Garand rear sight knobs not moving independently

I think this is a good suggestion. I switched over to the SLED with the Varget rounds not only to verify that it worked but also since I always do single fire with new loads. It definitely helped to make me take more time.

I also neglected to do any off hand practice. Not that running a few en blocs offhand 10 days before the match will make a big difference. Will try it tomorrow.

Don't wast good bullets on off hand practice. HXP makes good off hand fodder.

I can only tell you what works for me.
When I go to the range it's very "dedicated"
If I'm looking to see how a load works I bring either the lead sled or from and rear bags and shoot supported to see how the rifle and load work together.
If I'm working on "shooting" I will shoot as needed.
Ex: If I bring out the M1 or AR I will shoot as if I was in a match. This is also where I get my zero's.
All my rifles are based of a 100 yard no wind zero shooting prone with sling although will shoot with my front arm on a sand bag.
I will only repeat what I should have listened to many years ago. Do not get to hung up on load "development" let some one with know skills shoot your rifle with HXP. Get a good base line.
Same with your reloads. Don't waste to much time with loads. I think 40 grains is a bit light BUT I do have good results with light loads with both cast and FMJHP match.
Keep at it. As for rushing shots....very easy to do.
Last match I had a failure to feed and panicked a bit. I still found myself finishing early.
Breath....deep breath between each shot. Don't hold your breath just pause.
Natural point of aim is a key thing to work on also.

HXP will definitely be hotter than your Varget load. Actually, at 45gr you are slightly light. 46-48gr would probably be better.

I have been checking out .30-06 loads through my 1903 via chronograph. HXP ~2830 fps, vs. Varget 47.5gr at 2550 fps. The Varget shot a 1 MOA group at 100 yards. Don't give up on the Varget quite yet.

HXP will definitely be hotter than your Varget load. Actually, at 45gr you are slightly light. 46-48gr would probably be better.

I have been checking out .30-06 loads through my 1903 via chronograph. HXP ~2830 fps, vs. Varget 47.5gr at 2550 fps. The Varget shot a 1 MOA group at 100 yards. Don't give up on the Varget quite yet.

I love Varget in the M1. 45.5 grains with a 155 or 168 does just fine by my rifles and skill set.
Also remember M2 ball 30cal is HOT by current load data. I sent Mountain a link to US small arms specs. M2 was loaded with IMR 4895 @ 50 grains or so to achieve the velocity needed 75' from the muzzle.
You don't really need super stout loads especially if shooting CMP Games which is only 200yards.
I shoot a 165 grain cast load that's just 1600fps and they find the 10 ring at 200 yards just fine.

Oh, since you shot Varget last, check for things loosening up- GC plug, sights, etc. Might not be the load.

Oh, since you shot Varget last, check for things loosening up- GC plug, sights, etc. Might not be the load.

Also sometimes your barrel needs to season up to the new bullet/powder profile. I was going nuts wondering why a load that was so good one week fell apart in future outings.. then some one asked if I used different bullets at some point between outings. I later proved it out by shooting some 80 grain match loads from some clean barrel (scope) and getting nice solid groups at 200. Just a touch over MOA. Then shot 20 of 69s and was getting 2-3moa. Then shot 10 rounds of 80 if I got 5 moa thAt was good. Cleaned the barrel shot a few fouling shots of the 80s and then right back to tight little groups.
I say for now stick with HXP and practice fundamentals

Don't wast good bullets on off hand practice. HXP makes good off hand fodder.

I can only tell you what works for me.
When I go to the range it's very "dedicated"
If I'm looking to see how a load works I bring either the lead sled or from and rear bags and shoot supported to see how the rifle and load work together.
If I'm working on "shooting" I will shoot as needed.
Ex: If I bring out the M1 or AR I will shoot as if I was in a match. This is also where I get my zero's.
All my rifles are based of a 100 yard no wind zero shooting prone with sling although will shoot with my front arm on a sand bag.
I will only repeat what I should have listened to many years ago. Do not get to hung up on load "development" let some one with know skills shoot your rifle with HXP. Get a good base line.
Same with your reloads. Don't waste to much time with loads. I think 40 grains is a bit light BUT I do have good results with light loads with both cast and FMJHP match.
Keep at it. As for rushing shots....very easy to do.
Last match I had a failure to feed and panicked a bit. I still found myself finishing early.
Breath....deep breath between each shot. Don't hold your breath just pause.
Natural point of aim is a key thing to work on also.
Yes at this point I was just trying to find an HXP clone in terms of performance as a baseline. Figured I'd pick a load that works and stick with it. The 40gr of IMR4895 was definitely underpowered but seemed consistent. The 45 gr of Varget did not pan out well on the target but small sample size and could be related to any of the factors mentioned below.

This is very interesting, for some reason I did not realize HXP was hot. Like I've said the 40gr IMR4895 wouldn't cycle the new spring, but the 45gr Varget had no problems.
I love Varget in the M1. 45.5 grains with a 155 or 168 does just fine by my rifles and skill set.
Also remember M2 ball 30cal is HOT by current load data. I sent Mountain a link to US small arms specs. M2 was loaded with IMR 4895 @ 50 grains or so to achieve the velocity needed 75' from the muzzle.
You don't really need super stout loads especially if shooting CMP Games which is only 200yards.
I shoot a 165 grain cast load that's just 1600fps and they find the 10 ring at 200 yards just fine.
It's interesting, I think 47-48gr or so for most powders is considered max load in my Hornady manual for 168gr bullets.
Also sometimes your barrel needs to season up to the new bullet/powder profile. I was going nuts wondering why a load that was so good one week fell apart in future outings.. then some one asked if I used different bullets at some point between outings. I later proved it out by shooting some 80 grain match loads from some clean barrel (scope) and getting nice solid groups at 200. Just a touch over MOA. Then shot 20 of 69s and was getting 2-3moa. Then shot 10 rounds of 80 if I got 5 moa thAt was good. Cleaned the barrel shot a few fouling shots of the 80s and then right back to tight little groups.
I say for now stick with HXP and practice fundamentals
This is good to know. HXP is all it had known up to the Varget rounds. It's still under 100 rds. through the barrel.

Will try some more tomorrow.

Yes at this point I was just trying to find an HXP clone in terms of performance as a baseline. Figured I'd pick a load that works and stick with it. The 40gr of IMR4895 was definitely underpowered but seemed consistent. The 45 gr of Varget did not pan out well on the target but small sample size and could be related to any of the factors mentioned below.

This is very interesting, for some reason I did not realize HXP was hot. Like I've said the 40gr IMR4895 wouldn't cycle the new spring, but the 45gr Varget had no problems.

It's interesting, I think 47-48gr or so for most powders is considered max load in my Hornady manual for 168gr bullets.
This is good to know. HXP is all it had known up to the Varget rounds. It's still under 100 rds. through the barrel.

Will try some more tomorrow.

Clean the barrel and start fresh.

Clean the barrel and start fresh.
I'll have to come up with an HXP analog or other suitable round eventually as I have a finite HXP supply.

Maybe give the barrel a nice cleaning and start off with the 168s? Or I could go back to HXP.

I'm also going to have to fiddle with my SLED or try making one. I used a commercial one from Orion7 yesterday and it will only feed on the left side of the follower which I believe is incorrect and I have read that can cause negative effects on the cartridge. Seems unlikely that this was my sole problem, (only the Varget rounds used the SLED yesterday) but it's something to be aware of. The SLED I used in October allowed loading on the right with no problem. Apparently this defect is not entirely uncommon.

Finally went to install the websling on the SKS and it won't fit [smile]
Had a feeling the swivels were too small.

Finally went to install the websling on the SKS and it won't fit [smile]
Had a feeling the swivels were too small.

I purchased a sling hook for the usgi sling and ground it down to fit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to come up with an HXP analog or other suitable round eventually as I have a finite HXP supply.

Maybe give the barrel a nice cleaning and start off with the 168s? Or I could go back to HXP.

I'm also going to have to fiddle with my SLED or try making one. I used a commercial one from Orion7 yesterday and it will only feed on the left side of the follower which I believe is incorrect and I have read that can cause negative effects on the cartridge. Seems unlikely that this was my sole problem, (only the Varget rounds used the SLED yesterday) but it's something to be aware of. The SLED I used in October allowed loading on the right with no problem. Apparently this defect is not entirely uncommon.

just spread the SLED apart more on the right side. they take a little tweaking.

Got right into slinging up and shooting prone. 25 shots of HXP with the SLED. I've found if I use both hands I can get the round in on the right side. I'll just try to bend it a little and test with an empty cartridge.

To me it seems slightly better than yesterday's target although maybe I am seeing what I want to see. Still feel like I'm going too quickly but maybe I need to either build up those prone muscles or something since I think it sometimes encourages me to rush a bit.
m1-2.jpg

Seems like more horizontal spread today than yesterday although there was a decent wind at times that blew corners of target and the wooden gate for the prone station. Two "bullseyes" today for what little it's worth.

Believe it or not, someone swooped in and took the prone station while I was switching the M1 for the SKS. The mat I had put down was there and everything, they moved it. So I was relegated to bench shooting and offhand with the SKS. Did not need to hold nearly as low as I recalled from the last time I shot it in early April.

Got right into slinging up and shooting prone. 25 shots of HXP with the SLED. I've found if I use both hands I can get the round in on the right side. I'll just try to bend it a little and test with an empty cartridge.

To me it seems slightly better than yesterday's target although maybe I am seeing what I want to see. Still feel like I'm going too quickly but maybe I need to either build up those prone muscles or something since I think it sometimes encourages me to rush a bit.
View attachment 199502

Seems like more horizontal spread today than yesterday although there was a decent wind at times that blew corners of target and the wooden gate for the prone station. Two "bullseyes" today for what little it's worth.

Believe it or not, someone swooped in and took the prone station while I was switching the M1 for the SKS. The mat I had put down was there and everything, they moved it. So I was relegated to bench shooting and offhand with the SKS. Did not need to hold nearly as low as I recalled from the last time I shot it in early April.

