• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

fun .22 mag rifle ?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am interested in getting a .22 mag rifle, for no real reason except it seems like fun, and I'm looking for something with a little more oomph than .22LR. Anyone have suggestions for a fun .22 WMR rifle?

Note, I have not seen .22 Mag ammo anyplace for cheaper than .223/5.56 costs, so there does not seem to be any $$ savings involved here. I just kind of like the caliber...

I knida would like to get one as well. I do coyote hunting up in ME, and have found the 22LR to be underpowered.

But I still would like something that doesn't sound out through the whole county during the night hunting season.

I have a Chiappa little badger single shot 22 mag. It's a real fun gun.

They're all pretty fun. Except I never shoot my Savage because it's not much cooler than 22LR for plinking and its way more expensive.

Love my CZ 455, but what about 17HMR over 22MAG. 17 is definitely more readily available where I am.

Iv got a savage 93R in 17HMR it's more accurate then I am. I'm sure the 22mag version would be fine out to 100 yards. Maybe consider a 17HMR ammo is available everywhere and can touch out much further then a 22 mag

I also have a 77/22 but in .22 Hornet. It's more powerful than the .22 magnum and a lot quieter than the .223. If you reload, it's cheaper than the .22 magnum.

Keep in mind 22 wmr costs similar to .223. The latter far more capable (and IMO fun).

If you get a .22mag rifle, grab a pistol in the same caliber. There are a few out there and I think the concept is pretty cool.

The henry lever action comes in 22 mag.......the wood and barrel are much nicer than the 22lr versions as well

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93BSEV

wugf9JcsO_diMWS2ibZ.png

I like 17hmr better but any rimfire rifle is fun. Savage makes some nice ones. Ruger American seems nice.

CZ452 or 455. There are kits that allow the shooter to easily interchange between .17, .22LR and .22WMR.

I have one in .22 mag if you'd like to try it, Henry. It's a fun rifle!

Keep an eye out for used ones as well there are some rather obscure ones out there.

This is a model 700 Deluxe Made by H&R....it is semi-auto...it has ammo it really likes...but unlike many semi-auto 22 mags it is not a finicky eater at all.

I saw one Browning pump BPR-22 22 magnum rifle that really caught my eye. They don't make them anymore I don't think, and they are all kind of expensive used, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap one.

DSC_0077_zpsqufqerdh.jpg

May as well get a .223 rifle. 22WMR is super hard to find, and at $.30/round, is the same price as brass .223.

Ammo cost was always my biggest gripe with the .22WMR.
Although I never had a problem finding the stuff, it just irked me that I could reload and shoot centerfire pistol rounds such as .38 special, 9mm and .45ACP for less than what .22WMR cost.
I still have a few .22WMR's in the safe, but rarely ever take them out to play anymore.

Back
Top Bottom