Glass for a PTR91 Rifle

JGreen

NES Member
Centrally locatated to several GREAT gun clubs
I am seeking advice from the great minds at NES[smile]

I'm considering the purchase of a PTR91 rifle in .308 with an 18" barrel. I expect most of my firing to be at 75-150 yards from a supported position.

I'm curious to hear what forum members would recommend I purchase for a scope. Retail value should not exceed $500.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I'd get one of the Super Sniper scope - my Uncle has one and swears by (for the price). Before I sold my PTR :( that was the scope I was going to throw on it. Of course the big question with a PTR is mount choice - most people use a claw, but I think there is a pic rail version around?

I think it depends on what your ultimate purpose for this rifle is. Sure, you can certainly stick a SuperSniper, or a Leupold on deck and have one heck of a long range rifle. If however you're strictly going to be shooting at the ranges described, then you could look at something a bit smaller and more utilitarian. One that comes to mind is the new Millet DMS. It has all the utility and fast aiming of an electronic sight, with the magnification on board for longer range shooting. The price is right, the quality is there and you'll have a multi-purpose optic on deck that will answer a variety of shooting conditions. You'll also need to do some homework on mounts. Optic mounting on the HK platform can either be hugely successful, or a major PITA. Original HK Claw-lock mounts are superb, but watch out for the Tapco-type knock offs. If you do some searching, you'll find Millet DMS getting some great reviews. You could also go for something similar in a Leupold, but you'll pay well over twice as much....Good luck!

http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php

Back
Top Bottom