• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fundamentals of Marksmanship

JimConway

Instructor
In all of my NRA basic Pistol and private coaching classes, I give out a copy of the chapter on marksmanship from Gabe Suarez's book "Tactical Pistol Marksmanship", with his permission. I suggets that you print a copy from http://www.suarezinternational.com/fundamentals.html

Please let me know what you think, questions, comments or whatever else.
Enjoy your reading as there will be a quiz tomorrow afternoon.

Enjoy

Jim,

I'm afraid this may be an area where Siskel & Ebert disagree. (That's an inside joke for the rest of you). It's also ironic that you started this thread as this subject was going to be next installment of, "My Opinion Only".

Gabe does an excellent job of defining the four area's of marksmanship he feels is most important, however, I disagree with a few of his points.

1) Although in the article Gabe does give himself an "out", I totally disagree on concentrating on the front sight in any engagement of 10 yards or less primarily for two reasons.

The first coincides with our earlier dicussion where you mentioned about programming a delay in response to students by looking for cover prior to engaging. Like anything you can reduce the time an action takes through practice, that's a given. However, in a CQB environment, there is no need to accuire a perfect sight picture or perfect sight alignment.

In a defensive shooting scenario two things matter - time and hits. Three things determine your time - presenting the firearm, bringing the firearm up and extending the arms (bringing to bear), and accuiring a sight picture. I contend that from 7 yards you can eliminate the sight picture completely and half of the 'raise and extend'. At 3 - 4 yards all you have to do is draw. This is a form of shooting from retention whereas the firearm is centered and kept close the body. I may not have had the forethought to name SUL back in the day but I did name this technique I'm alluding to. This is what I call "Punch Shooting" and I developed it through my time in HRT and martial arts. There's more to it but it ain't rocket surgery.

From 7 to 12 yards - present, raise and pick up the front sight only. Not focusing on the sight, mind you, and not creating a sight alignment, per se. This is where grip comes in as one of the areas I feel is important.

As Gabe mantion's, at any distance beyond 12 yards, a full sight picture, sight alignment is your best bet.

2) "To see, or not to see. That is the question" I hope Sir William forgives me for that bastardization but it is what I've come to dub the age old contrversary of one eye or two. I'm quite sure that all of us that first learned to shoot informally as youg'ns were taught to close one eye. Why? Because it's easier to get a new shooter on paper quicker instead of teaching them to use both eyes. God gave us both eyes for a reason, and it wasn't to have a spare.

To me there almost seems to be a contradiction in some instructors philosophies or maybe they just haven't thought it through. I no longer shoot any firearm (not even a scoped rifle) with one eye closed. This didn't come easy, it took training the same as trigger control or any other aspects of marksmanship. And, like any other shooting skill, it will degrade if not practiced.

Yes, your concentration should be focused on your immediate threat. However, how many times have you heard instructors say, "Check six", or if there's one, there's probably two? Point is, you do need to know what's going on around you. Now, I'm going to try to tie these two topics together in the practical application. Also, keep in mind, the human being has no depth perception with only one eye. That's just a pathophysiological fact.

We have, in recent talks, been explaining the importance of shooting while moving. Not on a nice flat, level, grassy range free of obstacles. We are talking about in a parking lot, around cars, negotiating sidewalk curbs, parking stops, your dining room table and chairs, the coffee table and your sofa (all at night). See, self defense gunfights never happen on the range. They happen in real life with real life obstacles that you are going to trip over. This is one reason I advocate getting these training classes off the square range and utilizing mock-ups that resemble real life situations.

When you close one eye, not only do you lose depth perception, you lose peripheral vision, as well. I'm not only talking horizontal, but vertical, also. This means you'll decrease your ability to see your footing as you move. Now, the mind can only concentrate on one thought at a time but it is able to process a great deal of incoming information at the same time. This is where the subconscious and conscious bridge a gap. Ever hear people (or experienced yourself) time slow down during an intense encounter? It seemed liked it took forever but you were processing all kinds of information in a very split second. This is also part of the sympathetic nervous response, fight or flight.

Now, I will grant you that while standing on a range, at the ready at 7 yards, you will probably be able to shoot a tighter group by drawing, bringing to bear, closing one eye, picking up a sight picture - sight alignment and squeezing the trigger. I'm telling you that closing one eye, concentrating on the front sight post while moving and shooting at a moving target, while negotiating obstacles is not an easy thing to do. Sight picture and sight alignment, concentrating on the front post is the most accurate way to shoot a stationary target while you remain stationary, as well. Don't believe me? Try it.

If you are awaken and investigating a noise in your house in the middle of the night, are you going to walk around with one eye closed, concentrating on the front sight? Rediculous you say? Okay, so don't. You are moving down the hallway into the living room. Now, you see the BG. Your mind starts to process. First is, "Oh, Shit! there's a BG". Then, you see him turn and raise a hand. Your eyes will be attracted to the movement and your mind will start to process what, if anything, is in his hand and is his movement strating to present a threat. Then you realize it's a weapon and you have to act. Now, you have to take the time to close one eye, shift your focus from your threat and look at the front post, align with the rear sight and fire. Too much time. Always remember that action is quicker than reaction. I will say it again, in a CQB situation (<12 yards) never close an eye and never, ever take your eyes off of your threat. I guarantee you that your front sight will never shoot at you so stop concentrating on it.

I agree with Tony that in a tactical situation, you NEED to have both eyes open.

On the range you can do what is best for you (1 eye in my case).

This leaves an open question . . . what are we training on the range for? If target OK, if tactical then we should be practicing ONLY what we need for the tactical situation (2 eyes for all).

For CQB, you have to think like a Skeet Shooter, IMHO.

Both eyes OPEN.

Focus on the TARGET.

Aim with your HANDS.

Very deadly at 16 yards with a 12 guage on a moving target about 4" in diameter.

TonyD said:
Jim,

I'm afraid this may be an area where Siskel & Ebert disagree. (That's an inside joke for the rest of you). It's also ironic that you started this thread as this subject was going to be next installment of, "My Opinion Only".

Gabe does an excellent job of defining the four area's of marksmanship he feels is most important, however, I disagree with a few of his points.

1) Although in the article Gabe does give himself an "out", I totally disagree on concentrating on the front sight in any engagement of 10 yards or less primarily for two reasons.

The first coincides with our earlier dicussion where you mentioned about programming a delay in response to students by looking for cover prior to engaging. Like anything you can reduce the time an action takes through practice, that's a given. However, in a CQB environment, there is no need to accuire a perfect sight picture or perfect sight alignment.

In a defensive shooting scenario two things matter - time and hits. Three things determine your time - presenting the firearm, bringing the firearm up and extending the arms (bringing to bear), and accuiring a sight picture. I contend that from 7 yards you can eliminate the sight picture completely and half of the 'raise and extend'. At 3 - 4 yards all you have to do is draw. This is a form of shooting from retention whereas the firearm is centered and kept close the body. I may not have had the forethought to name SUL back in the day but I did name this technique I'm alluding to. This is what I call "Punch Shooting" and I developed it through my time in HRT and martial arts. There's more to it but it ain't rocket surgery.

From 7 to 12 yards - present, raise and pick up the front sight only. Not focusing on the sight, mind you, and not creating a sight alignment, per se. This is where grip comes in as one of the areas I feel is important.

As Gabe mantion's, at any distance beyond 12 yards, a full sight picture, sight alignment is your best bet.

2) "To see, or not to see. That is the question" I hope Sir William forgives me for that bastardization but it is what I've come to dub the age old contrversary of one eye or two. I'm quite sure that all of us that first learned to shoot informally as youg'ns were taught to close one eye. Why? Because it's easier to get a new shooter on paper quicker instead of teaching them to use both eyes. God gave us both eyes for a reason, and it wasn't to have a spare.

To me there almost seems to be a contradiction in some instructors philosophies or maybe they just haven't thought it through. I no longer shoot any firearm (not even a scoped rifle) with one eye closed. This didn't come easy, it took training the same as trigger control or any other aspects of marksmanship. And, like any other shooting skill, it will degrade if not practiced.

Yes, your concentration should be focused on your immediate threat. However, how many times have you heard instructors say, "Check six", or if there's one, there's probably two? Point is, you do need to know what's going on around you. Now, I'm going to try to tie these two topics together in the practical application. Also, keep in mind, the human being has no depth perception with only one eye. That's just a pathophysiological fact.

We have, in recent talks, been explaining the importance of shooting while moving. Not on a nice flat, level, grassy range free of obstacles. We are talking about in a parking lot, around cars, negotiating sidewalk curbs, parking stops, your dining room table and chairs, the coffee table and your sofa (all at night). See, self defense gunfights never happen on the range. They happen in real life with real life obstacles that you are going to trip over. This is one reason I advocate getting these training classes off the square range and utilizing mock-ups that resemble real life situations.

When you close one eye, not only do you lose depth perception, you lose peripheral vision, as well. I'm not only talking horizontal, but vertical, also. This means you'll decrease your ability to see your footing as you move. Now, the mind can only concentrate on one thought at a time but it is able to process a great deal of incoming information at the same time. This is where the subconscious and conscious bridge a gap. Ever hear people (or experienced yourself) time slow down during an intense encounter? It seemed liked it took forever but you were processing all kinds of information in a very split second. This is also part of the sympathetic nervous response, fight or flight.

