• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fun things to shoot at ?

I got really tired of golf balls rolling down the berm after I shot them once, so I screwed a small eye hook into a number of golf balls and tied them to a piece of 1x3" strapping that I stick into the berm. You can essentially keep shooting them until you bury them in the berm or shoot the eye hook out.

A 12 gauge and an old big screen tv is fun stuff.

Or a 30-06 and an almost empty propane tank.

I have a couple of out of date propane tanks if someone wants to shoot at them. I even have one of the semi-transparent Lite Tanks that can never be filled again (recalled, but they didn't want it back).

Silly String, Shaving Cream, Cheese Whiz, anything that will react to a drastic release of pressure.

I like to go to walmart and buy a cheap case of clear sugar free soda (like the walmart version of sprite). I shake them up then put them on the berm. They explode nicely, and the they don't leave a sticky mess. Cleanup is easy as the exploded aluminum can is easy to pick up. New shooters love them, about the cheapest reactive targets around.

Everything mentioned in this thread is fun to shoot at. Learned some new tricks too, the old man did.

I like to go to walmart and buy a cheap case of clear sugar free soda (like the walmart version of sprite). I shake them up then put them on the berm. They explode nicely, and the they don't leave a sticky mess. Cleanup is easy as the exploded aluminum can is easy to pick up. New shooters love them, about the cheapest reactive targets around.
paint them black and leave them in the sun for a while before shooting

Potatoes seemed to be the cheapest thing at the grocery store that I found for good sized "reactive" targets. It takes a lot of shots to completely use one up, and when struck they kick out potato chunks in an impressive radius.

Apples explode nicely.
Clay pigeons.
A good thick phone book, it's fun to dig the expanded bullets out after.

- - - Updated - - -

A waste of ammo.
Rope is reusable.
Clay pigeons are lots of fun. I bought my buddy some wire things that hold a pigeon and hook into a piece of cardboard to hold them off the ground. He gave them rave reviews.

When the bugs are out in full force, honey against a target will attract them, and stick them, till you hit them. Dragonflies are easy - grasshoppers are gooey and flies are fun.

Old skillsaw blades are the poor mans steel plates. My club uses them for black powder shoots.
Birdshot and full size water jugs are great. Especially if you can hang them from a wire they can spin around on.

I like to shoot at deer, squirrels, coyotes, antelope, brown bear with pointed stick, ground hogs and especially blue herons that are eating all my stocked fish in my ponds.

1/4" AR500 steel plates hanging on shepherds hooks....awesome setup and easy to transport

1/4" AR500 steel plates hanging on shepherds hooks....awesome setup and easy to transport

Unless one of your friends can't stop shooting the shepherd's hook. Mine is so crooked it barely holds the plate. For the record S&W 500 Mag gives it about a 90 degree bend. I'm gonna use it until it completely gives up the ghost.

Has anyone tried frozen Dixie cups? I've been thinking about them for winter targets; just freeze a string right into the target or tie it through a small hole at the top of the cup.

Back
Top Bottom