Glock 40 woes

Picked up a LNIB Glock 40 10mm a bit back and gotta say the thing isn't very accurate. It wears a Holosun green dot. Thinking that maybe the new holosun was crap, I took it off, replaced the OEM front sight post with a fiber optic one that is nice and visible, and still it sucks. I got this to change up my handgun hunting from TC's and revolvers, but I couldn't ethically take this thing afield. Now, it doesn't have a nice trigger like my Contenders and revolvers, but still.....I shoot/own plenty of other glocks, but from a solid bench rest, I can maybe put two rounds about 4" apart, then another two a foot and a half away on the other side of the target at 50yds. For kicks and grins, I shot my G19 from the same rest at the same target, and manged a 4" group. I'm not going to the olympics or anything, but acceptable game accuracy is a must. That, to me, is 4-6" at 100, which even with my worst pistol I can manage easily.

However, I'm new to 10mm, and started to reload it. I understand the manuals really reduce the 10mm's potential. (what I've heard) I'm running a 180gr over a published max load of 231 (don't have the details right in front of me right now) So, does the 10mm like hotter, full power loads? Do Glock 40's prefer heavier loads? In all my years of reloading, very rarely do I produce a load thats unacceptable in a handgun. Sure some are better than others but they're always acceptable accuracy wise. So, I don't think my load is causing 1.5ft groups. I'm looking at some 165's over AA No9 for 1,400fps. I did try some factory fodder, just one box, and it didn't perform much better. I've never owned a Glock that didn't perform as intended, so its got me stumped. I don't want to throw good money after bad but i'd be willing to put a KKM barrel on it, see if that makes a difference. I guess my basic questions are 1. does 10mm perform like shit when loaded down, and does the G40 not like these light loads.

When I say light loads, most 10mm data i've seen isn't that far off of 40 S&W,

Picked up a LNIB Glock 40 10mm a bit back and gotta say the thing isn't very accurate. It wears a Holosun green dot. Thinking that maybe the new holosun was crap, I took it off, replaced the OEM front sight post with a fiber optic one that is nice and visible, and still it sucks. I got this to change up my handgun hunting from TC's and revolvers, but I couldn't ethically take this thing afield. Now, it doesn't have a nice trigger like my Contenders and revolvers, but still.....I shoot/own plenty of other glocks, but from a solid bench rest, I can maybe put two rounds about 4" apart, then another two a foot and a half away on the other side of the target at 50yds. For kicks and grins, I shot my G19 from the same rest at the same target, and manged a 4" group. I'm not going to the olympics or anything, but acceptable game accuracy is a must. That, to me, is 4-6" at 100, which even with my worst pistol I can manage easily.

However, I'm new to 10mm, and started to reload it. I understand the manuals really reduce the 10mm's potential. (what I've heard) I'm running a 180gr over a published max load of 231 (don't have the details right in front of me right now) So, does the 10mm like hotter, full power loads? Do Glock 40's prefer heavier loads? In all my years of reloading, very rarely do I produce a load thats unacceptable in a handgun. Sure some are better than others but they're always acceptable accuracy wise. So, I don't think my load is causing 1.5ft groups. I'm looking at some 165's over AA No9 for 1,400fps. I did try some factory fodder, just one box, and it didn't perform much better. I've never owned a Glock that didn't perform as intended, so its got me stumped. I don't want to throw good money after bad but i'd be willing to put a KKM barrel on it, see if that makes a difference. I guess my basic questions are 1. does 10mm perform like shit when loaded down, and does the G40 not like these light loads.

When I say light loads, most 10mm data i've seen isn't that far off of 40 S&W,
Have you run any 40 s&w through it for testing purposes?

I don’t own a model 40 but even Honda civics have a lemon now and then….

I see you already sanity checked with factory ammo.

Have you considered slugging the barrel and/or firing into water to see the rifling marks?

The only way i can see you getting those results is if the bullet isn’t stabilized.

In that same vein - are you getting clean holes with grease rings on paper?

I see you already sanity checked with factory ammo.

Have you considered slugging the barrel and/or firing into water to see the rifling marks?

The only way i can see you getting those results is if the bullet isn’t stabilized.

In that same vein - are you getting clean holes with grease rings on paper?
No key-holing or anything. Pistol functions fine with these loads. Haven't slugged the barrel. Bullets were 180gr JHP seconds from midway. I have some Winchester 165's I'll load, I just wanted full power 10mm, not a 40 cal

half away on the other side of the target at 50yds.

but acceptable game accuracy is a must. That, to me, is 4-6" at 100,
Just to make sure it's not a type-o... you are talking yards...not feet?
So you are used to 4-6" groups, at 300 feet with a handgun?

I'm not doubting you, but that's mighty fine shooting there Tex. Don't get me wrong, I ring steel all day at the 100 yard range with my 4" Smith, but I am for sure not shooting for groups.
I wouldn't have the balls to take a 100 yard shot at a critter with a handgun.
This is one of my better targets at 50 feet - off hand - 44mag - 6-1/2" barrel. I had one that got away from me a little, and one that clover leafed through the same hole, but if you increased the spread by a factor of 6.. I dunno? Maybe I should try it from a rest?

1688593856941.png

I'm not doubting you, but that's mighty fine shooting there Tex. Don't get me wrong, I ring steel all day at the 100 yard range with my 4" Smith, but I am for sure not shooting for groups.
This is one of my better targets at 50 feet - off hand - 44mag - 6-1/2" barrel. I had one that got away from me a little, and one that clover leafed through the same hole, but if you increased the spread by a factor of 6.. I dunno? Maybe I should try it from a rest?

View attachment 771393
Yes, I was speaking of yards, not feet. Most of my hunting handguns are Thompson Center Contenders and Encores in anything from 44 mag up to 375 JDJ and everywhere in-between. I'll hold 1-1.5in pretty consistently with my 308 Encore pistol. Now, granted, they've been tuned, triggers worked over and have fitted hinge pins, and thats from a solid bench rest with wrist supports. I know the load and the pistol is capable, and I practice a good bit. Field conditions rarely give me a 100yd shot, support is everything, but given the right circumstances, I know me and my equipment are capable. Some pistols I shoot out to 300 while others I wouldn't take a shot past 50.

View attachment 771393
Thats impressive for offhand shooting. A rest would shrink that right up. When I hunt, I focus my stand and set-up for having a good rest. Shooting sticks set up, my pack resting on a stump etc.... I'm not out there Wyatt erping deer with a Vaquero from my hip lol Varmint hunting with a super 14' in 223 I use a bi-pod on the forend and a small squeeze bag under the grip.

4-6” at 100 yards is match accuracy. The Glock 40 is not a match gun.

Still, I’d expect closer to 6” at 50 yards vs a foot and a half. That’s pretty bad. I’m wondering if you just got a slightly out of spec barrel. The various Glock 40 reviews I’ve seen have all shown much better precision than what you’re getting.

Maybe swap in a Bar-Sto or KKM barrel? Rather than spending even more ammo on diagnosis? Aside from that, I’d try some more factory loads.

With KKM, you could even bump up to 7” if you’re planning on hunting with the pistol.

I’d also consider a trigger upgrade if you’re hunting with it, but I don’t think that’s the issue here.

Last edited:
231 is horrible for something like 10mm.. this isn't a mouse fart cartridge

No key-holing or anything. Pistol functions fine with these loads. Haven't slugged the barrel. Bullets were 180gr JHP seconds from midway. I have some Winchester 165's I'll load, I just wanted full power 10mm, not a 40 cal
Stay away from S&B 10mm as they barely give the snap of a 40. I found for off the shelf range ammo that SIG Elite had more snap that a 40, without having to buy Buffalo Bore.

Yes, I was speaking of yards, not feet. Most of my hunting handguns are Thompson Center Contenders and Encores in anything from 44 mag up to 375 JDJ and everywhere in-between. I'll hold 1-1.5in pretty consistently with my 308 Encore pistol. Now, granted, they've been tuned, triggers worked over and have fitted hinge pins, and thats from a solid bench rest with wrist supports. I know the load and the pistol is capable, and I practice a good bit. Field conditions rarely give me a 100yd shot, support is everything, but given the right circumstances, I know me and my equipment are capable. Some pistols I shoot out to 300 while others I wouldn't take a shot past 50.
Your expectations are too high imo. It's a glock......not a tc contender.

Just my 2 cents.

Stay away from S&B 10mm as they barely give the snap of a 40. I found for off the shelf range ammo that SIG Elite had more snap that a 40, without having to buy Buffalo Bore.

An alternative to Buffalo Bore is Underwood. Just as spicy though.

