• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

interested in getting a technicians license

greencobra

NES Member
i'v been nosing around this site

is this where i want to be ^^ for information? i found a point and click app there to find a test location near me. that would be chelmsford and there seems to be a test for technician licensing every month.

they say the test is 30 questions pulled from a pool of questions. i can't seem to find a technicians test study guide on that site although they seem to have one for the next grade of license, the general license. i think i have this right. is there a technicians study guide? or will getting the general book cover both? i hate school and tests, i can't believe i want to do this. my end game is to get a portable hand held radio to travel with. if you guys remember, i was asking about cb radio not long ago and the answers pushed me in this direction. i want to be ready for the insurrection...and if there's no insurrection, have it with me when i put my tiny house on the back of my truck and hit the road for communications.

it doesn't take long, or much, for me to get confused. i'd like to say HELP! walk me through the process. but i'm not gonna. am i on the road to discovery here, guys? there's a contact name on that web site of a local coordinator, i will get in touch with him. hey! maybe he is one of us (you) and if you are shoot me a pm.

any helpful ideas or fatherly advice would make me indebted to you all. so am i climbing the right tree. thank you guys!

Excellent site...passed tech and general just by studying the flash cards. I do have an EE background so that helped. Honestly, many of the questions are not electrical in nature, operations, regulations, etc.
After you pass the test, buy a Signal Stuff antenna for your HT. The sales support hamstudy.org and they're good antennas, maybe not the best, but very well loved.

I don't know about his courses, but I watch a lot of HRCC's videos. I'd be willing to bet his crash course is pretty good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc6YA9odhTs&list=PL1KAjn5rGhiwr0dtuidARiSVW8o8F9a3x

The process isn't terrible:

Study for test. Also study the question pool and focus only on the correct answers, ignoring the incorrect answers. I highlighted the correct ones.
Take a pile of online practice tests. I also found this site's flash cards to be useful.
Find a test (if they say no walk-ins, make sure you contact ahead of time)
Get FRN from FCC. This is a number the FCC will use to identify you and is used for all subsequent licenses. This is not your license number, more of an SSN for the FCC.
Take the test
FCC will bill you
Pay them promptly
Receive license
Key the mic

Most people, myself included, will encourage you to study for General too. If you pass the Tech, you can take the General right then and there and get a two-fer if you pass. You can take all three tests if you want, but I found Tech to be Ham 101, General to be Ham 102, and Extra to be Ham 501.

Before you start buying radios, let me suggest you ignore the Baofengs. The price tag is tempting, but once you get accessories the little money you saved is in the mud. There are plenty of good HTs under $100.

There's also this free radio offer going on right now. I don't know anything about the radio, but at a minimum it could be a good option to throw in a bag or your vehicle.

i used the qrz practice tests to study, they were great. i also took advantage of this promotion. the radio arrived yesterday. easier to use than a baofeng (except for the scan feature) and much better sounding as well. that promotion expires the end of the month so you need to move quickly now.
(as an aside i know @ToddDubya has suggested signal stuff antennas so i just ordered one of those to go with the explorer radio. the antenna connection is different than that of the baofeng radios.)

New England Sci-Tech in Natick MA is a nonprofit makerspace that is very active with ham radio. They also teach classes regularly. In person and via zoom.

New England Sci-Tech in Natick MA is a nonprofit makerspace that is very active with ham radio. They also teach classes regularly. In person and via zoom.
This is where I took my class. It was at the beginning of the plandemic and 100% via zoom.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE GUYS!

Bill
N1ASW

Back
Top Bottom