• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock changed their slide finish?

My new G31 Gen 4 has a metallic dark grey, almost black finish. In certain light it almost matches the Inforce APL tac light that it wears. I think it's beautiful (for a Glock). I've accidentally bumped it on several different hard surfaces and it still looks new.

I like the "limited" run of nickel boron stuff that they are running on some of the Gen 3's and 4's. Besides that. the black/grey-ish finish is my favorite.

I don't think this is a factory thing... rather something distributors are doing. It's only limited by how ever many guns the distis are having done by the NIBx people.

-Mike

I just got a USA made model and it came thru with the textured grey finish that I like. From what I gather that is being put on US models now.

My Gen 4 19 has the lower texture finish, and I can actually say it's not too bad....it seems to wear OK.

Definately like the made in USA....and the state of Georgia proof stamp...

Last edited:
Yes, Glock has moved away from Tenifer finishes because of the need for cyanide in the precess. They now use Melonite finishes, think M&P, in the end it is the same result using a less toxic process.

Tenifer is not done in the USA is because the Trademark is not licensed for USA use. Tenifer and Melonite are the same thing to the degree that a family of processes can be exact (the customer picks the time, temp, washing, etc). One name is for the USA. One name is for Europe. Customer picks the time, temp, and other details with either.

Last edited:
'Tenifer look', 'Tenifer like'

The one I have is different than my G23 Gen 4 I had few months ago. That one had the thicker shinier Tenifer look and it was hard as hell, really hard to scratch. This one I have now is like mate black, not shinny or slick and it feels like is just painted and easy to scratch. I don't care since they are tools but I have never seen one like this. All Glocks I had (Gen4's) had the same tenifer like finish which I loved.

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was checking out a few new glocks today, and see the difference between these and my gen 4 G21, has the more textured grey. This new finish sucks, cheap looking and thin, a few of the guns were already scratched similar to what the video was saying. Its not a big deal, on a glock, but why in the world would you go from one of the best finishes in the industry to possibly the worst I've seen. One that isn't even durable enough to ship.

I'd definately take the old black textured or grey textured over this POS finish.

which is why i buy older glocks with the old finish , except my 42.

The older Tenifer and newer Melonite is not what gives the slide it's color. They are metal treatments that permeate a minuscule amount into the surface of the metal itself, protecting it from corrosion. They used to use Tenifer when all the models were manufactured in Austria. The newer Melonite process is because of the EPA's stricter guidelines when manufacturing in America. The color on the slide, wether it be the older gloss black, the newer matte greyish or any other shade of black in between is simply parkerizing, black oxide or bluing and are all just surface treatments after the Tenifer or Melonite had already been applied.

This. The treatment if the metal to harden it is not the cosmetic finish. Salt bath nitriding of one type or another is still happening.

Back
Top Bottom