G19 and brass to the face.

Ok, new to me G19, gen 3, got it LNIB, bone stock. Started loading for it, first load was 4.7gr Unique under a 124gr Speer TMJ. Nice light load and accurate, but barely cycles the pistol. If you even THINK about limp wristing or less than a rock solid grip, it turns into a single shot. Brass ejects cleanly at 3'oclock about 16in from my right foot.

Bumped it up a tad to 5.5gr Unique under a 115gr Speer TMJ, super acurate, had 2 FTE's out of 100, and brass often hit my right eye (wearing eye protection).

I'm left handed, so I suppose if I shot right handed it would fling past the side of my face.

Doing some searching, I came across some info about Glock changing the profile of the ejector pin. Mine is the original 336 pin. I read that the 30274 pin immediately fixes the problem and is a super cheap and easy fix.

Thoughts?

Ok, new to me G19, gen 3, got it LNIB, bone stock. Started loading for it, first load was 4.7gr Unique under a 124gr Speer TMJ. Nice light load and accurate, but barely cycles the pistol. If you even THINK about limp wristing or less than a rock solid grip, it turns into a single shot. Brass ejects cleanly at 3'oclock about 16in from my right foot.

Bumped it up a tad to 5.5gr Unique under a 115gr Speer TMJ, super acurate, had 2 FTE's out of 100, and brass often hit my right eye (wearing eye protection).

I'm left handed, so I suppose if I shot right handed it would fling past the side of my face.

Doing some searching, I came across some info about Glock changing the profile of the ejector pin. Mine is the original 336 pin. I read that the 30274 pin immediately fixes the problem and is a super cheap and easy fix.

Thoughts?
my new Gen3 and 4 does /did it. And no I'm not limp wristing.
Let me know if that fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Had to change the ejector on a friend's G3 G19, I was accusing him of limp wristing when he told me about this problem, we go to the range and I do a mag dump, most of the rounds either bounced off the lane divider and hit me or went almost straight back and hit me.

Thoughts?

Stop with the wussbag loads and most of your problems will probably go away. 5.5 grs of Unique is BELOW the start load for that bullet, in at least one source I just looked at. thats powder puff land. If you want to legitimately run garbage like that, you will probably need to respring the gun to get it to run right.

Now, in saying all this, the gun could still be ****ed up, but you're probably not helping things with the fluff loads. That stuff is probably weaker than Blazer Brass is (which is pretty weak).

-Mike

If the gun itself is ****ed, in my experience the FRE won't outright fix the problem, but it does make it less severe. I have one on my Gen4 17 and it makes a big difference with weaker ammo.

Of course, this doesn't explain why my earlier Gen4 that I had Glock fix (and like an idiot, I sold it a couple years ago) worked just fine with ANYTHING with the factory extractor. The problem is ****y, to put it mildly.

-Mike

Stop with the wussbag loads and most of your problems will probably go away. 5.5 grs of Unique is BELOW the start load for that bullet, in at least one source I just looked at. thats powder puff land. If you want to legitimately run garbage like that, you will probably need to respring the gun to get it to run right.

Now, in saying all this, the gun could still be ****ed up, but you're probably not helping things with the fluff loads. That stuff is probably weaker than Blazer Brass is (which is pretty weak).

-Mike

Are you serious? lol, please share this load data or source with me. Three or four manuals I have that even list Unique have Max charges at 5.4 I posted a bit back about 115/124gr loads with unique and the consensus among searches and feedback resulted in 5.5. I cant say I've ever seen such a discrepancy in load data as this combo. Another forum would lead me to believe 5.5gr of Unique will kill my neighbors kittens. Admittedly I have just started to load for 9mm. I'm not trying to wuss bag anything, just want a load that functions well, thats all. But really Mike, if you have a source of data for Unique and that bullet I'd love to see it.

Are you serious? lol, please share this load data or source with me. Three or four manuals I have that even list Unique have Max charges at 5.4 I posted a bit back about 115/124gr loads with unique and the consensus among searches and feedback resulted in 5.5. I cant say I've ever seen such a discrepancy in load data as this combo. Another forum would lead me to believe 5.5gr of Unique will kill my neighbors kittens. Admittedly I have just started to load for 9mm. I'm not trying to wuss bag anything, just want a load that functions well, thats all. But really Mike, if you have a source of data for Unique and that bullet I'd love to see it.

I was wrong about it being below the start load, but it's still low....

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/Alliant/Alliant_2014.pdf

Shows a 6.3 max with 115gr GDHP. No, it's not exactly the same bullet but it's close enough. Enough googling can probably find you more data.

Have you run factory in this gun? If you've run WWB and its still BTFing you, it probably -is- the gun. There are tons of Gen3s and Gen4s that do this and all you can really do at that point is bitch to glock and try to get them to fix it (and they usually do).

-Mike

ok, I appreciate it. I'm accustomed to variations in load data and I expect it, but with this powder/bullet pair, the data is all over the place with much of it being hearsay. I know 5.5 gives me about 95% case capacity so I wouldn't think it could go much higher without getting into compressed loads, and that just sounds bad with a powder like unique.

Erratic ejection is usually due to the ammo, in your case, light loads. You have a couple of choices; hotter loads or a lighter recoil spring. Glocks seem to respond well to recoil spring swaps, unlike some other striker fired guns. My M&P 9mm started to get light hits with a lighter than stock recoil spring.

Last edited:
My early Gen 4 G19, G17 had this issue; I had 3 g19s' and 2 G17. Sold them all and have no regrets. I heard Glock fixed "brass in the face" issue around 2014 or 2015. Get Walther PPQ or HK VP9 and all your problems will disappear. You will be able to fire any 9 mm ammo, weak or +P, without problems.

Last edited:
I bought a new G19 gen 4 last year and it would hang up about an eight of an inch after every shot. I had to push every round into battery with my thumb. I tried three different types of ammo , cleaned it three times and upgraded to a tungsten guide rod. I had it sent back to Smyrna Georgia. They replaced the ejector. 500 rounds later I haven't had a ftf since.

I've shot 124 and 147 out of my Glocks - Gen 3 19,Gen 4 17 and maybe 1 or 2 rounds out of my G17 mag will spit a round near my face. About 200 rounds out of my G19 and zero brass to my face

Im just saying there is a Million vids out there on just changing the ejector 30274 from a 336, and all worked well, worth trying for 8 bucks for OP , worked pretty decent for my Gen 4 26. Nuff said .

Last edited:
Im just saying there is a Million vids out there on just changing the ejector 30274 from a 336, and all worked well, worth trying for 8 bucks for OP , worked perfect for my Gen 4 26. Nuff said .

The Apex part worked for my gen4 26 but did not for my gen 2 17. My gen 2 19 was fine once I replaced the internals (stupid NY LEO trigger and fp was rusted to ****) What ended up working for my 17 was a simple OEM replacement of the extractor. I had already tried a number of ejectors.

I'm saying that once you eliminate the simple stuff, Apex has a solution that works for the majority of cases. I wouldn't settle for a gun that shoots brass in my face.

if running weak loads and it's a gen 3 G19 you can get a wolff uncaptured guide rod and various wolff uncaptured springs to tune it correctly. if running the OEM factory spring then would load your ammo up to factory ammo levels or else will likely have cycling/ejection issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a new gen 4 made late 2015 and it does the same thing with factory ammo.

easy fix is to attach a light to the rail. a few oz's up front and on the frame makes a big difference in the cycling and ejection.

My early gen 4 G19 sends brass into my face every once in a great while. It has the 336 ejector. I swapped in a 30274 ejector just for fun and had 2 FTE's in about 50 rounds. I had fired about 700 flawless rounds through it up until this point. I think I can live with the BTF.

If it ain't broke...

My early gen 4 G19 sends brass into my face every once in a great while. It has the 336 ejector. I swapped in a 30274 ejector just for fun and had 2 FTE's in about 50 rounds. I had fired about 700 flawless rounds through it up until this point. I think I can live with the BTF.

If it ain't broke...
I can't say much about FTE's in any Glock I have owned because I never had one FTE, FTF Etc....

Back
Top Bottom