Your expectations are too high imo. It's a glock......not a tc contender.

Just my 2 cents.
Kind of. 18” at 50 yards is downright bad though, even for a stock Glock.

231 is horrible for something like 10mm.. this isn't a mouse fart cartridge
I'm aware that it isn't ideal, but published data shows comparable FPS against other powders. I picked up some AA No9, I know 10mm isn't a mouse fart cartridge, thats what I'm trying to avoid, but "real" 10mm load data apparently isn't popular, unless I just want to go off of what some guy on the internet told me.

I'm aware that it isn't ideal, but published data shows comparable FPS against other powders. I picked up some AA No9, I know 10mm isn't a mouse fart cartridge, thats what I'm trying to avoid, but "real" 10mm load data apparently isn't popular, unless I just want to go off of what some guy on the internet told me.

Alliant Power Pistol. That's one place to start.

231 is not juiced in any loading. It sucks the least in 45 but that's not saying much.

A Glock isn’t a Thompson Center Contender with a fixed barrel. You shouldn’t expect the same kind of accuracy from a Glock.

That said, it should be better than what you are getting. My Glock 23 is one of my more accurate Glocks.

A Glock isn’t a Thompson Center Contender with a fixed barrel. You shouldn’t expect the same kind of accuracy from a Glock.

That said, it should be better than what you are getting. My Glock 23 is one of my more accurate Glocks.

I'm cognizant that a Glock is not a TC, nor do I expect it to be, however I do agree it should be better than it is. Is it unrealistic to expect 6-8" at 100 yds for whats touted to be a hunting pistol? I'm not being sarcastic, really. I mean, if that's the way it is I guess that's just how it goes, I had just thought differently.

Ed McGivern is that you? Do you own any other semiauto pistol that you can keep under minute of deer at 100 yards?
Is minute of deer unrealistic for a semiauto? Serious question. Thats why I got this Glock 40, not like I'm gonna CCW the thing.

Edit: Reading some accuracy reviews and testing, it seems that 4-6" @ 50yds is about the best that can be expected. Thats fine if thats the case, why I asked here if anyone had any experience with it. Guess I could keep it for alternative season for a challenge or something. Like I said, aside from rimfires, I don't have any experience hand gunning with a semi at any real distance.

Last edited:
I'm cognizant that a Glock is not a TC, nor do I expect it to be, however I do agree it should be better than it is. Is it unrealistic to expect 6-8" at 100 yds for whats touted to be a hunting pistol? I'm not being sarcastic, really. I mean, if that's the way it is I guess that's just how it goes, I had just thought differently.
Not many people have the eyes and skills to shoot a Glock well at a 50 or 100 yard target. The Glock trigger doesn’t help either.

6” at 100 yards might be optimistic for a standard service pistol, even if you clamped it in a Ransom rest.

You are dealing with a tilting barrel action, where accuracy is a function of how well the barrel hood locks up with the slide and how repeatable that is. In contrast, a revolver and a TC have a fixed barrel which gives a lot of accuracy advantages.

A custom tuned 1911 with a gunsmith installed match grade barrel and trigger will get you more accuracy, but that’s a lot more money (and possibly frustrations) than a Glock.

Back when I had young eyes, I could shoot a 6-8” group at 50 yards from prone with my full size Kimber 1911. I couldn’t do that offhand, though I’m sure some could.

Last edited:
For example, Wilson Combat guarantees accuracy of 1.5” at 25 yards for their 1911s. That meets your goal of 6” at 100 yards, but it is from a $4,000 semi-custom handgun with a much, much better trigger than any Glock. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect the same accuracy from a $500 Glock.

For example, Wilson Combat guarantees accuracy of 1.5” at 25 yards for their 1911s. That meets your goal of 6” at 100 yards, but it is from a $4,000 semi-custom handgun with a much, much better trigger than any Glock. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect the same accuracy from a $500 Glock.

Makes perfect sense to me in that perspective.

H110 is probably too slow. im thinking more like power pistol, unique, maybeee N340? There's probably a bunch of other viable ones, too.

Blue Dot, 800x have a strong following, as well as No9, so I'll try those. Some of those No9 loads are compressed, but I'll stick to published data and roll with it. I use a good bit of Unique in everything from 9mm to 45/70, its a great light plinking load in the larger calibers.

Back
Top Bottom