New to me ICOM IC-R71A, and getting into Ham

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I picked up a R71A a couple weeks ago. My Realistic DX302 had very scratchy pots and also I just love the looks of the R71A. So far it is a killer on BCB, and sensitive on SW. Tonight I am listening to a show about Shortwave Radio on 5.950 a 1 kw station from Miami FL. It is weak but audible.
I am running an all band trapped dipole in my attic about 40 feet long.
I sprayed Faderlube Deoxit F5 into the pots and they seem much better on the DX302. I also have a DX440 and Sangean 803A.

I got my ticket, Technician Plus back in 1995 now it is Technician but I have never done anything with it, I got it when I was doing volunteer work on the battleship Mass, redoing the radio room. Now I am thing of not only getting a HT and/or a mobile 2m/70cm but got a ARRL guide for a General, boy have I forgotten a lot!

0 Shack b.jpg

Great radio...I used to have one. Very sensitive receiver. Do you know when the backup battery was last changed? I believe if that goes dead, it takes the program info in the volatile RAM with it and it has to be re-installed by Icom or a tech that has the program.

There is a company called Piexx, actually it's in Hillsborough, NH and he sells a board that keeps this from happening (or at least used to). Here's the website info...

It looks like he still carries them.

Good luck!

Also....I brought your "likes" over 1000 :)

Last edited:
Get your general and a HF Transceiver.
How did you go from tech plus to tech? Did you let the tech plus expire? I may be wrong, but it seems that those with a tech plus could go to general with no further testing when the code requirement was dropped. Don't know how that was done. Got the info second hand. Jack. W1FKG.

Great radio...I used to have one. Very sensitive receiver. Do you know when the backup battery was last changed? I believe if that goes dead, it takes the program info in the volatile RAM with it and it has to be re-installed by Icom or a tech that has the program.

There is a company called Piexx, actually it's in Hillsborough, NH and he sells a board that keeps this from happening (or at least used to). Here's the website info...

It looks like he still carries them.

Good luck!

Also....I brought your "likes" over 1000 :)

A friend of mine is changing it this weekend for me. I am happy with it, snared a 1 KW station out of Miami the other night!

How did you go from tech plus to tech? Did you let the tech plus expire? I may be wrong, but it seems that those with a tech plus could go to general with no further testing when the code requirement was dropped. Don't know how that was done. Got the info second hand. Jack. W1FKG.
Nope, they went to tech...from the ARRL:

In 2000, the FCC restructured the license classes, and where there were six classes -- Novice, Technician, Tech-Plus, General, Advanced and Amateur Extra -- only the Technician, General and Amateur Extra survived. Novice and Advanced class licenses could still be renewed and modified, but Tech-Plus licensees would be classified as Technicians upon renewal, but still retain their code credit and HF operating privileges.

They automatically changed ALL Tech Plus to Tech and Novices to Tech, have to take the test for General
Not all. Depends on the time frame. I just Googled "Technician plus to general". Take a look. Jack.
No Techs can get a General without taking a General test -
regardless of when the Tech was granted.

The Vintage (pre-21-Mar-87) Techs took a General test (Element 3) before '87 to get their Vintage Tech.
(They merely only passed 5WPM code not 13WPM code,
which is why they got a Vintage Tech and not a General).

Vintage Techs just don't have to take Element 3 again to be granted an upgrade.

I've been licensed for 56 years now. Can I apply to go from general to "Obsolete" ? Jack.
Just wear this. People will figure it out.
ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,flatlay,heather_grey,front,wide_portrait,750x1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

Now that's Fine Biz. Jack.
Never forget:

The ARRL was founded by Hiram Percy Maxim
because he needed a sked to relay a message
from Hartford to some guy in Springfield
selling an audion tube in the classifieds.

Despite being a millionaire, he skinflinted so hard
that he refused to pay the Post Office, Telephone Company, or Western Union
to send the message.

I have two tube radios, one is an old floor Model from the 30's and the other a Realistic DX75 I will try to get pics when I can think of it
Maybe you need to know about this:
Specifically:
poster_8x11_nashua.jpg

Never forget:

The ARRL was founded by Hiram Percy Maxim
because he needed a sked to relay a message
from Hartford to some guy in Springfield
selling an audion tube in the classifieds.

Despite being a millionaire, he skinflinted so hard
that he refused to pay the Post Office, Telephone Company, or Western Union
to send the message.
That's pro level skinflinting.

Back
Top Bottom