gas masks...anyone know anything about them??

well, this administration is scaring the shit out of me so ive been looking into getting some gas masks for me and my family. Im not sure exactly what i should be looking for other then the fact that anything under $200 is probably complete shit. Does anyone know anything about them? Looking for something that will work under pretty much a worse case senario short of a full body suit. Any help would be appreciated.

i found these and was wondering if they were any good...

http://survivormall.com/masksandsuits.aspx

Last edited:
There's a guy who does the gun show circuit. I don't know how far he is from you but his store has pretty much everything.

Metro West Surplus Army Navy
(508) 835-0939

201 W Boylston St
West Boylston, MA 01583

precisely. If you are expecting a gas attack, you will need a carbon filter. If you are expecting a dirty bomb, you need a fine particle filter rated for nuclear. If you are expecting an anthrax attack, you will need a p100 hepa particle filter.

I wouldn't recommend them unless I used them and had no problems. And if I was bored, I'd find some good links to them, too. Everybody has an opinion. But do what you want, and good luck.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382371

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44020

Last edited:
I think a gas mask is about as useful as duct tape and plastic sheeting.
As a previous poster said, once you find out, it is too late anyways.

But a respirator probably would be a better investment with hepa filters in it. That would be used for fine dust etc in a 9/11 type scenario.

Although call me crazy, but every family in israel has gas masks, but they are under constant threat.

If you need your gas mask, the govt has already gassed you, you may be headed to a "camp", and if you run you will just be shot. Movie Outbreak is a good example. (yes it's hollywood but lately life has been imitating art)

I think a gas mask is about as useful as duct tape and plastic sheeting.
As a previous poster said, once you find out, it is too late anyways.

But a respirator probably would be a better investment with hepa filters in it. That would be used for fine dust etc in a 9/11 type scenario.

Although call me crazy, but every family in israel has gas masks, but they are under constant threat.//)
I'd think a nerve agent attack is far more likely, and the mask is not going to help you much there.

If it's any consolation you're far more likely to die of heart disease, anyway....

Gas attacks are hard to do, and hard to disperse properly. It will be confined to a single building or a small area (bus, train), and you are just by luck you are going to not have any gear on you if you are there. On the other hand, a dirty bomb or nuclear leak from a reactor is a more likely scenario. THe radioactive plume will travel a long distance if there is wind, and while you are bugging out, you are going to want a P100 particle mask. After you get out of the area of dange...then you can change your clothes and ditch the possibly contaminated car.

here is one that is combination dust/fume:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G60921/3M-P100-Filter-Cartridges-Pesticide-Organic-Vapor-One-Pair

Not mil spec, but cheap enough.

and, depending on the scenario you're expecting, you may need two more and some buddies, plus decontamination equipment.
my experience with emergency nbc equipment is that it tends to be a feel-good measure with little practical value. ymmv, of course, as i am hardly an expert.

What ever you decide to get, make sure it fits right and doesn't leak. A mask that is too tight on your face will bug you after prolonged wearing and a loose one can kill you if it leaks.

stating the obvious... the mask alone is usless btw.

you need the boots, gloves and chemical protective overgarments to be more effective against an NBC attack... plus, the proper sequence to effictivly decontaminate the exposed skin using charcoal.... even with a full MOPP suit, it's only good for up 24hrs (or is it 36) or so before you have to change out.....

stating the obvious... the mask alone is usless btw.

you need the boots, gloves and chemical protective overgarments to be more effective against an NBC attack... plus, the proper sequence to effictivly decontaminate the exposed skin using charcoal.... even with a full MOPP suit, it's only good for up 24hrs (or is it 36) or so before you have to change out.....

what if i double bag myself?

I know that in times of civil unrest the govt has, in at least on case, issued an emergency order banning possessing them in public (Seattle, 2000).

[laugh2] thats a fairly accurate account....

drop helmet, fumble around with the promask "face plate" your supposed to remove in the rear, dawn mask, fumble with the straps you should have adjusted in the rear, realize the hood is on inside out, put on your gloves before putting on your pants and boots, remove gloves, put pants on, top and boots, fumble with your gloves now that they are all sweaty [rofl] all in 8 minutes or less [laugh]

True story.
A friend of mine was a sergeant in the Air Force back in the 80's.
They was a guy there who was a real dick that nobody liked.
My friend took a dead minnow, stuck it in the filter of this guys gas mask, then put it back in the box with the protective covers installed. A few months later when they did a poison gas drill, this guy put on his gas mask, took one breath and proceeded to blow chunks.
[laugh2]

True story.
A friend of mine was a sergeant in the Air Force back in the 80's.
They was a guy there who was a real dick that nobody liked.
My friend took a dead minnow, stuck it in the filter of this guys gas mask, then put it back in the box with the protective covers installed. A few months later when they did a poison gas drill, this guy put on his gas mask, took one breath and proceeded to blow chunks.
[laugh2]

Now this is just too damn funny [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom