Glock G22 KB's......... Really???

If you're an engineer or enjoy tinkering, USPSA Limited and Open divisions can consume even more of your free time and disposable income.
Be careful - there was a design change that is required for a Glock to be rated for the 357 sig bbl (more metal in the frame, so the slide hits metal inserts rather than plastic only). I think the Detroit Glock 22's may predate this design change.

I had this happen to me while at the range one day. A friends Remington 1858 with an after market cylinder in 45LC, home made re-loads. Three shots into my practice, she blew up in my hands. Thankfully it failed as best it could - outward and not towards me. I caught some shrapnel in the face, probably primer lube or grease, but nothing to write home about. The cylinder, which blew into three pieces, had to be pried out of the walls of the shooting stall. I didnt really even notice when it happened, except for the little dink I cought in the face. There was no violent explosion or sound - it just blew up. Weird huh? Upon inspection the walls of the after market cylinder were pretty darn thin, and who knows how much powder was in the round that went off. Note the bent top strap. I felt pretty bad, the gun owner and reloader felt much worse. Call it a draw. Lucky me!

KB2.jpg

I didn't know Glock made revolvers...

Thank ya

Right now I just belong ( actually, just signed up ) with Westminster. But, II'm hoping work/family issues will allow me some more time in the spring to join one of the Leominster clubs as well....

PM me if you'd like to check out either Shirley or Harvard.

Right now I just belong ( actually, just signed up ) with Westminster. But, II'm hoping work/family issues will allow me some more time in the spring to join one of the Leominster clubs as well....

I second Jim's offer. If you'd like to check out Leominster Sportsmen's Association, let me know.

Glock changed the design to give the chambers more support in the newer models, although some still feel that it's not supported enough. They keep it loose for reliability, so that the gun will feed anything.

could one put a newer glock factory barrel into a second gen?

Be careful - there was a design change that is required for a Glock to be rated for the 357 sig bbl (more metal in the frame, so the slide hits metal inserts rather than plastic only). I think the Detroit Glock 22's may predate this design change.

One the other hand, I believe the Detroit models have the slides cut for that tactical accessory known as the HomeBoy Nite Site.

The issue with the 357 Sig is that the metal insert has been changes to that two sections of metal contact the inside of the guide ring on the slide when in full recoil. I'm not certain when this design change was made(I know my old Glock 23 does not have it). If you look at the frame from the front with the slide removed you will see two exposed bits of metal, about 1/8" square at 9:00 and 3:00 on the little ledge urrounding the channel when the guide rod sits. If you gun has that, it's rated for 357 Sig. If not, this caliber should be avoided in that gun.

Bobs gun and Archery in Webster MA, has 3 rd gen Glock 22 police turn ins for under 550.00 all are in decent shape with two hi caps, I think some even have night sights on them...
~Drew

The issue with the 357 Sig is that the metal insert has been changes to that two sections of metal contact the inside of the guide ring on the slide when in full recoil. I'm not certain when this design change was made(I know my old Glock 23 does not have it). If you look at the frame from the front with the slide removed you will see two exposed bits of metal, about 1/8" square at 9:00 and 3:00 on the little ledge urrounding the channel when the guide rod sits. If you gun has that, it's rated for 357 Sig. If not, this caliber should be avoided in that gun.

im talking about the .40 though

Sorry to go back to the squib cyling question but what if it were not an under loaded powder squib but a true blockage due to firing lead through the barrel to the point that it actualy held the bullet in the barrel. Wouldnt this pressure then be enough to cycle the slide and load another round into battery. I know it would be extreem leading but I don't think it is out of the question. With someone shooting badly cast home bullets and a poor cleaning/maint. regimen.

I love my Glock but there is no way I will non FMJ through it because of the leading that I have been told occurs in Glocks more than other firearms. I don't know if it is a old wives tale but it is a pretty common claim.

Are these what you are referring to? ( sorry about the crappy Iphone pic )

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Remington 1858 with an after market cylinder in 45LC, home made re-loads.

But...but...only Glocks blow up! And they don't have safeties! [wink]

What Rob Boudrie said applies with the metal in the Glock frames and .357 SIG conversions.

But based on your response (and other posts you've made) I'm assuming that you're wondering if it's OK to put a 3rd gen G23 barrel in your 2nd gen G23, correct? I've never tried the exact type of swap that you're talking about, but I've shot a 2nd gen G24 slide with a brand new Lone Wolf barrel without any issues. I've owned 2nd & 3rd gen Glocks at the same time, and the only difference that I've noticed between the barrels is that with 3rd gen the chamber has slightly more support which is caused by changing the angle of the feed ramp. Externally they look the same, although the 3rd gen barrel finish seems to be a deeper tone of black.

It should work fine, but I'd suggest that if you're going to make any kind of changes to defense gun that you shoot it a lot to make sure it's still reliable after the change. There's tiny, almost imperceptible differences in size between each and every gun part, even when made by the same factory. The combination of parts can be tricky sometimes, and if you mix and match parts you could wind up with a gun that doesn't work correctly. I've never seen or heard of an issue with (what I'm still assuming) you're asking about, but I wouldn't trust my life t it until I had put several hundred trouble free rounds through it with that set up.

Which is precisely the caliber one would use if swapping in a .357 SIG barrel.

ok i guess i stepped in at the wrong time in this convo then. i was talking about swapping in a newer .40 barrel into my older .40 glock. i didnt mention .357....at all

But based on your response (and other posts you've made) I'm assuming that you're wondering if it's OK to put a 3rd gen G23 barrel in your 2nd gen G23, correct? I've never tried the exact type of swap that you're talking about, but I've shot a 2nd gen G24 slide with a brand new Lone Wolf barrel without any issues. I've owned 2nd & 3rd gen Glocks at the same time, and the only difference that I've noticed between the barrels is that with 3rd gen the chamber has slightly more support which is caused by changing the angle of the feed ramp. Externally they look the same, although the 3rd gen barrel finish seems to be a deeper tone of black.

It should work fine, but I'd suggest that if you're going to make any kind of changes to defense gun that you shoot it a lot to make sure it's still reliable after the change. There's tiny, almost imperceptible differences in size between each and every gun part, even when made by the same factory. The combination of parts can be tricky sometimes, and if you mix and match parts you could wind up with a gun that doesn't work correctly. I've never seen or heard of an issue with (what I'm still assuming) you're asking about, but I wouldn't trust my life t it until I had put several hundred trouble free rounds through it with that set up.

ahh ok that answers my question, thank you

Back
Top Bottom