that easy when i was here, and i was told (jokingly) that's because i didn't like you. note: that he was not running it then either.

so did MassWildlife get that lenient, was it just strict when i took it, or is this class totally off the hook? i absolutely say the class is off the hook.

if i remember correctly next Fridays test is an open book test so that can't get any easier either. but for the open book test they don't tell you that before hand, at least my class wasn't told. i think that's the way it should be, that way the students still study and learn from it, although after seeing all those people who needed help it doesn't seem like a whole lot of studying was being done. i hope this class does not tell the students its open book till the test, but after last night who knows!

Sorry hobbit, but I gotta say you have some of the worst people skills I have ever seen (well read on the internet).

1. lets see you are bitching because the instructors of a manditory class help the students...
2. You call the retired police officer who is instructing the class (of which there are still more classes to attend) a drunk, and plan to post his full name...great way to make nice...
3.Wasn't to long ago you were all pissy about some shotgun a kid won at bass pro...

Relax bud, jeez...

Sorry hobbit, but I gotta say you have some of the worst people skills I have ever seen (well read on the internet).

1. lets see you are bitching because the instructors of a manditory class help the students...
2. You call the retired police officer who is instructing the class (of which there are still more classes to attend) a drunk, and plan to post his full name...great way to make nice...
3.Wasn't to long ago you were all pissy about some shotgun a kid won at bass pro...

Relax bud, jeez...

ya and i expected you to post here, seems that's all i see you do, make posts like this. love the posts considering your screen name

get real actually READ the posts i make will ya. i said i am not saying hes a drunk, but i guess you just by past that like everything else. your eye sight must be better than mine because even though you weren't there you ASSUME i am either wrong or just want to say it for the hell of it.

of course your off the mark again when it comes to the lessons. you do realize this is a SAFETY course right? I don't care if it's mandatory or not, if your spending the time there at least try to learn the safety points if nothing else. at least the points concerning the safety of others, if you want to kill yourself i don't care. tell you what, I'll let you hunt side by side with these people and I'll hunt in a different part of the state OK. funny thing is i thought instructors were there to instruct, not give you the answers to a test because you are to lazy to learn 20 points.

i suppose you also missed the last post in the other thread your talking about where it was said someone else went to the manager with "their concerns", which is all i was doing and yet i was a poor loser, jealous etc etc. it couldn't have been about the fact the kid didn't have a licence, nah or the fact that he may have had a record which precluded him from getting a licence, nah. more like i just wanted the gun and now i suppose it's about I'm mad cause i had to study. ya OK anything you say.

MAYBE its that i try to do things the honest, correct, proper way and you don't mind cheating, skirting the law, breaking rules etc. to each his own.

ya and i expected you to post here, seems that's all i see you do, make posts like this. love the posts considering your screen name.
???My screan name...Umm thats a nickname I had about 15 years ago when I worked as a securityguard while I was getting my Master's in Criminal Justice, Hmmm Master's in Criminal Justice wonder what I do in "real life"...its certainly not, as you suggest:
cheating, skirting the law, breaking rules etc...
get real actually READ the posts i make will ya. i said i am not saying hes a drunk...
I'm sorry you are correct, what you said was
...the 2 others said they thought he was drunk, i would not say that myself, i will only say that he had/has the look of a drinker...
potAto/potato, they say drunk you say "look of drinker" [thinking]
of course your off the mark again when it comes to the lessons. you do realize this is a SAFETY course right?
Yes, you must be right again, it is my lax possition on safety and instruction which why I have been a certified RSO for over a decade, why in adition to being "civilian" NRA instructor I am also a law enforcement instructor, why the hansonshoot was considered by most to be the safest MG shoot in the country, and why just last week HR&G created a new "safety and instruction" committee, with guess who as co-chair??? But you are right clearly I must not know anything about safety...

I'll end by again saying "Relax bud", relax about semantics, relax about the "rules" you seem to create in you head about how thing must be done, relax about silly little internet "arguements" they're all in good fun[smile]

Relax bud, jeez...

PS. if YOU read this whole thread you would see I gave the "legit" answer...its going to come down to the officer who stops you and depending on what they do possibly the courts...

Well, it seems another thread has outlived its usefulness. Try to keep it a little more civil next time.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom