• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GCAB Meeting-9/28/07 - AAR

Having worked in LE for 25 years, having qualified with other officers once or twice a year for 18 of those years and having had guns (usually loaded) pointed at me in police stations due to carelessness and ignorance and, I feel safer being around a number of gunnies (which does include a handful of LEOs who take guns and gun safety seriously) who I have reason to believe take safety seriously . . . than being around any number of random LEOs, who (from personal experience) ignore the safety rules on a regular basis.

+100
Through the limit involvement with helping with the qualifing process... I AGREE!

- The Boston PD Det-Sgt member of GCAB made a point to say that MA could make LEOSA STRICTER than Fed Law, but they couldn't make it looser than Fed Law. Specifically what she has in mind is a direct violation of the intent, if not the Law (LEOSA) by restricting this "privilege" to only a few select LEOs instead of all that are Federally qualified. There were two other GCAB members who took issue with that position, but it seems that it was held by the majority present. She certainly serves her "Master" (Mumbles Menino) well at GCAB!!

That's definitely the sort of "logic" that Mumbles would use. It's a shame that retired LEOs can no longer carry in VT without jumping through a lot of hoops, unlike everybody else who can carry without any restrictions. And I guess retired LEO's with Mass LTCs will now have to re-qualify annually in addition. After all, can't be looser than federal law. [rolleyes] [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

I'm really disappointed to hear about Ron Glidden apparently having decided he's in the big time now and has to go along to get along. We were very seriously considering asking him do a seminar, but will undoubtedly rethink that now.

Ken

I'm really disappointed to hear about Ron Glidden apparently having decided he's in the big time now and has to go along to get along. We were very seriously considering asking him do a seminar, but will undoubtedly rethink that now.Ken

Sounds like you should. It's obvious he's no longer on the right side.

I've had a few cordial discussions with him over the last decade but none for a good while. It might be worth someone who is current with him having a chat to see where he stands. He was a good resource and it would be a shame to lose him over a possible misunderstanding.

Unfortunate. I'll still buy the MA Firearms Manual, if it continues to be revised. Wonder if other than active LEOs will be welcome at his courses.

I'd imagine that it wasn't anything the non-LEO citizen did that turned him, but rather, the rarified atmosphere of being among the select few that dictate who, how and when mere mortals can exercise natural rights. Perhaps that will straighten out some day.

I too have heard a lot of things about how the board is run that makes me feel without a doubt that the "pro-gun" members are treated like dirt and little more than a nuisance to the 'majority'.

Good luck getting a meeting schedule or an agenda in any kind of timely manner. Both things that are required by law for a public meeting. I have heard from members of the board that they have had calls at 9pm informing them of a 10am meeting the next day. Or, no notification at all except by a 'friend'.

Lets not even get into the political appointments and other power deals that have been going on. The whole thing just stinks. Gotta love a secret organization that "advises" an unelected official as to what kind of policy should be placed on one of the few singly enumerated rights listed in the very Constitution we are supposed to be living under.

I too have heard a lot of things about how the board is run that makes me feel without a doubt that the "pro-gun" members are treated like dirt and little more than a nuisance to the 'majority'.

Good luck getting a meeting schedule or an agenda in any kind of timely manner. Both things that are required by law for a public meeting. I have heard from members of the board that they have had calls at 9pm informing them of a 10am meeting the next day. Or, no notification at all except by a 'friend'.

Lets not even get into the political appointments and other power deals that have been going on. The whole thing just stinks. Gotta love a secret organization that "advises" an unelected official as to what kind of policy should be placed on one of the few singly enumerated rights listed in the very Constitution we are supposed to be living under.

How long have they been dragging their feet on the target bill?... Nuff said.[angry]

Not rubbing it in, just trying to push the fence sitters to the light/right side.

The more of you we get up here the better.

Not sitting on the fence. If we COULD move, we WOULD. That's just not an option at this point. [sad]

And honestly, when we do move again, its gonna be someplace warmer.. [wink]

Wouldn't surprise me at all that the subterfuge there is basically
intentional. People doing bad things like avoiding public
scrutiny of any kind; hence prop 2.5 override votes on
oddball days, etc. I guess GCAB is no different. They want
to avoid a reporter appearing and hanging out at the meetings and
getting someone saying dumb things printed, etc. (Course, it'd
be hard to get media to show up at all, but by playing dodge
ball, that makes it even harder).

-Mike

Doug,

Never bothered to read the law (or GOAL's website) on what constitutes the GCAB I see!! [rolleyes]

By virtue of MGL, the President of GOAL is a sitting member of the GCAB. [grin]...

Despite the fact that I was pretty sure this was the case does not mean that they were (he was) there. Thanks, though.

Finally, what can be done about it? When's the rally? (When was the last rally? Hudson or Boston?) People do care.

I wonder if someone read the riot act to him? My old supervisior here at work is acting that way too and probably someone up top told him you work for the company, not your employees. Somebody could be threatening him with a position loss unless he starts getting in line with the rest of the state for gun laws. This is just a thought.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom