Garand exploding in hands

look close at :16 sec mark she reaches with her left hand above the receiver then look at her left hand under the stock her pinky and ring finger are curled as if holding the cartridge, compare it to her grip on the 1st 6 shots. on shot seven there is no recoil.....she flinches theres no bang no puff from the muzzle. She pulls the trigger flinches....then things go wrong.

Wow you are observant.....that is exactly what happened.....she can be seen pulling the trigger with no significant recoil......pulls bolt to rear and clearly pulls out a carteridge with left hand and drops it to the ground (you can see it)......the rides the bolt forward and the the failure. I thind that carteridge she dropped was an empty one......there was a projo stuck in the barrel!

- - - Updated - - -

Garands were tested with proof charges until they blew up: Springfield Armory routinely tested overcharges to minimize the danger to soldiers. They were way over double the chamber pressure and usually blew out the bottom. This was different.
Like I said I'm no expert.....but then after re-watching after reading mac1911's video......I think there was squib in the barrel.

look close at :16 sec mark she reaches with her left hand above the receiver then look at her left hand under the stock her pinky and ring finger are curled as if holding the cartridge, compare it to her grip on the 1st 6 shots. on shot seven there is no recoil.....she flinches theres no bang no puff from the muzzle. She pulls the trigger flinches....then things go wrong.

Ok, I do see her fingers curled on the last shot as she was holding the cartridge.Now the question is was she holding a complete cartridge, or a casing and didn,t take the time to check if the barrel was clear.

I bet it was out of battery. Looks like she rode the bolt instead of letting it slam shut.

I don't. I bet squib with a nice live round popped off behind it. It's pretty hard to get a Garand to fire out of battery. I'm sure it's not impossible if the gun is messed up, but how likely is that? Not very.

-Mike

Garands were tested with proof charges until they blew up: Springfield Armory routinely tested overcharges to minimize the danger to soldiers. They were way over double the chamber pressure and usually blew out the bottom. This was different.

They did proof charge with High pressure rounds but I dont think they did al ot of testing on barrel obstruction , no need to bad things happen. We dont know the history of some of these guns. I dont know what JCG had in mind for serviceable round count for a garand before the receiver barrel would be no longer safe structurally .....One would think they would wear out under normal use before the receiver/barrel became to "brittle".

Lesson learned, when something doesnt sound/feel/look right stop and think. The two in the video appear to be shooting fast for the camera. The women in her rush to get the rounds off did not really know the malfunction.... Just like guys I see slamming the forward assist on the ARs at the range.....yeah stop and see whats wrong your not in combat.

I don't. I bet squib with a nice live round popped off behind it. It's pretty hard to get a Garand to fire out of battery. I'm sure it's not impossible if the gun is messed up, but how likely is that? Not very.

-Mike

I have never heard a single vet talk about a out of battery experience with the M1, or even a garand thumb when loading. Most got garand thumb while cleaning. I have seen 1 slam fire but it was not a out of battery discharge. The gun went off as the bolt closed. No reasr ward gasing shot went off as usual. Guy left and came back few weekends later and said he FU the sear trying to lighten the trigger pull...

I have never heard a single vet talk about a out of battery experience with the M1, or even a garand thumb when loading. Most got garand thumb while cleaning. I have seen 1 slam fire but it was not a out of battery discharge. The gun went off as the bolt closed. No reasr ward gasing shot went off as usual. Guy left and came back few weekends later and said he FU the sear trying to lighten the trigger pull...

I have only ever seen a cook-off in a Garand on a 95 degree day after about 100 rounds at a CMP match (guy lent his rifle to another competitor back to back). However, the round was chambered before it cooked. That is the only time I have seen an M1 do anything half dangerous (other than shoot). It has to be the ammo.

I've nailed my thumb twice with my m1......both times were while cleaning it.

I've nailed my thumb twice with my m1......both times were while cleaning it.

I've never done it, but then I've never owned one. I've shot one at the Pumkin Blast 2 years ago, and I fixed (as in replaced a few parts and cleaned up) two of them for the American Legion. I made sure I knew exactly how to avoid the thumb damage before tearing into them. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom