Glock's wet dream = Army going plastic

Just curious (sorry a little off topic here) how often are front line troops going to their secondary? I'm not saying they shouldn't have the best handgun available, but wondering how frequently the side arm is drawn and fired in combat situations.
Rarely. But it's impacted by the fact that most guys who have a good chance of getting in a gunfight don't get issued one .

SOF excluded they have their own circumstances.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Unbelievable, just pick the Glock and save millions on useless testing. The pistol has a proven track record and even grunts can't screw it up. The lack of a manual safety could be the problem thou.

This just about sums up everything that's wrong with military procurement:

“We’re not exactly redesigning how to go to the moon. This is a pistol,” Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley said in March. “You give me $17 million on a credit card, and I’ll call Cabela’s tonight, and I’ll outfit every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine with a pistol for $17 million. And I’ll get a discount on a bulk buy.”

It's a simple, reliable handgun. It's been around a long time, tested by LEO's all over the world. The FBI has pretty much written the book on if the 9mm is an effective round in it's current loadings.

The only real negative to the Glocks is you have to dry fire it to disassemble it. I see a lot of ND's in the Army's future.

Too much logic (or maybe stock purchases by the general) for this to happen within the government world.
They should put in a regulation that when you dry fire to disassemble, you point it at your head. It could be a problem solver.

This just about sums up everything that's wrong with military procurement:

What sums up the problem with procurement is Congress....if GEN Milley tried that, he'd have 48 Senators (minus GA) bitching that the guns weren't made in their state. Glock would have to open three or four new plants to get them in line.

i personally thinnk 9mm round sux. but if the army already has all the infrastructure in place to support 9mm ammo, for cost reasons they had damn well better pick a NEW GUN that is ALSO 9mm!

i personally thinnk 9mm round sux. but if the army already has all the infrastructure in place to support 9mm ammo, for cost reasons they had damn well better pick a NEW GUN that is ALSO 9mm!

The Army has said that the ammo for the new pistol will include expanding hollow point ammunition. So 9mm is just fine.

Lol yeah I can see the suspender fudd gun shop commando guys heads exploding if that ever happens...
"DAH MULLITARY CAN ONLY USE BALL ROUNDS!!!"

This shit is so bad that that whenever I go into a gun shop and I hear GSCs yammering about the millutary getting a new pistol/caliber/etc I just start making a quiet humming noise to drown out the stupidity. It's like the gun shop's internal version of 1 877 kars for kids.

-Mike

Who cares.

In all seriousness, the US never ratified the declaration of the Hague Convention that prohibited the use of expanding bullets. We've complied as a courtesy.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...point-ammo-for-new-pistol-not-for-the-m9.html

Lol yeah I can see the suspender fudd gun shop commando guys heads exploding if that ever happens...
"DAH MULLITARY CAN ONLY USE BALL ROUNDS!!!"

This shit is so bad that that whenever I go into a gun shop and I hear GSCs yammering about the millutary getting a new pistol/caliber/etc I just start making a quiet humming noise to drown out the stupidity. It's like the gun shop's internal version of 1 877 kars for kids.

-Mike

When I was in, we were taught that hollow points were only to be used by cops on base and special forces. Sounds like that is changing?

As to the gun shop stupidity, there is plenty of that to go around - in this case the way people flock to a particular thing because it is military issue. What is useful to me has zero to do with the contracts awarded by the government for thousands of a thing.

Dumb. Pistols have limited use. I say bring back the grease gun or another carbine type weapon. The m9 is fine. Some general just wants to mount his Christmas tactical light on his new pistol.

Remember that the 5.7mm round was developed for a NATO PDW & service pistol replacement. The Five-Seven and P90 were all we got out of that. H&Ks MP7 was a similar deal.

The good idea fairy + taxpayer money + Byzantine procurement practices + the grant gaming R&D industrial complex = unicorns for everyone except the soldiers meant to ride them!

Back
Top Bottom