Glock = Boom!

a .45 though?!?! Really. Maybe +P but still. I can see .40 and .357 sig with that very well documented lil bit o' barrel missing in the name of reliability but a .45, really, hmmmm.

a .45 though?!?! Really. Maybe +P but still. I can see .40 and .357 sig with that very well documented lil bit o' barrel missing in the name of reliability but a .45, really, hmmmm.

.45 cases are huge relative to what they usually need to a std load. I check once with my 231 loads.. I'm pretty sure a triple load would fit.

My guess is a double load. The gun is designed so it shouldn't fire out of battery -as most are! I've seen chambers split from double loads.

CNBC - Update on Fatalities

A Terrorist bomber pulled a Glock 21 and exploded. 4 Americans were injured in Kabal and another 120 people were killed. More at 8:00 PM.[grin]

Never have I been more thankful for my well made, reliable Sig P220!!!

I own a P220, a G21SF, and a G30SF, and run nuclear grade loads through all three without a problem. (eg, 230 gr reloads going 900+ fps and things like Rem Golden saber 185+Ps) Believe it or not, the brass from the Glocks is still in good shape afterwards... it does stretch more, but it is NOTHING like what
happens to "Glocked" .40 S+W brass, which you might as well throw away after a firing or two, if you're using the factory barrel.

The P220 (alloy version) -is- probably the most reliable .45 ACP handgun ever manufactured, bar none, based on it's age and legacy.

WARNING: Sacred cow slaughter ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you. )

I've seen P220s do things and eat ammo that would choke a typical 1911 (or even cause it to blow up). Nothing against 1911s (I own two, and I want more, more more!) but the harsh reality is that with the gigantic 1911 market and the varying implementations of the design, your chances of buying a dud are MUCH higher. This is similar to the old AK vs AR debate... AKs are more reliable on average because even a poorly built AK will usually work; a poorly built AR is garbage. An alloy framed P220 is usually impeccable reliability wise, especially the older "Pre NH" models. Let's put it this way. I compete with 1911s against bowing pins... but guess what my backup gun is.... it's usually the P220. I know it will work if it is skunked up, minimally lubricated, and it will fire and cycle each time. Hell, I'd probably shoot pins with it more often, but the sights, sight radius and triggers of my 1911s are superior.... I digress...

For double stack .45s though, if you get a good one (which seems to occur most of the time) the Glocks are pretty damned good. I've been through a ton of carry guns, and my G30SF is my favorite by far.

-Mike

Last edited:
DrGrant....what do you think of the Springfield XD .45 Compact double stack???

I won't pass judgment on an XD because to be honest, I've never fired one. I've only held them in stores on a few occasions, both the XD and the XDm.

Ergonomically the XDs are pretty nice, and the triggers are decent. The only thing I -don't- like about the gun is the grip safety... and for me that
would disqualify it for defensive use, but that is a personal taste thing- I have a hard time wrapping my head around a grip safety on a polymer framed handgun, that's all...

One thing I can give Springfield a lot of credit for is pushing manufacturers
to design more ergonomic double stack polymer handguns- they were really
the first to try to make a .45 ACP double stack with a grip smaller than a 2 x 4 block of wood. Then HK and S+W followed with their new polymer .45s, then Glock came out with the short frames. All are considerable advancements in ergonomics, especially for folks who have smaller hands.

-Mike

.45 cases are huge relative to what they usually need to a std load. I check once with my 231 loads.. I'm pretty sure a triple load would fit.

My guess is a double load. The gun is designed so it shouldn't fire out of battery -as most are! I've seen chambers split from double loads.

No doubt. But we're talking factory loads. I'm surprised to say the least.
With department budgets being what they are my first thought was CCI Blazer reloaded 15 times over [smile]

SAAMI spec on .45's are closer to .380 than .40's and 9mm magnum(.357 sig) for factory loads. Sh*t the 9mm straight up pushes more than 10k over the .45.
Out of all the glocks with factory barrels I would've thought the 21 was near immune. Guess not.

I call bad factory load.
Maybe federal's turning out reloads in their American Eagles now [thinking]
*I don't know what they were using, just saying.

ETA - Drgrant, I carry my 1911 but +1 to the 220 being a monster. However, I trust the gun way more than I do the company. If their service was 1/10th of Smith's or Glock's I'd be way more inclined to go back down Sig's road. But, the 220 will eat things a toilet would choke on.

Last edited:
I'll see your kaboom and raise you a:

howaglockworks.gif

Hahaha I love my glocks but thats awesome [smile][laugh]

Oh bother.

This has all the hallmarks of the 'typical' glock KB.

Yes, it is typical in that the AMMO most likely caused the problem which is completely unrelated to the particular firearm in use at the time.

For those that would say "this would never happen with a high quality pistol", such as a (Internationally known pistolsmith's) 1911. I'll let Rob fill in the details.

I have three friends that have had catastrophic failures in their pistols in the past. All three could be traced to the ammo.

So Mike, do you think I should start wearing those shark bite proof diver's gloves when I fire the HK USP Expert with those +P+ loads? (230 gr. FMJ w/10 gr. Nobel Vectan SP2 = 1030 fps.)

You moved TO Massachusetts and your only regret is not buying an XD?

I'm stunned.....

MA born and raised, got a good job working on cape cod after getting out of the mil, anywhere is better then CA. Not much to be stunned about, I am actually quite happy with my life.

Last edited:
I'm sure there is much to make life in CA worthwhile. Didn't see much of it while I was there and the more I hear, the more I'm sure I don't want to be there. In terms of punitively anti-gun attitude, however, the difference is small and shrinking.

Note that CA now has an anti-ammunition law similar to our AG's edict.

Anyhow, welcome back. We need you.

Back
Top Bottom