• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ghost guns in firearm restricted countries ?

they pushed regulations further, as the barrels and slides there are also numbered prohibited parts to sell to the public. not only receivers as here.

if you look at any european made gun, you will see 3 serials on it - on each of the components, which are all very much prohibited.
I noticed on a Gen5 Glock that there is now a serial number on the frame, slide, and barrel that matches.

Re-militarization of demilitarized guns in the UK had been a significant source of guns recovered from crimes, until they made owning such guns by collectors illegal. While not “ghost guns”, it shows the lengths criminals will go to in obtaining firearms. Ghost Guns are considered a “global threat”, according to new sources.

Outside of war, shooting people is a cultural thing - some cultures stab and bludgeon, the US shoots. In recent years, 36% of US firearms deaths were among Blacks, with 83% of Black gun deaths being homicides - a rate ~2.5-times higher than among whites, among whom suicide gun deaths are higher than homicides by 2:1. Giffords tells us that while Black males account for just six percent of the total population, they comprise more than half of all gun homicide victims. Absent the Black male culture of shooting one another, the US rate approaches the global mean. The Black population is 4% in the UK (vs 14% in the US) and the Black firearms homicide rate is ~4-times higher than the rate for whites. There, like the US, homicide is a mostly intra-racial thing - most Blacks are shot by Blacks, whites by whites, Hispanics by Hispanics, etc.

The demand for “illegal guns”, including ghost guns, is probably lower where shooting cultures does not permeate urban cities of 500k+ population - where most homicides occur.

Does it really MATTER if people in foreign countries kill each other off? Why is this a global problem, as opposed to a global solution?

The former prime minister of Japan was killed by a guy with a home-made shotgun.
Proving once again that if someone wants a firearm bad enough, they'll get one, no matter what the laws are where they live.

I think it was "Without Remorse" (A Clancy novel) where the special ops guy, before he got involved with the CIA or whatever, went on sort of a rescue mission and killed a bunch of street drug dealers. A good read, by the way, if you haven't.

In one of his missions, wth was his name... oh yeah. Clark. He machined a shotgun shell activation device that delivers the payload at skin touch distance, directly into the abdominal cavity, which results in a fair amount of disruption to internal organs and such, and the abdomen acts as a virtual silencer.

I've never tried this, so as a practical matter I can't really judge, but it sounds like a really expedient way to quietly off drug dealers.

I think he spent, $0.00 on the firearm, plus whatever a shell costs.

Boy wish we could all go back to the gud ol days when us coloreds be in dem cotton fields singin the blues and saluting yass massa.

I personally do not trust the news media of today. It is galling to KNOW that 200 years from now, historians will be writing textbooks that are largely based on what you read in the Boston Glob or New York Slimes today.

So, I wonder how accurate our picture of that era 200 years ago actually is?

Slavery was an idea that should have been stillborn. But it happened and was awful for those caught up in it. Still, I doubt that you, or I or anyone alive can accurately describe what was going on then. It could have been much better (or much worse!) than we imagine.

Does it really MATTER if people in foreign countries kill each other off? Why is this a global problem, as opposed to a global solution?

I totally agree, from that perspective. While I struggle with the notion that the rights of the people defined in the COTUS/BOR apply to anyone who can sneak across our borders, I don’t feel any obligation to rescue other county’s citizens from their governments. They need to shed the blood like our ancestors did (and we still do) to make their own way. How many other countries adopted huge chunks of the US COTUS/BOR but still end up being sh*tholes? The vast proportion. It’s about the people, not the paper.

That said, we’re already fighting Civil War 2.0, but just haven’t picked up weapons yet. By the time we do, there’s a lot less to fight for or save. Think of “countries” where different ideological/political groups control different regions by force - those are “failed” countries that just haven’t split into separate countries yet. We’ve already drawn our boundaries - it’s only some remaining commonality of law that holds the US together. But that glue is getting weaker, as Lawfare become a perversion of our legal system. Trump is just the “Poster Child” in this Lawfare war. That the Dems are willing (and apparently able) to fight such a war is an Achilles’ Heel in our way of government. Whether it succeeds or not boils down to our people. And I have grave doubts.

I personally do not trust the news media of today. It is galling to KNOW that 200 years from now, historians will be writing textbooks that are largely based on what you read in the Boston Glob or New York Slimes today.

So, I wonder how accurate our picture of that era 200 years ago actually is?

Slavery was an idea that should have been stillborn. But it happened and was awful for those caught up in it. Still, I doubt that you, or I or anyone alive can accurately describe what was going on then. It could have been much better (or much worse!) than we imagine.

Yes, the victors (and the Masters) write the histories. Patriarchy and slavery were the dominant systems for millennia, from well before history was recorded. While overt slavery is rare (estimates of 50 million, 0.7% of the world’s population), male dominant societies are still the norm. But females write as much (or more) than men these days in all form of media.

Unfortunately, the training set for Artificial Intelligence is the total corpus of written text and transcribed audiovisual and the bias is on the last decade, so history will be the words of Candace Owens, Rachel Maddow, Joe Rogan, Tucker Carlson, Ibram Kendi, Jon Stewart, …

Am I the only one who thinks OP is posting his question in the wrong forum? Maybe I am just being too closed-minded. It's totally plausible that Gabby Giffords is blackmailing him to post that question on a gun forum. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom