Glock G22 KB's......... Really???

I'd swore I'd never get one of those silly plastic pistols...... But, while on a visit to State Line I saw one of the Detroit PD unissued 2nd gen Glock 22's I have to admit, I pretty interested! Mostly all I've ever seen of "mass ok " glocks are beat to hell, 1 mag, no box, $595 crap...... But the idea of a unfired G22 with 2 hi-caps, box, ect for under $550 seems kinda cool ( a big plus for me is the Detroit PD stamp, and the idea of getting a .357 sig barrel for it )

So, I left the store ( empty handed ) trying not to make a spur of the moment purchase and googled Glock G22's....... Holy Crap a millions "stories" of Glock hand grenades!

I'm sure this has been brought up at length more than once. ( sorry ) All I want to know is, REALLY? I DONT reload, I DONT shoot anything but FMJ, I dont shoot +P.

Are these as reliable as any other Glock, or a Detroit PD labeled hand grenade?

drb

the glock 22 is one of the most popular duty weapons for law enforcement, possibly the most popular. There are millions and millions of them out there. The chances of one Kabooming are slim to none. Dont shoot reloads, and dont worry about it blowing up.

the glock 22 is one of the most popular duty weapons for law enforcement, possibly the most popular. There are millions and millions of them out there. The chances of one Kabooming are slim to none. Dont shoot reloads, and dont worry about it blowing up.

Exactly. I've seen a few stories online, and the "someone I know" stories aside, a major cause of Glock explosions is ammo related. Several police departments have had issues with guns exploding after shooting rounds that have "setback" (after being chambered too many times), and I saw a thread on Glocktalk complete with tons of pictures of someone who shot TONS of unjacketed lead and super hot handloads out of their gun, which caused the barrel to split in half.

Ive seen/been there/ducked pieces of 3 G22 KBs. The first involved factory bulk ammo with plated bullets.Glock repaired it for free.Another guy had his gun go up twice.After it blew up the first time the fellow sent the pieces to Glock and when it came back,after proudly showing it around,the fellow loaded the remaining "premium" factory FMJ ammo from the same box as used previously and it promptly erupted again 3 rounds later.I dont believe he had it repaired again.No blood was spilled,the first fellow,it hurt ALOT,the second guy was totally uninjured and laughing both times.(Me too)

Ive seen/been there/ducked pieces of 3 G22 KBs. The first involved factory bulk ammo with plated bullets.Glock repaired it for free.Another guy had his gun go up twice.After it blew up the first time the fellow sent the pieces to Glock and when it came back,after proudly showing it around,the fellow loaded the remaining "premium" factory FMJ ammo from the same box as used previously and it promptly erupted again 3 rounds later.I dont believe he had it repaired again.No blood was spilled,the first fellow,it hurt ALOT,the second guy was totally uninjured and laughing both times.(Me too)

The Beach Boy said it all right here.

dude, this guy i know...well his friend said he knew someone that dated this girl whos father had a glock kB [rolleyes]

Back in the early 90's I borrowed a friends Glock. He was good enough to even provide a box of ammo(reloads). I took it to the range and things were going just fine until I decided to practice some rapid fire double taps. I squibbed the first round with a resulting KB on the second round. It threw the slide to the rear and locked it in place. Thank goodness it held. It would have made a nasty impression on my face. The gun was sent back to glock. They returned it along with the damaged parts. The warranty wouldn't cover it because of the reloads. I think they charged $80.00 for repair. My buddy felt bad for providing the ammo. I felt bad for not catching the squib. We split the repair bill.
I now have my own Glocks. I've run 1000's of rounds thru them w/o incident. None have been reloads!

Back in the early 90's I borrowed a friends Glock. He was good enough to even provide a box of ammo(reloads). I took it to the range and things were going just fine until I decided to practice some rapid fire double taps. I squibbed the first round with a resulting KB on the second round. It threw the slide to the rear and locked it in place. Thank goodness it held. It would have made a nasty impression on my face. The gun was sent back to glock. They returned it along with the damaged parts. The warranty wouldn't cover it because of the reloads. I think they charged $80.00 for repair. My buddy felt bad for providing the ammo. I felt bad for not catching the squib. We split the repair bill.
I now have my own Glocks. I've run 1000's of rounds thru them w/o incident. None have been reloads!

that has nothing to do with a glock kB. any gun would blowup if you shoot a round into a squib

what's a squib?
(newb here)

a bullet that is shot but doesnt make it out of the barrel

I stand corrected.

Catastrophic failures may be caused by a variety of problems, but in general a Glock kB! is as a result of a case failure.
The case failure occurs when pressure inside the cartridge increases to the point that it cannot be contained by the case and the material of the case fails, allowing hot gases to escape from the ruptured case web at damagingly high velocities.

The resulting uncontained forces can blow the magazine out of the gun, emulsify the locking block, cause the tip of the trigger to be snipped off, ruin the trigger bar, rupture the barrel, peel the forward edge of the slide at the ejection port up, and do other nasty things. In general, Glocks tend to contain case failures fairly well, but under some circumstances they can cause injury as well as damage to one's gun. At least one LEO has been injured in a kB! involving a Glock 21 and a Winchester factory overcharge.

Additionally, there is some evidence of there being another cause of a kB!... a barrel failure caused by improper metallurgy.

kaboom.jpg

(Courtesy of Derek, thanks again.)

howaglockworks.gif

Last edited:
I've fired Glock 22/23/27s since 98, for thousands of rounds, without a problem. With factory ammo-Winchester, Speer. Buy with confidence.

Lets also not forget the whole repeated chambering/set back thing. Which other than the bad reload thing is probably one of the biggest culprits.

A friend of mine blew up a .45 1911 built by one of the biggest names in the industry. chit happens. It can almost always be traced back to an ammo problem.

I'm sure this has been brought up at length more than once. ( sorry ) All I want to know is, REALLY? I DONT reload, I DONT shoot anything but FMJ, I dont shoot +P.

Are these as reliable as any other Glock, or a Detroit PD labeled hand grenade?

drb

As long as you don't rechamber the same round multiple times, you'll be all set - except for the fact that no good can come of the .40.

You had a squib that didn't leave the barrel but had enough power to cycle the slide? I've never heard of that before.

Last edited:
Sorry to ruin your rain with reality, but the G 22 IS a .40. Go HERE:

http://www.glock.com/english/glock22.htm

HINT: There is no such thing as "the Glock .40."

Did you do seminars for DEA? [devil2]

Thanks you Scriv. I was trying to figure out how to correct this for Steve and you did it well.

and as far as the OP I would not be concerned of the KB factor. I think the stories of the exploding Gs are greatly exagerated or maybe more publicized by the fairly vocal anti Glock factions. A bad reload or a Squib stand about the same chance blowing up any handgun. Glock is clearly not building barrels with inferior materails given the pure number of the firearms used successfuly in LE and Mil. evironments over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom