Fun little gun.

dcmdon

NES Member
4.8 lbs without optics. Nothing exotic except for the best plastic lower I've ever seen.

And yes, I know the carpet doesn't quite match the drapes. Ha. I put a half dozen rounds through it last week, adjusting the gas system. It shoots great.

Don

300blkSBR1.jpg

What makes the plastic receiver the best you've seen?

I saw some place selling 80% .308 plastic lowers... the buffer tube area of the receiver is already the weakest part in plastic AR15 receivers (hence why that area tends to have lots of extra plastic or some bits of metal embedded to reinforce it)... I don't imagine the stress decreases with a larger caliber.

4.8 lbs without optics. Nothing exotic except for the best plastic lower I've ever seen.

And yes, I know the carpet doesn't quite match the drapes. Ha. I put a half dozen rounds through it last week, adjusting the gas system. It shoots great.

Don

View attachment 148717

Sweet rig!

What makes the plastic receiver the best you've seen?

I saw some place selling 80% .308 plastic lowers... the buffer tube area of the receiver is already the weakest part in plastic AR15 receivers (hence why that area tends to have lots of extra plastic or some bits of metal embedded to reinforce it)... I don't imagine the stress decreases with a larger caliber.

I don't think an AR lower actually bears too much load.

Last edited:
Exodious,

The weak point for most plastic receivers is the buffer tube attachment area. This one is just very rigid in that space. I was able to put the receiver on the corner of a door way with one hand on the front of the hand guard and the other on the end of the extended stock and there was not much more flex than an aluminum gun.

You can buy a stripped receiver for something like $35. Which is a decent deal but not great in this era of $50 anderson lowers. But they've also developed an entirely plastic lower parts kit. I was skeptical, I'm sure you are shaking your head. But here is the crazy thing. This gun has the best non-match trigger I've ever felt in an AR. It measures at a hair over 4 lbs on my Lymann gauge and is very very smooth. Its so nice that I feel no need to purchase an aftermarket trigger.

Time will tell if it lasts, but the owner of the company told me they spent 2 years developing the trigger. The trigger is really the only unknown that I can't fully endorse at this point. But so far so good.

Finally, they will sell you a fully COMPLETE lower with buffer, spring, tube, stock and LPK for $119.

My thought is that I usually spend $120 just on the trigger on most guns I build. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

So far I've got about 120 rounds through it; mostly .223. And its doing fine. Hardly a torture test but it is very intriguing.

The company is Starlos firearms.

I'm also going to be pocketing out this lower to accept a M16 fire control group, so I should have something running full auto in a couple of weeks. At that point, I may put out a call to NES for help in a torture test. (I am 07/Class2 so its all legal)

Either way, its very intriguing. My goal here was to build a compact, light, suppressed gun in .300 blk without spending a lot of cash. So far I'm into this for less than $600.

Don

p.s. A friend of mine has a lightweight .458 socom upper and we ran about 20 rounds of that also. But the ammo is so expensive we limited its use.

If anyone is either made of money or reloads 458, you are welcome to shoot .458 through it full auto once its running.

Last edited:
once its going, just bring ammo. Ha.

This thing really would be the ultimate home defense carbine. Short, with a hard hitting .30 round and weight with silencer of under 6 lbs.

Last edited:
once its going, just bring ammo. Ha.

This thing really would be the ultimate home defense carbine. Short, with a hard hitting .30 round and weight with silencer of under 6 lbs.

I'll pm you some pics later of little thunders. I'll be finishing them today minus "finish" test fire tomorrow if you free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom