• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

G19 preban mags?

Thats a nice concept in theory. But many of us, myself included, are too lazy to carry a spare mag.

Also, anyone who has spent any time actually shooting a glock knows that while it is not an ideal way to carry, it is reasonable considering the guns reliability.

Using factory ammo and a factory mag, I've never had a glock fail to fire, extract, eject and reload a round. Ever.
When i sold my Gen 3 G34, I had over 30,000 rounds through it.

The only time it has failed on anyone else shooting it was when they limp wristed it, causing a stoppage that is easily solved by simply cycling the slide by hand.

so laziness is what drives your "theory"? got it. [laugh2]

I have eight factory 33 round and three 17 round mags for my G17. I also have two 30 round metal mags that fit my Glock

Malodave

To a degree, yes.

When I carried an Officers ACP with a 5 or 6 round mag, I always carried spare mags. The gun also wasn't as reliable as I'd have liked it to be, so I felt the need for a spare mag.

With a very reliable gun, the G19 and 16 rounds of ammo, my personal risk/reward calculus has led me to not carry a spare mag. I'm lazy and I a wuss when it comes to heavy guns. If I try to force the issue, I end up reaching for a mouse gun. So laziness does drive it. I know human nature. I know a lot of people who can carry, don't. I also know that many new shooters end up buying a larger gun than they will carry. Most people need to "work up" to a G19 or a M&P compact.

Should I carry a spare mag? Yes.

Is it partly mitigated by the reliability of the gun and its capacity. Also, yes.

Life is about compromises. Ideally I'd be carrying a pre-ban AR15 handgun with 3 - 30 round pre-ban mags. But its too heavy and bulky.

So I compromise. So do all of us.

If you aren't taking into account the following items when picking a carry gun, then you should:
1) size/concealability
2) weight
3) caliber/power
4) (sum of above) recoil
5) capacity
6) reliability
7) ease of use

Lots of informative and helpful posts here. Thank you everyone.

never even really considered that future legislation could cripple my main reasoning (capacity)for paying the exorbitant mass glock tax. That's a great point. Although, as mentioned, civil disobedience is always and option...

If U-notches are your thing at least get the partially metal lined ones. The unlined ones are worthless and pure shit, and I wouldn't pay a dime for them.

I pretty much hate U-notches anyways and I sell every one I come across because I hate them, but at least if someone is going to get U's they should get the later revisions. Thankfully the unlined mags still floating around there are usually ****ed up and unsalveagable at this point and will work their way out of the channel.

-Mike

So, avoid unlined U notches? Any others to steer clear of? what type/kind of prebans should I be looking for? I know nothing, so feel free to school me.

There are two types of U notches, one with metal and one without.. The ones with the metal inside are fine and work . The super old plastic u notches without the metal are not a good idea.

Ideally the best to go for are square notched preban mags that are fully metal lined , more expensive though..

I have a few U notches and don't ever feel like they would not work. I did however buy new mag springs for them. I suggest you do the same. I actually like that the mag stays in the gun even if it gets accidentally mag released it won't just drop out and sits more flush than other mags. For my spare mag i carry i do have a square notch preban mag though.

Ok, so it's:

metal lined square notched > unlined square notched(do these exist?) > metal lined U notch > unlined U notched

Ok, so it's:

metal lined square notched > unlined square notched(do these exist?) > metal lined U notch > unlined U notched

No such thing as unlined square notch. The square notch is formed from the metal lining.

No such thing as unlined U notch. The notch is made from the metal lining. The original Glock mags shipped with the first Glocks were ALL plastic. Totally unlined. They had a little square notch - but it was plastic.

Is this calculus or something? I'm confused....

There are two types of U notches, one with metal and one without.. The ones with the metal inside are fine and work . The super old plastic u notches without the metal are not a good idea.

No such thing as unlined square notch. The square notch is formed from the metal lining.

No such thing as unlined U notch. The notch is made from the metal lining. The original Glock mags shipped with the first Glocks were ALL plastic. Totally unlined. They had a little square notch - but it was plastic.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...s/4944-ma-identifying-pre-ban-glock-mags.html

I can't speak to different types of U notch mags. I was always under the assumption they're all NFML, thus they swell and stay in your mag so you cannot accidentally drop a full mag (it's not a flaw, it was done by design).

ETA: There are really old mags that don't have metal feed lips.

G17mags-numbered.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom