Glock 22 vs Glock 20

Looking into getting my first full size glock. What are they pros and cons of choosing the 20 over 22? I know the 10mm of the G 20 is a stronger load but does it compromise accuracy? I currently own a G23, the first hand gun I have bought. I am also getting started in reloading so finding 10mm shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks,
Quinn

I ahve a G29 and I love it. I can only imagine it would be easier to handle in a full size frame. I say go with the G20!!

I am also getting started in reloading so finding 10mm shouldn't be much of a problem.
40 S&W is one of the most readily available and inexpensive center fire brass handgun cases. The 10mm doesn't come close in terms of affordability, or availability, of brass.

I have both a Glock 20 in 10mm and a Glock 23 in .40 S&W plus a .40 S&W barrel for my Glock 20.

The 10mm round is as accurate as the .40 S&W if you can manage the recoil of a high power pistol cartriage and you and you can grip the longer grip well. My recommendation is if you can rent both and they both "feel" reasonable to you, pick up the Glock 20. If you want inexpensive ammunition for practice shooting, pick up a .40 S&W conversion barrel for the Glock 20 and you can shoot both.

Any 10mm can be loaded to .40 S&W specifications, the 10mm just allows higher power when desired. A 10mm can also be used for hunting medium game in many areas that restrict hunting to shotguns and handguns (recommend a 6" "hunting" barrel)

If the Glock 20 doesn't "feel" right or it feels like it's slipping in your grip when it recoils, you might be happier with the Glock 22.

Just a heads up that there is an "SF" or "short frame" version of the Glock 20 (and I think some of the other "larger" Glocks as well). A Glock 20SF feels A LOT more like a Glock 17 in your hand; albeit a beefier slide. So if a normal Glock 20 is too big for your hands (but a Glock 17 is not), try a Glock 20SF first before dismissing their 10mm lineup all together.

You can also convert a Glock 20 to 357 sig or 40; but you can't go the other way around.

G20.

I have a G22 and am happy with it, but I shot a G20 when I was 13 and I fell in love it then. Probably the only way I would pick up a G20 now is if it was offered in the Gen4 line in MA. (deep inhale of breath)

There are simply too many guns on my list. Much like my stance on illegal immigration, I believe any new gun I'm interested in should then be placed at the back of the line. Afterall, the other guns are well-qualified and have patiently waited.[smile]

If reloading is not an issue, and your OK with the large size grip then go with the G20. However don't expect to find brass around, you'll probably have to buy it off the shelf. The SF isn't all that much smaller so don't expect it to feel like a G22 in your hands.....it's stilll a large frame.

Unless you are gaming with it (eg, shooting in events where you will lose brass) get the 10mm. Far more versatile cartridge. With modest loads good brass will last a long time.

-Mike

+1
Not a big fan of the .40

It's really about what you will enjoy shooting though, that is more important than any list of advantages or disadvantages the guys here can give you.

Not trying to get the thread offtrack, but is there a reason you didn't mention the G21?

If he's just starting into reloading....he can use the same dies and bullets for 40 and 10mm right? (correct me if I'm wrong) Don't get me wrong, I love the 45ACP and the G21 but it would require more and separate supplies........

If he's just starting into reloading....he can use the same dies and bullets for 40 and 10mm right? (correct me if I'm wrong) Don't get me wrong, I love the 45ACP and the G21 but it would require more and separate supplies........

Yes, both cases use the same dies, you just back the expander and bullet seating die out to accound for the length difference between the two cases. Some sets also back the resizing die as well.

While they use the same bullets, they don't share primers (Large Pistol for 10mm and Small Pistol for .40 S&W) You can use the same powder though.

Remember - A 10mm can do everything a .40 S&W can do, plus it can be loaded to higher velocity if desired AND there are .40 S&W barrels for the Glock 20. It's like deciding between a .38 Special and .357Magnum.

IF you like the feel of the Glock 20, go for the Glock 20. If you don't like the feel of the Glock 20, pick up the Glock 22 (or 23). And if you go with a Glock 22 (or 23) I'd recommend picking up the conversion barrels for .357sig and 9mm as well.

I have a G29, G20, extra barrel for both ( 357, 40) a S&W 1076, and a Delta Elite. Guess where I stand on the 10 :cool: SPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom