• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

????Glock Refurb????

Joker_114th

NES Member
Thinking bout sending my glock to glock for a Refurb,could someone tell me what you think shipping might run me.....Also are glock night sight worth it or just go after-market,Thanx

I did night sights myself with an eBay pusher. Was easy as pie. Shipping has to be overnight to Glock. Just use the estimate shipping tools online through UPS. Glock has their address on the refurb form. Should give you an accurate cost, unless you have a shipping account you can take advantage of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would use FedEx, UPS SUCKS!

I did night sights myself with an eBay pusher. Was easy as pie. Shipping has to be overnight to Glock. Just use the estimate shipping tools online through UPS. Glock has their address on the refurb form. Should give you an accurate cost, unless you have a shipping account you can take advantage of

The pistol would cost around 71 bucks with insurance to Glock, unless you mail the slide and frame separate the slide via USPS for 6 bucks and frame via UPS for around 39ish. I have done both and have gotten the same results (all small parts replaced) and as for the sights I do believe they are worth it.

If you wanted just the sights you could mail the slide via USPS for 6 dollars and have Glock install the night sights for 55.00 plus the free refurb on the slide, all for a total of 61.00 shipped!

Turnaround two months ago ranged between 7 and 14 days based on experience from the three times I sent items within one week.

Last edited:
You could also contact someone like 1776 Gunsmithing to get a quote on doing what you want/need. They do great work and I'm certain that they have a Glock Armorer on-board.

Glock Armorers can order all the replacement parts that need replacing/upgrading from Glock for free, so they should just charge you labor plus any new sights and installation. I have found that preferable to paying the extortion costs for UPS/FedEx. Take a look in the 1776 Gunsmithing thread and see what they did for me on a G23 for $50 (if you supply test ammo).

Thinking bout sending my glock to glock for a Refurb,could someone tell me what you think shipping might run me.....Also are glock night sight worth it or just go after-market,Thanx

It's not worth it, The Glock night sites are nice but to spend nearly $70 dollars for shipping you could buy a set and do it yourself or have someone local do it. Other parts they change can be changed easily by a Monkey and they're cheap.

My turn arond time was literally 3 days, And i had to drive way out of my way to drop off and pick up at the Brockton distribution center.

Last edited:

Which pusher did you use? I assume its safer than whacking the rear site with brass punch which has been keeping me from upgrading to night sights.

Which pusher did you use? I assume its safer than whacking the rear site with brass punch which has been keeping me from upgrading to night sights.

I'm mobile, link you when I'm at a computer.
If you search Glock sight pusher, it's a small piece of square tubing. A bolt, with a couple of nuts on it. Really simple concept

It's not worth it, The Glock night sites are nice but to spend nearly $70 dollars for shipping you could buy a set and do it yourself or have someone local do it. Other parts they change can be changed easily by a Monkey and they're cheap.

My turn arond time was literally 3 days, And i had to drive way out of my way to drop off and pick up at the Brockton distribution center.

This is retarded. Why didn't you just pay an FFL short money to send it out for you? [laugh] I don't think I've ever paid a dealer more than like $25 to ship a handgun out for me. Gets logged as a repair, done.

-Mike

This is retarded. Why didn't you just pay an FFL short money to send it out for you? [laugh] I don't think I've ever paid a dealer more than like $25 to ship a handgun out for me. Gets logged as a repair, done.

-Mike

Could you please expand on this a little? I just picked up an LE trade in G19 and was thinking of sending it to Glock for the refurb and slide re-coat but didn't realize shipping was that ridiculous. How does the FFL avoid the same shipping fee?

Could you please expand on this a little? I just picked up an LE trade in G19 and was thinking of sending it to Glock for the refurb and slide re-coat but didn't realize shipping was that ridiculous. How does the FFL avoid the same shipping fee?

Some FFLs cut corners on the "must ship overnight if a handgun" at UPS and Fedex. At minimum, this negates any insurance you might (emphasis, might) get from the carrier. I'm not sure if that rises to a criminal offense though.

FFLs can ship to other FFLs via registered mail, provided they have a declaration form on file at the shipping post office.

I'm mobile, link you when I'm at a computer.
If you search Glock sight pusher, it's a small piece of square tubing. A bolt, with a couple of nuts on it. Really simple concept

I did mine myself. I mangled the old one taking it out, but who cares;it went in the trash anyway. The new one went in easy peasy with a rubber mallet, a straight edge and calipers. For the front sight I used a $5 sight tool from 10-8.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFLs don't have to ship via UPS/Fedex, they can USPS the package and it's a lot cheaper.

What do they do and is it worth it?

They do a full dissasembly, replace any worn or old revision parts. They will refinish the slide for you as well. I think it was $50-60 with the slide. Night sights were another ~$60. I did it for a G21 about 4 years ago and it was worth it. Shipping was more than the service :(

Some FFLs cut corners on the "must ship overnight if a handgun" at UPS and Fedex. At minimum, this negates any insurance you might (emphasis, might) get from the carrier. I'm not sure if that rises to a criminal offense though.

FFLs can ship to other FFLs via registered mail, provided they have a declaration form on file at the shipping post office.

I don't believe they're cutting corners - they can negotiate this with their commercial accounts.

Buds actually has a service (shipmygun.com or something) where they let you use their commercial account so you save quite a bit on shipping (probably half).

And no need for registered mail (which is a fairly specific product) - FFLs can ship USPS priority.

Use FFL to ship to Glock. I had hunters trading post send it in and cost me less than $20.

These two posts trigger two thoughts.

1) TFuzz is absolutely right. If you ever have to ship a handgun, use the FFL you bought it from They should cut you a deal. A FFL can ship USPS flat rate. So most Glocks will fit in a small flat rate box, which costs $5.50 + insurance. Or about $9 total.

2) You don't need to ship your gun to get night sights put on it. Just ship the slide. The slide isn't a firearm, so you can use a USPS flat rate box just like a FFL. $5.50 + insurance.

Don

Because of the restrictions UPS and FedEx have put on shipping handguns, most FFLs other than the truly large ones who can negotiate deals competitive with the USPS, ship with flat rate boxes.

The bottom line is that no handgun costs a FFL more than $12 (medium flat rate box) to ship plus insurance. If its a Wilson Super Grade, then you will spend on insurance, but that's the case no matter who you ship with.

Don

And no need for registered mail (which is a fairly specific product) - FFLs can ship USPS priority.

The only time I've shipped registered was on the advice of famed Parker gunsmith Larry DelGrego. I had a $12,000 Parker 20 ga DHE to ship to him for a safety check and tune up. He insisted I ship registered. He said that he has had insured parkers go missing with FedEx and UPS and they gladly paid out insurance claims in the $100 to $200 range, which is what the gun sold for new 90 years ago.

He said the only shipper that will pay out the true market value of an antique Parker is USPS. And if there is a $12,000 claim, the postal inspectors get involved and the item is usually found since its typically pilfered from inside a USPS facility.

I don't know if Larry is right. What I do know is that he ships in and out over 100 historic Parkers per year from his shop in Ilion, NY, so he knows a lot more than I do.

Don

Last edited:

Smart FFLs use the postal service to ship handguns, which makes it dirt cheap. Us unwashed peons cannot use USPS to ship handguns, but 01/07 FFLs certainly can.

-Mike

Yup. A G19 will fit in a small flat rate box.

So its $5.50 + about $3 for insurance.

In contrast, it will cost $70ish to ship insured via UPS or Fedex overnight.

So even if the FFL charges you $20 for his time, the bill will only be $30.

One thing to be careful of with respect to shipping a Glock to GA for a refurb is that I have heard of cases where it came back with a slide and/or barrel stamped with a different serial number. Im not sure this is a real concern. But if anyone has any experience, it would be worth hearing.

Don

The only time I've shipped registered was on the advice of famed Parker gunsmith Larry DelGrego. I had a $12,000 Parker 20 ga DHE to ship to him for a safety check and tune up. He insisted I ship registered. He said that he has had insured parkers go missing with FedEx and UPS and they gladly paid out insurance claims in the $100 to $200 range, which is what the gun sold for new 90 years ago.

He said the only shipper that will pay out the true market value of an antique Parker is USPS. And if there is a $12,000 claim, the postal inspectors get involved and the item is usually found since its typically pilfered from inside a USPS facility.

I don't know if Larry is right. What I do know is that he ships in and out over 100 historic Parkers per year from his shop in Ilion, NY, so he knows a lot more than I do.

Don

He's right, but for a Glock no need to go registered. But if the value exceeds the Priority cap, registered is the only way to go.

Back
Top Bottom