• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G43 vs. Sheild vs. PPS Shootout

Mountain

NES Member
Had a great day at the range yesterday with a good friend. I selected a few things I thought would be fun for him to shoot: 1944 Springfield M1 Garand, self built .458 SOCOM AR, a self built 6.5 Creedmoor AR I just finished and registered Friday night, a G34, and my Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I pocket carry my new G43, so that came along for the ride. I was pleasantly surprised that his stash included a M&P Shield and a Walther gen 1 PPS. Time for the impromptu 9mm single stack comparison!

These pistols have been compared ad nauseam, so I'll skip details and just give my summary in order of personal preference. Comparison via blowing through many boxes of 9mm at 15 yards with either Winchester or Remington ammo:

Visual appeal:--------1) Shield, 2) PPS, 3) G43
Ergonomics:----------1) Shield, 2) PPS, 3) G43
Weight:--------------1) G43, 2) PPS and Shield tied for 2nd
Controls / operating:--1) G43, 2) Shield, 3) PPS (goofy mag release...)
Trigger:--------------1) Shield*, 2) PPS & G43** tied for 2nd
Recoil management:--1) PPS, 2) Shield, 3) G43
Accuracy:-----------1) PPS, 2) G43, 3) Shield
Reliability:-----------1) G43 and Shield tied for 1st, 10) PPS
Concealment:--------1) G43, 3) Shield, 4) PPS
Value (as tested)----1) Shield, 2) PPS, 3) G43

Yes, I played with the ranking a bit to make a point or two. [smile]

*Shield had the Apex trigger
**G43 stock trigger group polished by me

What impressed me the most:

-The Walther PPS had laser-like accuracy for me. My friend was giving me crap about missing the target until the hole at dead center began to open up after continued shooting. Insanely accurate for me.

-The Shield with the Apex trigger by far had the best trigger. Others have said this and I'll repeat: Always get an Apex trigger for any M&P. Stock PPS trigger was similar to the G43, but I have polished the G43. I like my Glocks, but the stock triggers are so-so to crap. If all three were stock, the PPS would have had the best trigger.

-Though on paper the numbers are not hugely different, the G43 is by far the best for concealment. Thinner, lighter, more compact, smoother profile. It gives up 1 round capacity vs. the other two, but I don't care. I bought mine for summer pocket carry and it fits that purpose much better than the PPS and Shield. All are OK, but the G43 stands out IMHO...

Overall surprise of the day was how much I liked the M&P Shield. I have been jonesing for a PPS M2 and might have bought one instead of the G43 if I could have sourced one in Mass. Glocks are easy if you know the secret handshake [rofl]. Now I want the Shield with the Apex trigger of course. I like it that much. Wish the accuracy was a little better, but it was adequate at 15 yards and would be more than enough for 7 yard self defense purposes.

The PPS had some light primer strikes and the only failures of the day. Walthers aren't known for reliability issues & I don't yet know the cause of the issue. My G34 gave me fits before break-in and custom trigger job, though the G43 has been 100% reliable.

My personal summary? Any one of these would make a great 9mm single-stack CCW. I don't see any particular reason to avoid any of them, unless the lever-type mag release on the Walther bugs you. The M2 fixes that. Mrs. Mountain needs a CCW in this category, and I hope she prefers the Shield or perhaps the PPS M2 once available in the PRM. That way I'll only have to buy one of the other two I don't already have.[smile] edit- Glocks are homely, so my money is on the Shield or PPS.

Last edited:
Thanks for all you're input. If you get a chance to shoot a PPS M2 I think you will like it very much. Mine was very accurate and I shot it better than my carry guns on the 1st day owning it but sold it off as my wife still liked our Shield (A proven Great carry gun) better. My free state shield trigger feels the same as the M2 but sights on the PPS were better (since then I put TFO's on shield). The 43 is ok but really not special to me, I do love my Glocks but didn't seem the need for 2 43's in the house so sold them off and maybe will grab another one day but for now in my summer Carry rotation is the XDS, Shield and G26 and I'm happy with them.

No real comparison between the PPS and a PPS M2. Fooled around with a PPS in .40 and the M2 in 9mm , the M2 is much better gun. The M2 ran 100% on 100 rds Winchester steel cased ammo and was very accurate . Hopefully it will show up on the "list " soon , if the dont mess up the trigger too much it will be a great carry gun.

No real comparison between the PPS and a PPS M2. Fooled around with a PPS in .40 and the M2 in 9mm , the M2 is much better gun. The M2 ran 100% on 100 rds Winchester steel cased ammo and was very accurate . Hopefully it will show up on the "list " soon , if the dont mess up the trigger too much it will be a great carry gun.

Hopefully the Massified M2 trigger will be easily reversible. Nice to hear good feedback regarding the M2. If the gen 1 PPS were a little more compact (no rail, maybe a little lighter) I would have been tempted, paddle release and all. I really like the PPQ- IMHO best looking polymer frame pistol in its class, and the M2 looks like a scaled down version of that.

These are all great options. We finally have a nice variety of single stack 9s that carry well.

I would toss the Ruger LC9s Pro into the group. I've shot the 43 and the PPS (though not the shield). I think the LC9s Pro might be the best value. Even if price is not an issue it's still a terrific single stack 9. The trigger is excellent, and the gun carries very well. It's been my go-to carry gun for a while now.

I find the 43 to be softer shooting compared to the shield. The shield is snappier. The glock feels top heavy if you will, but I like it.

Im comparing a free state shield factory trigger and stock glock 43 trigger. I dont care for the creep and take up of the shield trigger, glock feels more crisp and natural. Im a glock guy admittedly I try owing other pistols but always come back to the glocks.

I have a PPS classic (as it's called now) with about 6k rounds through it of every type including +p+
It is an awesome machine.
I'm surprised the M2 had LPS.
But, lemons happen
Walther CS has always been great from what I've been told
Happy Independence Day!
Brian

This is a great side by side comparison - I have been carrying the shield for a couple of years and now own the G43 and considering moving to that.
Plenty of rounds through the shield but need some more through the G43 before I make a switch. Needs to become all smooth muscle memory before it becomes an EDC.
I do really like the G43 so far, but am really comfortable with the shield - might be a tough decision - but not a bad decision to have!

I really want to shoot a g43. And can you tell me about this secret glock handshake?

Possibly you can rent a G43 at a school or store with a range. If you know a green member come to a NES shoot as a guest, or better yet go green and get thyself to Monadnock for a shoot. I guarantee that a G43 will be low on the list of cool things to shoot.

I'll probably get the ban hammer for disclosing the MA secret Glock handshake, but you can find it at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legend

[smile]

These are all great options. We finally have a nice variety of single stack 9s that carry well.

I would toss the Ruger LC9s Pro into the group. I've shot the 43 and the PPS (though not the shield). I think the LC9s Pro might be the best value. Even if price is not an issue it's still a terrific single stack 9. The trigger is excellent, and the gun carries very well. It's been my go-to carry gun for a while now.

Have you actually shot a LC9 S Pro?

I'm curious. I shot an older standard LC9 and other than the trigger (which the S version seems to fix) the thing I remember not liking was the recoil. It was much more than the gun I had for comparison, my Kahr P9. Not that it hurt or anything. But it was slower shot to shot because of the muzzle flip.

I'd be curious to know if SR has sorted that out better with the S-Pro update. If so, it would be one heck of a value. Especially since the trigger is supposed to be the best out of the box trigger of any small striker fired gun.

Don

I shot the lc9s pro, and while it felt great in the hand , the recoil was absurd, it felt like they intentionally stuck a lcp recoil spring in as it just wanted to jump out of your hand..

Have you actually shot a LC9 S Pro?

I'm curious. I shot an older standard LC9 and other than the trigger (which the S version seems to fix) the thing I remember not liking was the recoil. It was much more than the gun I had for comparison, my Kahr P9. Not that it hurt or anything. But it was slower shot to shot because of the muzzle flip.

I'd be curious to know if SR has sorted that out better with the S-Pro update. If so, it would be one heck of a value. Especially since the trigger is supposed to be the best out of the box trigger of any small striker fired gun.

Don

Yes, I have an LC9 S Pro and have a few hundred rounds through it so far. I also have an original LC9 (terrible trigger). The recoil on the newer striker fired gun is the same as far as I can tell. I don't find it any better or worse than a Glock 43 or Walther PPS. The Glock 26 is much better than all of them, but is a bigger gun too.

I feel in love with the shield, but want a 9c for the home since i have a summer carry already.

I really want to shoot a g43. And can you tell me about this secret glock handshake?

Where do you shoot on the northshore?

I have a few you can try if youd like.

I bought a Pearce +1 pinky extension base plate for the G43 to get that round back. I also bought 2 of the Strike Industries +2 base plates for range use. You get a better grip on the gun for sure but with carry ammo or +p rounds the +2 base plate just doesn't feel as solid. I was more or less playing around to see if I liked them and the Pearce +1 seems solid so far (40 or so rounds).

+1 base plate

+2: base plate

I bought a Pearce +1 pinky extension base plate for the G43 to get that round back. I also bought 2 of the Strike Industries +2 base plates for range use. You get a better grip on the gun for sure but with carry ammo or +p rounds the +2 base plate just doesn't feel as solid. I was more or less playing around to see if I liked them and the Pearce +1 seems solid so far (40 or so rounds).

+1 base plate

+2: base plate

I have a couple of the Pearce +1's and a couple of these Taran Tactical +2's
The Taran is a solid feeling +2 for the 43.
http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-for-glock-43/

Back
Top Bottom