Garand rear sight knobs not moving independently

I'm on my 4x firing of this lot of Brass for my Garand. Most of it stopped growing...and some seems to be shrinking?. A mix of LC69 & 72. I can still find a few long ones and set the FL die accordingly. At this point the FL die is just straightening out the sides of the case, it's not pushing the shoulder back.

Noticed that with mine. Went through 2 batches of HXP and 1 batch of Lapua brass to resize and reload later today. Pretty much all of those I sampled dropped right into the case gauge and those that did not had a dinged rim.

CMP contacted me today to say they are mailing me a return label for the rear sight parts. They suspect it's blasting media from the reparking process.They said they will repair or replace the sights ASAP.

I feel a little bad since I haven't even taken the sights apart yet. I figured I wouldn't hear from them since it was a week ago I emailed them.
I was planning on taking them apart tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I'll do that while the label comes and see if I can fix it first.

Kudos to CMP again though for working to make things right.

I'll drop a "lock bar sights, please" sticky in the return box :)

CMP contacted me today to say they are mailing me a return label for the rear sight parts. They suspect it's blasting media from the reparking process.They said they will repair or replace the sights ASAP.

I feel a little bad since I haven't even taken the sights apart yet. I figured I wouldn't hear from them since it was a week ago I emailed them.
I was planning on taking them apart tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I'll do that while the label comes and see if I can fix it first.

Kudos to CMP again though for working to make things right.

I'll drop a "lock bar sights, please" sticky in the return box :)

you dont want lock bar for target shooting....
CMP does well by customer service. I have had cmp send me replacement parts and you just return the old parts in the box they send you.
So far 100% support from cmp for me.

you dont want lock bar for target shooting....
CMP does well by customer service. I have had cmp send me replacement parts and you just return the old parts in the box they send you.
So far 100% support from cmp for me.
Just joking. I know, I've heard they can be a PITA. I just know they're WW2 nostalgia. If for whatever reason I obtained a set they'd probably go on the SG and the SG's sights would be swapped to the special.

But it's so unlikely it's not hardly thinking about.

According to the email signature, it was the "Lead Armorer" who replied. I don't know if they have more than one. I'll be curious what "ASAP" means to CMP, since I know they aren't always the speediest.

I have the original set on my Winchester; they are a PITA. But fun to have. Not too much of a hassle as I only shoot 100 or 200.

T

Just joking. I know, I've heard they can be a PITA. I just know they're WW2 nostalgia. If for whatever reason I obtained a set they'd probably go on the SG and the SG's sights would be swapped to the special.

But it's so unlikely it's not hardly thinking about.

According to the email signature, it was the "Lead Armorer" who replied. I don't know if they have more than one. I'll be curious what "ASAP" means to CMP, since I know they aren't always the speediest.

turn around will be quicker than you think. you're probably referring to the speed they processed your orders, but remember how many tens of thousands of orders they receive every time sales open up these days. i bet you'll have your return envelope by the end of the week.

I managed to sneak home on lunch. Disassembly took about three minutes. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Once I loosened the sights I was able to max the elevation, but the two knobs still acted on each other.

Took some photos. Could take some more specific ones tonight.

If anyone with more seasoned eyes has suggestions, I am open to them. I will plan on cleaning all the pieces tonight and attempting reassembly to see if it helps.
base1.jpg knob.jpg ele1.jpg rec1.jpg rec2.jpg sightpost.jpg base2.jpg knob2.jpg

The last pic that pinion gear looks rough almost looks like either pits or sand in the park?
Hard to tell. I think the cmp probably knows of the problem and poor cleaning after sand blasting and then parking is just asking for problems
CMP sends out the park work so they don't have control over this stuff...although you would think after assembly they would at least run the sight up and down and a left and right....
Get the new parts and see what happens
I would take down your SG sight set and compare the two side by side.

I sprayed each part with some ballistol and gave it a thorough go-over with a nylon brush. I'll do the relevant receiver areas in the morning and attempt reassembly.

If it's loose debris or an anomaly this might fix it, but I'm guessing it was a shoddy park job that will require new parts.

I can't put to words on how the sight works. Assemble it loosely out side of the receiver and you can get a idea of how it works and then might see how they can both turn together. Then maybe the fault might stand out.

I can't put to words on how the sight works. Assemble it loosely out side of the receiver and you can get a idea of how it works and then might see how they can both turn together. Then maybe the fault might stand out.
Gonna need a replacement. It was easy to put it back together. With it loose, the elevation knob will go all the way up now. However, it's nearly a 1 to 1 rotation with the elevation knob. It's as if I have two elevation knobs, basically. The windage knob will work to raise it but doesn't seem to affect lowering the aperture.

At least I have the process down and know I can do it, whenever the return bag comes. Wish they shipped the return bag with a sight so I didn't have to wait.

Gonna need a replacement. It was easy to put it back together. With it loose, the elevation knob will go all the way up now. However, it's nearly a 1 to 1 rotation with the elevation knob. It's as if I have two elevation knobs, basically. The windage knob will work to raise it but doesn't seem to affect lowering the aperture.

At least I have the process down and know I can do it, whenever the return bag comes. Wish they shipped the return bag with a sight so I didn't have to wait.

they just might..... i have had it go both ways.

Out of curiosity, it's not possible that it's too loose, is it? Like maybe spring tension should prevent the rotation of both knobs, and it hasn't been tight enough to restrict rotation? I wouldn't think so, but maybe

Glancing through CMP forums it looks like rear sight issues upon receipt of a rifle are fairly common; haven't seen any threads with my specific problem though.

My fear is that it's somehow the receiver. Not sure how I'd go about fixing that. I suppose to try to rule it out I could swap the SG's sight over, but I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.

Working on M1s is fun. The silver lining on problems like this is that it helps breed familiarity and better understanding of how it all works. Even though these sights are giving me trouble, I would say that M1's sights are the best irons I've used on any rifle. My experience is mainly with Eastern Bloc rifles though!

The peep and the winged sights work well together. I'm we're in that I am also very comfortable with the original M03 sights when most people hate them.

T

Out of curiosity, it's not possible that it's too loose, is it? Like maybe spring tension should prevent the rotation of both knobs, and it hasn't been tight enough to restrict rotation? I wouldn't think so, but maybe

Glancing through CMP forums it looks like rear sight issues upon receipt of a rifle are fairly common; haven't seen any threads with my specific problem though.

My fear is that it's somehow the receiver. Not sure how I'd go about fixing that. I suppose to try to rule it out I could swap the SG's sight over, but I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.

Working on M1s is fun. The silver lining on problems like this is that it helps breed familiarity and better understanding of how it all works. Even though these sights are giving me trouble, I would say that M1's sights are the best irons I've used on any rifle. My experience is mainly with Eastern Bloc rifles though!

the m1 in istself is a very basic robust design. JCG started working on the basic m1 in 1924 and by the end designed the rifle the tooling machines and factory lay out.
the rear sight is simple and easy to use and work on BUT its also easy to install it not so correctly. The left screw should be very tight the right screw is the "tension" side. you tighten that up then back of on click or 2 and it should be ok...
The key when putting it back together is having the parts ligned up

the m1 in istself is a very basic robust design. JCG started working on the basic m1 in 1924 and by the end designed the rifle the tooling machines and factory lay out.
the rear sight is simple and easy to use and work on BUT its also easy to install it not so correctly. The left screw should be very tight the right screw is the "tension" side. you tighten that up then back of on click or 2 and it should be ok...
The key when putting it back together is having the parts ligned up
I think I will meddle with it a bit tonight. I did try my best to pair the flat side of each piece together when treading the screw on the windage knob.

I think I will meddle with it a bit tonight. I did try my best to pair the flat side of each piece together when treading the screw on the windage knob.

If I had a better video camera and some patience would do a little rear sight video. My work dungeon is dark and crowded .....

My CMP Special was shipped to me with the rear sight not properly tightened. It worked just fine until guess when- my first match with it. LOL I must have looked like a complete train wreck as a shooter when my shots started peppering the berm.

Good luck- hope you figure it out.

My CMP Special was shipped to me with the rear sight not properly tightened. It worked just fine until guess when- my first match with it. LOL I must have looked like a complete train wreck as a shooter when my shots started peppering the berm.

Good luck- hope you figure it out.

Seems like the only time a M1 malfunctions is shooting for score.
My great uncle praised the M1 and the 1911 said it was the only thing other than a knife that could run lubed with blood and sand.

Went ahead and tightened the screw on the windage knob a few more clicks. Didn't help. Elevation works all the way up and down, windage will move the elevation knob down, but won't do anything for windage itself.

No sign or word on the return label for the sights, but I will be sending the parts back as soon as it arrives.

turn around will be quicker than you think. you're probably referring to the speed they processed your orders, but remember how many tens of thousands of orders they receive every time sales open up these days. i bet you'll have your return envelope by the end of the week.
Dakar wins. Label arrived on lunch. I've boxed up the sights and should make the 6:30 PM pickup at the dropbox. Friday, though, so it'll get to them on Monday for overnight. A much cheaper way to experience the CMP anticipating game than buying another rifle...

Dakar wins. Label arrived on lunch. I've boxed up the sights and should make the 6:30 PM pickup at the dropbox. Friday, though, so it'll get to them on Monday for overnight. A much cheaper way to experience the CMP anticipating game than buying another rifle...

Needing parts is a very good excuse for another rifle.

Getting ready for a second attempt at a "first trip" in an hour or two.

New rear sight installed on the FG special and appears to be functioning correctly. Going to start eight clicks up and go from there.
Got 7 en blocs of HXP ready, plus going to bring 16 handloads of 45gr Varget under 168 bullet to verify functionality since I was thinking of using that combo for the match.

Ron Brown sling to test out and ready to verify that my SLED works as well. I have heard of the "cross cartridge" method for 2 rounds for the rapids, but have never tried it. Will need to either figure it out or get a 2rd clip I guess.

Busy morning, also surveyed my brass and found 16 30-06 cases primed and ready that I had forgotten about, as well as two more bags of .223 and a bag of .308 I had misplaced in all my clutter. Painted the front sight of my MKIII as well. Tomorrow will probably be more prone practice and also trying the SKS with a websling to see how it goes. Will use Wolf Milspec for that since I have had better luck with it than with Golden Tiger.

you can also just drop a regular clip into the magazine and lift up and install the 2 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac does the 2 crossed cartridges in the 8 round enbloc, but I think he just does that to intimidate me. I think I have and extra 2 rounder that you may borrow for the match if you don't already have one.

FYI, it's a good idea to tumble your new enblocs in media to smooth out any heavy parkirizing.

Great weather, and had the range all to myself. Started eight clicks up and was slightly low, so went two more to 10, and was on the plates. Finished the clip on the plates from the bench and hit each of the remaining rounds.

Ran a target out and shot an en bloc at the target. For my (low) skill level, I would say it is OK grouping-wise. Two pairs of decently close, two in the ballpark, and two outliers at the bottom left.

20170601_150017.jpg

Then, got slung up and ran another target out, different style. Shot three en blocs at it. I know in hindsight that I went way too fast.
On the plus side, it looks relatively consistent windage-wise. On the con side I obviously have a very large spread. I certainly should have slowed down and been more patient.

20170601_153802.jpg

Then I shot the 16 rounds of 45gr Varget under 168gr bullet from prone. I don't know if I was fatigued or this was a really bad combo, but some didn't even make the paper. I'm guessing it's hotter than HXP and maybe since I sighted in on HXP it accounted for the difference. On the plus side it was powerful enough to reliably cycle the stout spring of the field grade; my 40gr of IMR4895 did not cycle the action on the FG special but was fine on the service grade.

I found 20 extra cases of 30-06 in the bucket, too.

Tomorrow I'll try some more and also work on the SKS. Not sure what to try loading since the IMR4985 was close to HXP but low (since it was only 40gr, at least in the SG) but the Varget loads did not work well on the admittedly small sample.

Then, got slung up and ran another target out, different style. Shot three en blocs at it. I know in hindsight that I went way too fast.
On the plus side, it looks relatively consistent windage-wise. On the con side I obviously have a very large spread. I certainly should have slowed down and been more patient.

Progress! Friendly suggestion would be to sight in using slow fire / single rounds. It will help pace you. Unless I am function checking the rifle, practicing a rapid, or plinking - it's all single fire.

Progress! Friendly suggestion would be to sight in using slow fire / single rounds. It will help pace you. Unless I am function checking the rifle, practicing a rapid, or plinking - it's all single fire.
I think this is a good suggestion. I switched over to the SLED with the Varget rounds not only to verify that it worked but also since I always do single fire with new loads. It definitely helped to make me take more time.

I also neglected to do any off hand practice. Not that running a few en blocs offhand 10 days before the match will make a big difference. Will try it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom