Getting started

Just looking for any perticualr advice anyone can offer. I finaly got around to picking up a cheap handheld and I grabbed an ARRL license manual (level 1). Should I bother trying to join up to a local club or wait until I get the license and get use to working the radio?

Tech license is the easy first step - mostly learning where you can play radio on the spectrum, not a lot of theory. Should only be a few weeks studying.

Find a local club - suggest you look at a couple and go to their meetings once, I would guess very few are meeting over the summer so you may not get to a meeting until September. YMMV in enjoying club meetings, they can be open or clique, difficult to tell, though all will be happy to see a new Ham!!

You can start listening on the handheld now - http://www.nerepeaters.com/2m.htm will tell you local repeater frequencies. Couple active repeaters would be Paxton (W1BIM) and MMRA System

Tim/KQ1Y

Join a club. Just like hanging out at the range, you'll get to learn from experienced people and see and try all sorts of gear. Don't wait until you get used to the radio. The club is there to help you get used to the radio. Programming handhelds can be a confusing pain. Most hams are eager to help and show off their knowledge and equipment.

Back
Top Bottom