• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock: The Rise of America`s Gun

Interesting those sneaky sob's and buying back the preban models..

I'm not sure that makes sense for the guns themselves. The pistol design wasn't changed to be AWB compliant. It does make sense for the magazines.

It's sitting on my coffee table right now. I got home late the other night and my girlfriend had it waiting for me as a late birthday present. I haven't really got around to looking through it yet though. She said she heard about it on NPR, in a positive light.

Book just arrived today from Amazon. Heard NPR interview with author yeaterday. He did paint Gaston Glock in a very shrewd light. Sounds like a fascinating look into the American arms market. I'll be reading it tonight.

I posted a previous thread on this where NPR did a 15 minute segment on it.

It was better than most news pieces I've heard.
Fresh Air with Terry Gross ran the story yesterday.
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=145640473&m=145698580

I just listened to the Fresh Air piece. Terry Gross shows her liberal background a bit, but she's more open minded that I would have expected. Also, the other seems to have his head screwed on to the proper torque setting.

Glocks have never done much for me, but not I want to buy one, and get the book.

Whether one is a fan of Glocks or not, the company's history is a compelling story in and of itself. I'm slowly finding myself drawn towards these guns and Glock will no doubt play a prominent role in my future.

I posted a previous thread on this where NPR did a 15 minute segment on it.
It was better than most news pieces I've heard.
Fresh Air with Terry Gross ran the story yesterday.
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=145640473&m=145698580
I have to listen to this.

Fresh Air interviews are very, very good and Terry Gross is probably one of the most talented interviewers out there. She's impeccably prepared, totally unassuming and willing to go out on a limb and work without a net. She's not afraid to ask a question that might sound stupid. Not many media people will do that.

In terms of bias, sure, she's probably pretty liberal, but she's not hostile and when it comes to things like guns it's clear that she's working from a pretty blank slate. Most truly liberal media folks will formulate their question in the lexicon of the antis (i.e. assault weapon) because that's where they get there information. Gross seems less inclined to uncritically adopt biased terminology and almost does the 'school me' routine with her guests.

The reviews on barns and noble when I looked at them anyway made it seem like a hatchet job... not so? I'd be interested if it's actually a good book and not more BS about "gun show loopholes you can fly a 747 through" - douchenozzle review on B&N.

I am gonna pick this up.

I just listened to the Fresh Air piece. Terry Gross shows her liberal background a bit, but she's more open minded that I would have expected. Also, the other seems to have his head screwed on to the proper torque setting.

NPR has a liberal slant but, for my money, are more open minded than pretty much any other news organization. I'm always pretty impressed with what they do. The bias is there, but it's not hidden behind obfuscated quasi-facts like other organizations. When they look at things it tends to be an honest factual look at something done by someone with a personal bias. That's fair. I think the difference is that they actually TRY to be objective, whereas other org's have a clear agenda.

Glocks have never done much for me, but not I want to buy one, and get the book.

I shot two of another member's Glocks last weekend and I have to say, they're growing on me. I'm not a big poly pistol guy but Glocks are the best of the poly pistols I've shot. The 34 I shot was verrrry nice. Making me think twice about getting a hold of one.

If any of you guys still "flick" channels, you might actually want to pause for a half a second on CSPAN, they've been showing the author interview pretty regularly the past 24 hours. It's actually really good.
:paul:

The reviews on barns and noble when I looked at them anyway made it seem like a hatchet job... not so? I'd be interested if it's actually a good book and not more BS about "gun show loopholes you can fly a 747 through" - douchenozzle review on B&N.

??

Not a bad review here, I don't think.

And, though I am still savoring the book and haven't finished it yet, I don't disagree with Chris Abraham's review.

I finished it last night around 1am. I thought it was a great read, lots of cool history I didn't know. I read it on my Kindle and I enjoyed it so much I bought a hard copy for a friend of mine to read.

I always wondered why the military carried 92FS's instead of Glocks... Now I know why. :)

I just finished this book and found it really interesting. A lot of insight into the Mr. Glock, his company and the gun industry in general. Would recommend it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom