Glock Life

I was wonder what every one thinks about how long a glock frame will last mine are both 1995 guns and still fire like new already 14 years old

This issue concerns me very much, after reading that Glock WILL NOT replace broken frames for MA residents.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php?t-4900.html

Scroll down to LenS's post where he states:

"No, Glock didn't replace it. Glock has a policy NOT to ship frames made post-10/21/98 into MA except to active duty LEOs, period. We've tried to get them to "see the light" but to no avail."

For the record, I've purchased a 3rd Gen Glock 19 which was actually a Gen 2... with a Gen 3 replacement frame straight from Glock.

The Gen 2 Glock was in MA... and the owner at the time shot a double charged round... damaged the frame... so the gun was sent to Glock. Glock said the slide and barrel were fine, but replaced the frame with a replacement 3rd Gen frame (Serial number started with G) and shipped it back to the FFL in MA.

Glock may not do it all the time... but they certainly have in the past.

Also, you're incorrect that Glock "will not replace broken frames for MA residents". They will... but whether the replacement frame will be a 2nd or 3rd gen frame is the question.

Last edited:
For the record, I've purchased a 3rd Gen Glock 19 which was actually a Gen 2... with a Gen 3 replacement frame straight from Glock.

The Gen 2 Glock was in MA... and the owner at the time shot a double charged round... damaged the frame... so the gun was sent to Glock. Glock said the slide and barrel were fine, but replaced the frame with a replacement 3rd Gen frame (Serial number started with G) and shipped it back to the FFL in MA.

Glock may not do it all the time... but they certainly have in the past.

That is good to hear.

How recent was the replacement? The post I saw about the non-replacement was from November 2007.

And do you know if the new frame had to go through an FFL? Or did they ship it directly to the owner?

It'll last a long time as long as it wasn't some kind of a factory dud. If you have thousands of rounds through it now, it's safe to assume you'll get many thousands more.

Aside from KB or a factory defect frame, I've yet to encounter anyone or
any report where someone actually -wore out- a glock frame. I'm sure it's possible, but it'd be pretty hard to do.

Most modern handguns, for that matter, are hard to "wear out" save for
stuff like springs and other consumable parts.

IMO it's not worth worrying about. By the time you blow up or wear out the gun, you've probably shot 100 times the amount of the gun's value in
ammo anyways, so the whole thing is kind of a non starter. [laugh]

-Mike

That is good to hear.

How recent was the replacement? The post I saw about the non-replacement was from November 2007.

And do you know if the new frame had to go through an FFL? Or did they ship it directly to the owner?

The frame was actually replaced in 2007. hehe.

EDIT: to add...I was wrong... as long as you are the owner of the gun, you can send the gun via UPS/FedEx to the manufacturer. And the manufacturer can mail it straight back to you. All without an FFL.

Referenced:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=665&highlight=shipping+handgun

Last edited:
Hmmm. So why do we need so many? [smile]

Got into an argument with my uncle over gun control awhile back. This was his position. He asked me how long a gun would last if you took great care of it and I told him depending on usage and not counting swapping out parts like worn barrels, a gun could last you a hundred years or more.

He said "EXACTLY! There's no reason for anyone to own more than one gun."

IMO it's not worth worrying about. By the time you blow up or wear out the gun, you've probably shot 100 times the amount of the gun's value in
ammo anyways, so the whole thing is kind of a non starter. [laugh]

-Mike

That's the way I look at it. The cost of the ammo you put down the tube will likely cost thousands more than the gun itself. Even if the frame did poop out at some point you'd likely have shot more than your moneys worth through it.

Back
Top Bottom