Tossing someone's gear aside is just BS.
Ok so I am not a coach but honestly what I see is something I went through myself.
Sight picture, breathing , front sight focus and trigger control.
Print out some SR1 targets shoot HXP until you keep them in the black. Aside from a flyer HXP and a CMP special with new barrel should hold the black.
Google US army marksmanship training and although it's a lot of info read through the manuals.
Lots of good basic info in them.

Also plenty of worth while reading here

http://thecmp.us/Competitions/USAMU/ShootingTips.htm

And this

https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

Last edited:
Tossing someone's gear aside is just BS.
Ok so I am not a coach but honestly what I see is something I went through myself.
Sight picture, breathing , front sight focus and trigger control.
Print out some SR1 targets shoot HXP until you keep them in the black. Aside from a flyer HXP and a CMP special with new barrel should hold the black.
Google US army marksmanship training and although it's a lot of info read through the manuals.
Lots of good basic info in them.

Also plenty of worth while reading here

http://thecmp.us/Competitions/USAMU/ShootingTips.htm

And this

https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
I'll probably run out of HXP by then, but I might as well try. Still need to slow down more.

I wonder if the fact that I use my weak eye has anything to do with it. I shoot pistols with my right eye and rifles with my (non-dominant) left eye. I tried shooting right handed and it was very tough, which is perhaps not surprising.

I also notice I shoot better in the morning, don't know if it's lighting, eyes, or both.

I'll probably run out of HXP by then, but I might as well try. Still need to slow down more.

I wonder if the fact that I use my weak eye has anything to do with it. I shoot pistols with my right eye and rifles with my (non-dominant) left eye. I tried shooting right handed and it was very tough, which is perhaps not surprising.

I also notice I shoot better in the morning, don't know if it's lighting, eyes, or both.

Weak eye as in what? Non dominate eye?
If you think your having eye problems cover your non aiming eye with some scotch tape. Then shoot with both eyes open. The taped lens will keep your eye from seeing anything and also lesson fatigue when closing the non aiming eye...
As for better sight in the AM. Rested eyes will always be better along with hydration.
There are many things that keep shots from grouping. Even a slight change in head position on the stock will change point of impact.
I would try putting a 3/8 dot about 15-20' away and really focus on a sight picture.
We had a ret USMC small arms instructor yell at us one day " IDGAF if you use the Left sight wing as a aiming device just do it every time"

Also another quote from Franco of old colony.
After shooting for several months over at Pembroke Franco said to me ." You shoot pretty good sometimes you need to get your sights checked" I went home and looked over my sights and could not find anything that would make me think they where not doing what they should.
The next match I said to Franco, as I pointed at my rifle "I can't find anything wrong with my sights"
Franco says "No not the F'n rifle your F'n sights" as he pointed at my eyes. 2 weeks later I had my Rx for shooting and my average jumped 20 points .

There are so many little things that add up to shooting better. I identifying what's working and what's not is the key.
I'm fortunate enough to have a High Master shooter at another club who will prove out a rifle or load for me. If he can sling up go prone and put a tight cluster on target with my gun and ammo I know I'm doing something wrong. I shoot different rifles almost every trip out which does not help me all that much. I could probably add 10-12 points to my average if I stuck to one gun for the season.

Last edited:
My groups definitely open up when the lighting is bad, which is pretty much any afternoon at my home club. 100 yard targets are lit OK in the morning but are buried in the trees and get dark in the afternoon. On a dark, cloudy day forget it...

Rested eyes are better too. I will be overseas this week and come back late Saturday. Probably my eyes will be screwed for the match on Sunday.

Do you know anyone with a highpower match rifle (iron sights) that you can borrow for a few shots? Most decent AR's for highpower will only shoot outside the 10-ring if the shooter puts the shots outside the 10-ring. That would be a way to determine how much of the variance is you. As Mac mentions, the other option is to have a known top shooter try your rifle and see what it does.

Looking at your target I'd say it's the shooter. Your shots are all around the center of the target, not just in any particular area to blame on much of anything. If you shot high, low, or a little of both there are things to say you need to work on. Since they are all around center it's more likely blamed on inexperience. If you are holding on target your body motion is naturally going to move in a circular pattern as you breathe in and out and sway a little. With practice you sway less and break the trigger in a more consistent position. You will also notice where your sights were when the trigger broke. That will tell you what is happening more than anything.

Looking at your target I'd say it's the shooter. Your shots are all around the center of the target, not just in any particular area to blame on much of anything. If you shot high, low, or a little of both there are things to say you need to work on. Since they are all around center it's more likely blamed on inexperience. If you are holding on target your body motion is naturally going to move in a circular pattern as you breathe in and out and sway a little. With practice you sway less and break the trigger in a more consistent position. You will also notice where your sights were when the trigger broke. That will tell you what is happening more than anything.

To add .... call your shots. Draw a circle on a piece of paper and after you take the shot mark where you think the shot went. If you can't see you holes with a spotting scope just compare your plotted called shots with the target for now.

Back
Top Bottom