Getting stuff from the UK...

milktree

NES Member
So... a friend of mine was willed a couple shotguns and a disabled (plugged barrel, welded action) revolver by his uncle in the UK.

1) My understanding is that a disabled handgun is nothing more than a paperweight as far as the UK, US, and MA governments are concerned, so he *should* be able to stuff it in his luggage and fly home with it. Except that someone might freak out that there's something that looks like a revolver in his luggage, and that could suck. So he could ship it to himself, but then someone else might freak out and he'd lose it. Is there a sensible / surefire way to move a replica/disabled handgun from the UK to MA?

2) How do you move shotguns from the UK to the US? Do they need to go through an importer who will have to put their stamp on it, or can it go directly to a FFL with the right customs forms filled out? They're all stuff you can have in the UK, so there's nothing legally questionable about any of them.

I think you need an importer but this is not a strong knowledge area for me. He might contact BATFE (or use Google, I'm sure that it's come up before) and perhaps a firearms attorney that also knows something wrt importing guns.

Not being crass but this sounds like it's going to be a huge investment when you start talking importers and attorneys. Man, nothing is simple anymore, for sure.

Not being crass but this sounds like it's going to be a huge investment when you start talking importers and attorneys. Man, nothing is simple anymore, for sure.

Oh, I'm sure it'll be a pain in the ass. I just have no idea if it's a "spend $500k to create a legal importation business" or a "$300 to a dealer who knows how these things works" problem.

Be careful of the UK laws as well. Things have gone full retard over there, and it may very well be the case that de-activated weapons require a permission slip from the crown.

Back
Top Bottom