Getting a permit in Schenectady County

A friend of mine was wondering if anyone has any experience with the process of getting a gun permit in Schenectady County. From what he and I have heard there can be many places in NYS that can be pretty against the 2nd Amendment. Any feedback or experience would be great.

My father has been licensed there since the 70's. He mentioned a while back that the Sheriff was retiring and isn't sure what to expect when his renewal comes up.

In upstate NY, permits are generally issued by a judge and the processing handled through the country clerk - with the sheriff involved in the record check. Some, but not all, judges impose "target only" restrictions except for persons of privilige, power and influence.

Not to worry though, the NY legislature passed a speedy permit law (really). They are required to either make a decision, or update you on the status of your application, within 6 months of the date you submit it - though approvals in the 3-4 month timeframe are more typical the last I heard.

1. Get application from Schenectady County Clerk's office.

2. Take one of the required courses listed on the application direction sheet.

3. Take the handgun safety course certificate to a gun store and purchase a pistol. (they will keep the pistol for you until you either get your permit or are denied.) Make a photo-copy of the bill of sale from the gun store and include it with your application.

4.N Fill out the applications. Three copies, BLACK INK, references must sign each copy.. BE SUPER NEAT

5.N References: Each will fill out and return the form to the Sheriff's office. GIVE THEM EACH A STAMPED SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE TO SPEED THINGS UP.

One can and should be your spouse... NO other relatives. No elected officials.. Law enforcement agency members are OK.

** It is important to know that these references must be completed and returned to the sheriff's office BEFORE you come in to be fingerprinted.

6.N A letter to the Judge must be included. WHY YOU NEED A PISTOL PERMIT AND WHAT YOU WILL DO WITH IT..
Hunting/Target/Recreational shooting etc. are good reasons.. Self defense IS NOT ..... Without some kind of really, really, really, very, very very good and provable reason.

7. Four 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inch photos. Passport quality (CVS OR ANY OTHER PHOTO SHOP).

The above is from a New York State shooting bulletin board[grin]

The system has been streamlined and modernized since Judge Drago took over. It still takes several months to get a permit. A hunting and target restriction is normally added. Toni and Ashley in the Pistol Permit Department in the Schenectady County Clerks Office are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. A pistol can now be added to your license the day you purchase it.

Back
Top Bottom