• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLOCK 46: the first rotating-barrel GLOCK under test

Reptile

NES Member
For a long time, the GLOCK G46 was a well-kept secret and could only be found in government tenders. For the first time, the Austrian manufacturer offers a pistol with rotating barrel and a decocking system. We tested the new service pistol of the German Saxony-Anhalt state police. Read on to learn how it behaved on the shooting range!

I like the rotating barrel idea. Not so much the decocker in the back, f*** that. Any switch of the back should be a selector switch.....

Interesting but don't think the added complexity would be worth the benefit of lower bore axis and safer disassembly. But maybe if they just used the rotating barrel for US market without the decocker?

If you're Glock, the world's biggest police pistol supplier, it is.

Gun Jesus said it well in one of his recent Q&As: the risk of a negligent discharge is minimal when you have one gun owner who takes the time to understand his gun and properly learn how to take the gun apart safely. When you have a police force of thousands of members like the German state police forces (Saxony's is 8700 per the article), the "derp" per thousand ratio goes up. Statistically, mistakes will be made. Anything a gun manufacturer can do to reduce the statistical derp ratio (negligent discharges or other "accidents" divided by the number of gun users) is better both for the seller, Glock, and the customer, the police forces.

Glock's not trying to convert you, me, and that guy over there to buy this pistol, although they'd like it if we did. Glock's intended customer is a large police force with thousands of members who are policemen first and gun people maybe second or third or fourth down the line. Most cops aren't gun people. Anything Glock can do to reduce the possibilities of "accidents" is something Glock can use as a sales pitch.

as a beretta PX4 fanatic I am interested any pistol that uses rotating lockup mechanism
would be surprised if glock's upcoming Dec 10 announcement has anything to do with this glock 46
more likely it's a carbine

"The new GLOCK 46 differs greatly in function and appearance from all other GLOCK models."

One little faucet looking thingie on the back doesn't fit my definition of "greatly." It still looks just like any other Glock to me, meaning it looks graceless and utilitiarian. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing if you're a glockboi, but let's not pretend this is something it's not.

Function? Sure. I'm sure it's all kinds of different.

The rotating barrel on the Beretta PX4 is very smooth and I think contributes to the nice shooting qualities of that pistol. I'd love to see the G46 come to America.

I'm not reading that entire thing to find out why a rotating barrel is better. The idea sounds stupid can someone give me the cliff notes?

When you have a police force of thousands of members like the German state police forces (Saxony's is 8700 per the article), the "derp" per thousand ratio goes up.

If your employees are not properly trained on how to drop the mag and rack the slide to make sure there isn't a round in the gun, then you have bigger issues as a police force, and some rotating barrel will not solve stupid and horrible training.

Ps: when I clicked on the article I was expecting some sort of Glock mini gun. LOL.

I'm not reading that entire thing to find out why a rotating barrel is better. The idea sounds stupid can someone give me the cliff notes?

If your employees are not properly trained on how to drop the mag and rack the slide to make sure there isn't a round in the gun, then you have bigger issues as a police force, and some rotating barrel will not solve stupid and horrible training.

I was quoting Ian from Forgotten Weapons, who, no offence, knows a shitload more about military and police gun acquisitions than you and I. He literally studies why governments purchase certain guns as his day job because his job is to learn about guns that weren't accepted into service.

Here's a great example: in Chris Cocks's Fireforce, Cocks, a full-blown SpecOps operator with more cred than anyone on this forum, had a negligent discharge while taking down a Star BM. He claimed that he had to take the gun apart with a loaded magazine inserted, but if you watch five seconds of YouTube, you'll learn that you don't need a hot mag in the gun to field strip it. The guy had no reason to lie and say that he had a ND. But he clearly messed up.

Fireforce: One Man’s War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry – Chriscocks.com

Statistically, mistakes will be made. Someone's going to do something stupid. Police forces don't have the resources to make every policeman a perfect gun handler. And even if they did, people do stupid things when stressed or operating under less than normal conditions.

I was quoting Ian from Forgotten Weapons, who, no offence, knows a shitload more about military and police gun acquisitions than you and I. He literally studies why governments purchase certain guns as his day job because his job is to learn about guns that weren't accepted into service.

Here's a great example: in Chris Cocks's Fireforce, Cocks, a full-blown SpecOps operator with more cred than anyone on this forum, had a negligent discharge while taking down a Star BM. He claimed that he had to take the gun apart with a loaded magazine inserted, but if you watch five seconds of YouTube, you'll learn that you don't need a hot mag in the gun to field strip it. The guy had no reason to lie and say that he had a ND. But he clearly messed up.

Fireforce: One Man’s War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry – Chriscocks.com

Statistically, mistakes will be made. Someone's going to do something stupid. Police forces don't have the resources to make every policeman a perfect gun handler. And even if they did, people do stupid things when stressed or operating under less than normal conditions.

I get it, maybe the guy that wrote the article is a genius. But it doesnt take a genius to perform two easy steps.

Do these people also hold the knife wrong and stab themselves when they try to cut a steak?

It is not rocket science. A rotary barrel or whatever Glock is doing will not fix stupid and bad training.

I get it, maybe the guy that wrote the article is a genius. But it doesnt take a genius to perform two easy steps.

Do these people also hold the knife wrong and stab themselves when they try to cut a steak?

It is not rocket science. A rotary barrel or whatever Glock is doing will not fix stupid and bad training.

In fairness, I don't think the rotary barrel is meant to fix stupid. It's meant to lower the bore axis, which the article implies is something Glock has been thinking about for some time. What's meant to fix stupid is the big honkin' decocker on the back of the slide. You're not wrong, though. Either way, this is a training issue. Anyone who understands how semiautomatic firearms work should have no difficulty making a Glock safe before field-stripping.

The article reflects two technical changes Glock has made here, but the thread title only reflects one.

The problem with NDs and Glocks is that one of the "two easy steps" is to decock via pressing the trigger. There's no way to decock the gun without dropping the striker. If Glock added a decocker, the striker won't drop during disassembly. So if someone tried taking the gun apart with one in the chamber and used the decocker rather than pressing the trigger, there'd be no ND. You can train people every day for weeks to drop the mag, pull back the slide, and check the chamber, but humans being humans, that isn't going to happen 100% of the time. Anything involving a human is subject to human error.

Let's say there's a 10,000 member police force and they have operator error with guns five times a year. Three of those errors involved taking down the gun with one in the chamber. The decocker would get that down to two errors rather than five. The more idiot-proof a gun, the less likely there is of a chance of a ND.

The rotating barrel isn't even that hard of an idea. JMB came up with the idea in 1897, its nothing new. On a 1907 Roth-Steyr, all that happens different from a modern pistol is that the locking lugs are on the front end of the barrel near the front sights and to lock into the recesses, the barrel rotates about 45 degrees.

I'm not sure why the two changes are coming out together. There's already aftermarket Glock decockers out there. Probably has to do with that police request.

Striker Control Device

In fairness, I don't think the rotary barrel is meant to fix stupid. It's meant to lower the bore axis, which the article implies is something Glock has been thinking about for some time. What's meant to fix stupid is the big honkin' decocker on the back of the slide. You're not wrong, though. Either way, this is a training issue. Anyone who understands how semiautomatic firearms work should have no difficulty making a Glock safe before field-stripping.

The article reflects two technical changes Glock has made here, but the thread title only reflects one.
I just read the article and noticed that.

I wonder if that big thing in the back will make accidents worse. Someone will have one in the pipe, will be holding the gun with one hand and when trying to pull that thing back, they will accidentally pull the trigger. I wonder how hard it is to pull.

Last edited:
I just read the article and noticed that.

I wonder if that big thing in the back will make accidents worse. Someone will have one in the pipe, will be holding the gun with one hand and when trying to pull that thing back, they will accidentally pull the trigger. I wonder how hard it is to pull.

It says in the article that the decocker can only be manipulated with the slide pulled back, so the chances of someone holding the gun in a way that will allow them to reach and pull the trigger while decocking seem pretty slim.

First the Germans let millions of Muslims in to their country, then they as Glock for a pistol with a decocker. It's no wonder Germany loses world wars every time.

3i5iob.jpg

Lower bore axis is nice. But really??? REALLY? On a 9mm. For police/military who should have proper training in the first place????

If you are looking to make a race-gun, a lower bore axis would help. Otherwise, WTF Cares???

Back in teh day when that dude owned the range which is now Fatcatzzzz, he had the Beretta people in there one Saturday. I got to shoot a Cougar SBS against my G19. I was hoping the recoil would be significantly different. I wanted it to be. It wasn't. NOOOOO DIFFFERENCEEEEEE!

Glock's not trying to fix stupid, they're trying to meet German regulations so they can sell their products.

Lower bore axis is nice. But really??? REALLY? On a 9mm. For police/military who should have proper training in the first place????

If you are looking to make a race-gun, a lower bore axis would help. Otherwise, WTF Cares???

Back in teh day when that dude owned the range which is now Fatcatzzzz, he had the Beretta people in there one Saturday. I got to shoot a Cougar SBS against my G19. I was hoping the recoil would be significantly different. I wanted it to be. It wasn't. NOOOOO DIFFFERENCEEEEEE!

I notice a significant recoil difference in my CZ P01 vs the HK USPc I had, and my P226. The HK was the worst, bucking bronco made me check it was really 9mm.

I'm sure if you're a Navy SEAL you might not notice.

Back
Top Bottom