Getting form 1 approved by CLEO in Lynn

I wonder if anybody has successful in getting a sign off on an individual Form 1 by Chief in Lynn? I am thinking going this route instead of a trust.

Thanks.

I really dont know Andy. It is certainly worth a shot. I am lucky enough to live in an area in MA where getting CLEO signoffs has never been a problem but I think I live in an area that is considered a minority in MA. However with that being said..... call up the Chief and make an appointment, dress nice, bring proper documentation with you and be ready to be polite and explain the NFA process to him because chances are his understanding of NFA is not that accurate. Make sure to explain (bring a copy of machine gun buyers guide with you) that him sigining the form does nothing more than state that he as NO INFORMATION that you will use the item for anything other than lawful purposes. It does not hold him responsible in any way.

good luck and keep us posted.
Rob

him sigining the form does nothing more than state that he as NO INFORMATION that you will use the item for anything other than lawful purposes. It does not hold him responsible in any way.

good luck and keep us posted.
Rob

This information is not complete. His signature also attests that he has "no information that Possession of the Firearm described in Item 4 on the Front of this Form would place the maker in Violation of State or Local Law"
So he's vouching that to the best of his knowledge, whatever Class 3 weapon you are making is legal to posses in your state and town.

Unless this is the only Class 3 firearm you will ever own (and a suppressor is considered to be a firearm) Just set up a trust bypass this whole load of crap.
I can kick out a Form 1 in about 10 minutes. Its so simple now. No fingerprints either when you have a trust.

this is correct..... its not that hard to show the CLEO what the state law states on MGs, SBRs, SBSs etc and prove to them that it would not place the applicant in violation of the law. I guess I would expect that the CLEO would make sure this was the case and hopefully the applicant would have the state regs to prove it. On the other hand we all know how inconsistent our law makers and LEOs can be on this issue.

I agree that its easier to go with the trust in the longrun especially if you plan to get more NFA items however, I have 4 MGs and live in MA and have no problems getting a sign off whatsoever so for me doing the CLEO thing is no problem. Now if you plan to go the trust route make sure its done CORRECTLY and make sure someone that has done it before looks over it or ATF/NFA WILL kick it back because these days EVERYONE is going the trust route to bypass the CLEO and NFA knows it and is checking with a fine tooth comb to make sure its all correctly done. I spoke with 2 NFA examiners (Andrew Ashton) the last time on this issue and he told me that they are instructed to really look hard now at the trust paperwork to make sure all the ties are crossed. Its not rocket science by any means and its pretty basic but just take the time to make it 100 % official.

So yes go the trust route if you have trouble with the CLEO signoff but take the time to do it right in the start and you wont have any problems at all.

good luck,

Rob

Last edited:
If you plan on leaving you nfa items to anyone a trust is worth every penny. I have never had a Le issue as my local Chief thinks people should own more firearms. I got a trust to make it easier if anything was to happen to me. Plus if you name anybody else co owner of the trust they can have the item without you being there. Ie you wife can take the suppressor to the range without you.

If you plan on leaving you nfa items to anyone a trust is worth every penny. I have never had a Le issue as my local Chief thinks people should own more firearms. I got a trust to make it easier if anything was to happen to me. Plus if you name anybody else co owner of the trust they can have the item without you being there. Ie you wife can take the suppressor to the range without you.

This is huge. If I die, my wife becomes the settlor and she can use the guns as she likes. She also has the authority to name new trustees. Any trustee can be in possession of an NFA firearm.
I've also named a friend of mine who I shoot with as a trustee so he can borrow the guns.

Finally, a friend of mine was going through a divorce. He didn't want to take any chances since all it takes is for the wife to say that she felt threatened and they come and empty out your safe.

If he had owned the guns it would have been very difficult to legally move the guns. With a trust, he named a parent as a trustee, which is as simple as signing and notorizing a form, and got all the guns out of his house temporarily.

Andy - did you ever pursue this further? I am looking into a 9mm SBR build and live in Lynn as well, so would like to know how the CLEO is.

Back
Top Bottom