Now, I will grant you that while standing on a range, at the ready at 7 yards, you will probably be able to shoot a tighter group by drawing, bringing to bear, closing one eye, picking up a sight picture - sight alignment and squeezing the trigger. I'm telling you that closing one eye, concentrating on the front sight post while moving and shooting at a moving target, while negotiating obstacles is not an easy thing to do. Sight picture and sight alignment, concentrating on the front post is the most accurate way to shoot a stationary target while you remain stationary, as well. Don't believe me? Try it.

If you are awaken and investigating a noise in your house in the middle of the night, are you going to walk around with one eye closed, concentrating on the front sight? Rediculous you say? Okay, so don't. You are moving down the hallway into the living room. Now, you see the BG. Your mind starts to process. First is, "Oh, Shit! there's a BG". Then, you see him turn and raise a hand. Your eyes will be attracted to the movement and your mind will start to process what, if anything, is in his hand and is his movement strating to present a threat. Then you realize it's a weapon and you have to act. Now, you have to take the time to close one eye, shift your focus from your threat and look at the front post, align with the rear sight and fire. Too much time. Always remember that action is quicker than reaction. I will say it again, in a CQB situation (<12 yards) never close an eye and never, ever take your eyes off of your threat. I guarantee you that your front sight will never shoot at you so stop concentrating on it.

TonyD
The important thing to consider is the Gabe's Article is focused on how to shoot not how to fight. Before you can fight with a gun you MUST learn how to shoot accurately. It is equally important to understand that the nice little 3" groups that you shoot on the square range will become 6" groups in a high stress situation. This increase in group size under stress is fine, and even benificial, as long as they are centered where you want them to be.

The issue of one eye vs. two eyes will be argued foeever and there will be no agreement. My advise is to keep both eyes open if you can except possibly for a high precision shot. For those that can not get a good hit with both eyes open, all is not gloom and doom. The thing to remamber is that the off eye only needs to be closed for a heart beat and probably does not matter a lot. In my case, the only time that I close my left eye is for a 25 meter shot.

Remember that I said that the paper was a starting point for beginning shooters. As the shooter becomes more advanced, so do his sighting techniques. In an earlier response, I mentioned the phrase "See what you need to see" For me that means that at about 10 to 12 yards, I want to have a good focus on the front sight. At bad breath distance, I will shoot from a retntion position with the gun indexed against my rib cage with my focus on the BG. Between these two extremes, my sighting methods and my focus (target or sights) will shift progressively as the distance increases. At some distances all I need is the outline of the gun on the target or the front sight on the target. I often demonstrate the effects of a poor sight picture at 5 yards by shooting 4 shots as follows: 1. front sight way up in the rear sight notch, 2. Front sight way down in the notch, 3. Front sight way left in the notch and 4. front sight way right in the notch. The group of these 4 shots is always good in a tactical situation. The point that I am trying to make is that one sight technique and target/sight focus does fit all people at all encounter ranges. As a shooter that may have to shoot in a defensive situation it is important to know how to hit at the expected encounter ranges and to find out what he or she needs to see to get the shot. One size does not fit all.

At the normally expected encounter ranges (read that as close) you will not shoot the neat little groups that you get on the square range. The question is does any of the matter. The answer is no as long as your shots are hitting. Remember that loss of blood is the most common response that puts the BG out of the fight and that 2 or 3 or 4 holes will bleed more than one hole.

Jim,

Maybe I read Gabe's article wrong but I got the impression he was dicussing how to shoot in a defensive scenario when he stated in his first paragraph, "I am not talking about Bullseye Shooting, although some of the skill involved in that discipline also corresponds to tactical shooting. We are primarily interested in self-defense shooting. This means that we want the ability to place solid hits on an adversary from a condition of unreadiness under urgent time limits."

I still advocate keeping both eyes open regardless of the length of the shot or the shooting discipline. For the precise, that's when you go with the full sight picture / alignment, breath control, etc. It does take practice to train yourself.

I've come to a different conclusion on training new shooters over the years primarily because of the difficulty in retraining myself in the early days after a youth of accumulating bad habits. I think they should be taught from the beginning how to shoot at each range and I think it should be stressed to keep both eyes open and why. Then, you can move on to things like shooting while moving and shooting at moving targets. The latter, an area I think that is grossly overlooked. More than likely the BG ain't gonna stand still for you either.

Back
Top Bottom