German Soldier Clad Student Fatally Shot By Police

Knob Creek

NES Member
SEATTLE — A college student dressed in a vintage German military uniform who was fatally shot by police on New Year's Day was a harmless, eccentric history buff, his family and friends said Friday.

Miles Murphy, a University of Washington senior, was shot several times at his apartment early Thursday after police said he pointed a rifle affixed with a bayonet at officers and refused orders to drop the weapon.

Seattle police had converged on Murphy's apartment after receiving complaints that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds into the air. Murphy emerged from inside and pointed what was later identified as a World War II Kar 98 German infantry rifle at the officers, police said.

When he refused several orders to drop the weapon, two officers fired seven shots, police Officer Jeff Kappel said. Murphy was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he died.

A witness told some officers at the scene that Murphy had been firing blanks that night.

Police searching the house found alcohol, live ammunition and a large collection of German, Russian and Nazi memorabilia including photographs and uniforms, Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said.

But Murphy "wasn't a Nazi," Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "He was just fascinated with the past... He liked to dress up and have fun."

Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske called the situation "truly sad" but stood by the officers' actions. "Right now, I don't see any other choice that they had," he said.

The two officers who fired at Murphy were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Murphy, 22, was a senior Germanics major, university President Mark Emmert said in a statement Friday mourning his loss.

Murphy wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia, said his friend Spencer Bray.

He was "a peaceful and loving young man," his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,475505,00.html

How's the saying go?

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Sad to see a young life ruined like this, but he made his own bed.

He's lucky they even gave him a chance to drop it. If someone points a rifle at me on purpose, the time for talking is over.

"He was "a peaceful and loving young man," his mother, Dianne Murphy, told the local newspaper".

if he was so harmless how come he pointed his K98 at the cops?

Another example of some idiot who was never taught proper firearms safety rules. He should have been taught that you never point a rifle at somebody, unless you intend to shoot them. The cops certainly knew that rule, and acted accordingly. No fault to the cops, sorry they had to be put through that ordeal.

Idiot. On the other side of it, I'll bet there hasn't been someone wearing that uniform having a genuine, non-acted reaction to a bullet hit in over 60 years. Hope they were at least carrying .45 ACP.

If you point a rifle or pistol at the police you can pretty much expect to be shot. My heart goes out to the two officers.

Darwin 1 Common Sense 0

He probably cared more about his milsurp rifle than he cared for his llfe - so needless.

he was probably so blind drunk he had no idea of impending death.

college kid + booze + (most things involving police) = huge problem..

I'm sorry for his family.

Yes, we've only got one side here. One thing though; at the very least the story suggests a degree casualness with a firearm that's a bit foolish. It's not a toy nor is it an accessory to a costume.

Awww couldn't the police used something non-lethal or at least only shot and wounded him........

Ummmmmmmmmmm nope.

Sad but stupid, and I have friends that wonder why I took my son through a hunter safety class when he was 10........(yes they voted for obama)

Back
Top Bottom