• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gloucester MA Surfcasting

Bad13Luck

NES Member
I will be working in Gloucester MA for the summer, staying local for the week. Can anyone recomend a good surf casting spot? All so any tips on what gear to bring or run would be helpful all so.

Thanks

Bad Luck

as bait, live is best..

other than manageing to catch some live poggy somewhere..

all around, i usually use eels at night, sand worms durring the day. open bail wait a few seconds lock it up let em have it and hold on.

i use - rod/reel are custom/squider. that probally might be no help to you. just saying what I use in here.

lures well steel is steel, plugs are plugs, plasic is plastic as far as ive always been of concern... ive got some nice bass off the hoggys and swim shag things but there no good if there are bluefish around. lighter lures i use with a spinning rod.

I will be working in Gloucester MA for the summer, staying local for the week. Can anyone recomend a good surf casting spot? All so any tips on what gear to bring or run would be helpful all so.

Thanks

Bad Luck
Fresh herring baits are readilly available for purchase @ the state pier & harborloop "Inseason" bring a 5gal. pail w/you or cooler for storage.
Chunk baiting & chumming is probally best suited for you.Surfcasting plugs usually yeilds schoolies not always but mostly...
The DogBar breakwater @ the outer harbor,Magnolia rocky shoreline and Brier Neck near GoodHarbor beach are good spots
if looking for beach surfcasting pebblebeach & Halibut Pt. state park in Rockport are also good shorebased areas.

..If you have badluck, shoot me a PM... I'll get you "Hooked"(litterally).[smile]

Last edited:
Ditto what Glostamon said.

The rocks on Atlantic Ave "Bass Rocks" are a good spot to throw plugs. Pick up some Korkers:
http://www.tackledirect.com/korkers-k5000-buckled-fishing-sandals.html

If you are going to walk out on the rocks they can be slippery.

Good Harbor with Eels at night can be good.

Start early in the morning and drive along the coast looking for birds. If you see action stop and fish.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if any of the locals can recommend a good private fishing charter in the area it would be most appreciated. Planning on going to Gloucester myself this year for my first deep sea fishing trip, and want to make sure I get a decent captain and crew. Feel free to PM me. [/hijack]

Back
Top Bottom