Fun things to shoot at ?

PaulR

NES Member
It's been a while since I've seen one of these threads so I'm starting another one.

We have an outdoor range where pretty much everything goes within reason. I like to be courteous and haul out what I haul in.

Most of our shooting is plinking with a 22.
My target bucket has:
1) some different size steel plates on a coat hanger I stick into the ground.
2) Golf balls and golf tees.
3) small wood 2x4 blocks.
4) Gatorade bottles
5) Also have a 3 gong spinner.

I've been getting sorta bored plinking at the golf balls, looking for more fun things to shoot at, including targets to make. I need some ideas of what is fun. Thanks.

I save all of the various water, juice & milk jugs that pass through our house and I fill them with water before I head to the range. They're fun to shoot at. I bring some clay targets sometimes.

One idea that I had, but haven't tried yet, is to get a big pile of those empty plastic easter eggs meant to put candy in, but fill them with flour instead. When you hit them, it should make a highly visible "explosion". I'm also going to try bringing some balloons with me next time I go.

I save all of the various water, juice & milk jugs that pass through our house and I fill them with water before I head to the range. They're fun to shoot at. I bring some clay targets sometimes.

One idea that I had, but haven't tried yet, is to get a big pile of those empty plastic easter eggs meant to put candy in, but fill them with flour instead. When you hit them, it should make a highly visible "explosion". I'm also going to try bringing some balloons with me next time I go.

The easter eggs and flour are a great idea. Last time I took my girls shooting another member had his son there and they bought balloons.....and an M&P AR15. Of course my girls just like to shoot the .22 so i left my 5.56 and .308 and 30-30 home so nothing to show off next to that sweet M&P. My girls were pissed at me for not thinking of the balloons. Hey, I thought I was cool getting them the zombie targets. Who knew...lmao....

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Hmmmm, great ideas.

I'm thinking talc or butt powder would be even lighter than flour, might explode better..........

<flipping on FUDD hat> Make sure you are aware of ricochets and what your clubs rules are regarding targets. <FUDD hat off>

I like shooting at 12 gauge shotgun shells either hung from a string or lined up on a board.

Chris

I generally stop by Market Basket for 5 - 10 2 liter bottles of the cheapest soda they have.

hit those with 30-06 soft poing hunting carteridges for good 'splosion!

The "self sealing" reaction targets that they sell at dicks are also a good time........load up the M1 and start hitting those.......aim a tad low with the M1 and itll blow the target about 20 feet into the air......try to follow it and hit it when it hits the ground again. Good stuff.

I know the range you're talking about I think. Great place!

I opt for seltzer/sparkling water since it's cheap and most importantly it's not all sticky when you get it on yourself.
Random cheap fruits that are bad or you don't want
Maybe an old car door with the glass removed? ( I remember the no glass and electronics policy if it's where I'm thinking of)

soda cans on a dirt surface with a semi-auto .22.

Bowling pins on at table with a .45

Pumpkins are amazingly indifferent to rifles, and even shotgun blasts. You need to hit them A LOT, so not much fun.

almost empty propane tanks do not actually explode, like u see in the movies! go figure. So once again, no fun

the sides of old truck beds...just to make them look gangstah

I like to shoot at cheap cans of soda. A few tips:

- Buy it in NH so you don't pay a deposit. Walmart has it for like $3-4 per case.
- Get the colorful stuff, red/orange/blue
- Diet isn't as sticky as regular
- Get stuff that you wouldn't want to drink, then you aren't tempted to drink it

Battleship targets by Birchwood Casey

X2......I have a few left. Passes the time at the range with my boy and the 22 revolver......we play two rounds and it takes hours. and really teaches you to aim small! ANd they are made of the "splatter" material so you can see where the rounds hit easily. When he was younger I would handicap myself and let him shoot from a rest and I shot offhand. Now......I'm to the point where I may not HAVE to let him win every now and then.......he'll make me actually work at it pretty soon.

These:
http://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Battle-Target-Pack/dp/B006ESIUHM

- - - Updated - - -

How does one "hold" a necco wafer in place to shoot at it?

"here.....hold this"! [rofl]

Last edited:
old paintballs on golf T's , dollar Store toys
last easter the advancing enemy was quick and strong, the unicorn sniper was particularly tough to flush out.... cool wits and straight shooting prevailed

used hot glue gun for this but doubled sided tape works well also.

Another fun thing is if someone has a camera that does slow motion well its great to watch the action after.

Back
Top Bottom