FS Question

When I sell anything the other person gets a deal for sure. I don't sell to make profit, I usually sell to get rid of stuff. (My father on the other hand is the opposite!) From cell phones to refrigerators, I usually sell 50% off. I like to move products, not haggle and hold on to.

I'm not in the sales business either so maybe thats why I give good deals! haha [smile]

Far as I recall, we are still in a free market system. Someone offers a price and it makes sense, take it. If it doesn't make sense refuse. Seems pretty easy, and been the same since trade began millenia ago.

Course, there are people have their own ideas about value. For instance, are times I see a used gun that is pretty much the same price used as I can buy new, but ohh wait, the seller points out I save the sales tax. BFD on that. I would rather have a NEW gun from a known dealer and pay the tax than your used gun and save the tax. That is zero incentive to purchase.

As an example, a new S&W 642 can be bought for $425ish, so someone posts it in the classifieds for $400 and wants the buyer to pay the transfer fee. How the heck is that a deal?

Unless your firearm has some special feature, if it is a price close to what I can buy it for new, I will choose to offer you a lower price, or buy it new. If the lower price I offer doesn't make sense to you, just say no. My wife will hug me whether you sell me the gun or not, life goes on.

One last point, I probably will never own a Glock as long as I live in Massachusetts, because I will never pay $750 for a gun that is only worth $500 new.

In case some of you haven't noticed collecting firearms is a hobby for some people here. Part of that hobby is buying and selling. I'm not advocating people trying to take advantage of fellow members but I can't really understand why people get offended at low ball offers. I'm not a habitual tire kicker--I typically know what I want and don't but if someone makes you an offer the worst you can say is "no". What's the big deal? Hit reply type "n", type "o" click send: click, type, type, click. Not so taxing.

Someone here bumped an ad at least twice with a "make offer" statement so I did and by their response they were real ticked at my offer. I wasn't trying to offend; the price was what it was worth to me.

I do get a kick out seeing the same items advertised for months or even longer. It's like when you used to see the same car in the Want Ad over and over. I can't explain it but you get used to seeing it and then you forget about it, then it pops up again. It's kind of comical.

Last edited:
HOW ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE TRYING TO SELL THEIR HOUSE ON THEIR OWN, AND WAY OVERPRICE THE PROPERTY. THEY CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE DAMM PROPERTY HASN'T MOVED IN MONTHS, NOT EVEN THE LEAST BIT OF INTEREST BY ANYONE.
THE PROPERTY IS WAY OVERPRICED YOU FOOL!!!

Exactly my point.....Value to one may not be to the other. I have dealt with this over the years in motorcycles. Customizations on those lost BIG value UNLESS you found that one special buyer that had plan on doing almost the same thing as you did. Then there was more value for that buyer in it.

My case was the M&P. I had already determined I wanted a FS .40 M&P. I also knew it was going to need a trigger job. My purchase timeline put me out of the 2 free mag deal from S&W so I had to buy those also. The sights were not critical (until I tried them, now I love them).

To dupe this gun new to me was $654 for gun and mags after tax plus another 270 (work, sights and shipping) for the trigger and sights that were on this gun ( Dan Burwell job) So $924 new but having to wait for the work..... or $700 for one with 200 rounds through and get it instant. Oh and I got to actually shoot it for 50 or so rounds before handing over cash.

I saw the value in it for me. [smile]

You people take buying and selling too personally. Not everyone agrees on the value of a product. Don't take it as a personal insult if I don't think what you are selling is worth the price

what you think is a fair price, may not be what others think is fair

case in point. $700 for a M&P, trigger jobs and sights add no value to the gun for me. But for others it does, so the sale way made to someone that sees the value.

Last edited:
No reason to be insulted. As was stated if the price is "FIRM" say so.

Personally I barter for any larger purchase I make. Whether it be new cars, or a new TV. Sometimes I make out, sometimes I end up paying asking price. My wife hates shopping with me like that, but why not try and get seller to sweeten the deal?

I have often had even major retail stores cut me a break or offer "extras" to make the sale. The way I see it, you will end up paying full price for everything if you don't bother trying. I figure the worst that will happen is the seller will refuse. Put the shoe on the other foot. Who honestly doesn't like getting a deal? Do you get deal more often by asking, or by keeping quiet and paying whatever is on the tag?

Someone already mentioned, it's not like making a low offer is the same as insulting your family name.

People expect deals from private sales. $25 below wholesale isn't a huge deal, particularly among people well connected enough that they are already paying wholesale. If someone buys wholesale, they deal with a known vendor (no logistical difficulties), and they get their pick of the exact model, and can buy it at any time, not just when a private seller has a single unit. Sell a single unit in a particular configuration "new used" (i.e., unshot but not new from the distributor merchandise) and you can't expect to do as well as a wholesaler who regularly makes the entire product line available.

It's no more appropriate for a seller to be insulted by a lowball offer than for a prospective buyer to be insulted by a high price tag. It's business, not a comment about your mother's lineage.

+1 and I'll add.... so you're getting angry at the people who would like to buy the item! How about getting angry at all of the people who read the ad and have no interest or the ones who think the price is so high they won't even bother making you an offer.

HOW ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE TRYING TO SELL THEIR HOUSE ON THEIR OWN, AND WAY OVERPRICE THE PROPERTY. THEY CAN'T SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE DAMM PROPERTY HASN'T MOVED IN MONTHS, NOT EVEN THE LEAST BIT OF INTEREST BY ANYONE.
THE PROPERTY IS WAY OVERPRICED YOU FOOL!!!

+1 Amen!

huh i didn't even get to a price! there was an ad in the members section, i took a look and started doing some research. while doing so i noticed there was a recall on the item, i contacted the seller to see if it had already gone through the recall fix and i NEVER received a reply.

needless to say i didn't try again.

When I see someone CLEARLY struggling to sell something and they are crying about needing the cash...this is what I do...tell me if I'm wrong.

I offer them what I can come up with in cash. If I have some expendable cash, and he has a gun he doesn't want and needs cash...its a win win. Example. a 308 was being sold for 550...for weeks and weeks. I offered 475...its what i had at the time...The guy sounded desperate so I figured it would be a win win. He sounded pissed. Then weeks later wanted the deal...but it was too late then.

All that to say this. I think its the posters responsibility to show their intentions and level of need to sell it. If you don't NEED to...then slap a price up and say firm. If you NEED to sell it...be willing to wiggle a bit....sexually. JK.

One last point, I probably will never own a Glock as long as I live in Massachusetts, because I will never pay $750 for a gun that is only worth $500 new.

+1. If I spend that much money on a firearm, it'll be for an AR-15.

I know the ad(s) you're referring to, and I feel the same way. I won't give up the hunt though.

No reason to be insulted. As was stated if the price is "FIRM" say so.

Personally I barter for any larger purchase I make. Whether it be new cars, or a new TV. Sometimes I make out, sometimes I end up paying asking price. My wife hates shopping with me like that, but why not try and get seller to sweeten the deal?

I have often had even major retail stores cut me a break or offer "extras" to make the sale. The way I see it, you will end up paying full price for everything if you don't bother trying. I figure the worst that will happen is the seller will refuse. Put the shoe on the other foot. Who honestly doesn't like getting a deal? Do you get deal more often by asking, or by keeping quiet and paying whatever is on the tag?

Someone already mentioned, it's not like making a low offer is the same as insulting your family name.
I wish I could do this. I try, but it's just not in my DNA. My version of haggling over an item listed somewhere for $500: "Uh...would you take...$499? No? OK, I'm sorry. Here's the money." [thinking]

Here's the definition of Fair Market Value which I use when I appraise a house for estate purposes(or similar situations).

"For the purpose of clarity, we set forth herein the definition of Fair Market Value: as being the highest price in terms of money that a property will bring if exposed for sale in an open market, allowing a reasonable time to find a purchaser, buying with a full knowledge of all the uses to which it is adapted for, and for which it is capable of being used and without undue stimulus to buy or sell."

We can only speculate what that number will be until two parties actually agree and consummate the deal. Negotiating is part of the process. As DRGRANT mentioned. If you don't like to haggle just say so up front.

In a non-business forum such as this, reasonable price haggling should always be acceptable. It even should be okay at a legitimate business when done reasonably.

( Maybe kind of off-topic at first )

My looking at the For Sale classifieds can be a somewhat entertaining experience. I've learned who is selling their wares at a reasonable price and who isn't. I'm with the guy who posted above me - the stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I buy stuff when I think the price is fair. If it isn't fair, I just keep on looking.

My peeve here is with the Glocks here for sale. I've done the " it's in MA so the price is this " already and I won't do it again. I've heard the some people say that you should sell your MA approved firearms you bought here before you leave but I'm sorry, that ain't happenning. I paid $730 or so for a Glock 29 I bought from Tombstone Trading. Add 4 mags ( 1 came with the gun ) and the Pierce finger extensions = over $100 or so. The final addition is a set of Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8 night sights = $95+ shipping puts the total I've spent on the pistol at almost $940. You think I'll get the $800 or so that I would ask for the pistol if I put it in the classifieds here? I don't think so. Guess what, it goes with me as a reminder of what I did in MA to own a Glock 29.

I've gotten some good deals here in MA from both dealers and selleres here in the classifieds. My Glock 20 was $550 from a dealer at one of the Springfield shows. I got a Storm Lake barrel for it here from Eddie Coyle for $75, so there are some deals here and there. You have to be at the right place, right time, and with the money/knowledge to get what you're looking for. If it isn't right, just keep looking.

( As a side note... as one of the posters said above - if you're selling something and you've had it for awhile and nobody is buying it, maybe the price is too high and it might be time to think about why you're selling the item.)

Joe R.

I don't get why people get so up in arms when you make an offer that's below asking price. All you have to do is say "no," or "my price is firm." They're making an offer to buy something you're selling, not insulting your mother. This isn't Sear's; most people are willing negotiate.

And a LOT of people have unreasonable expectations as to how much they can sell their items for. If it's been up on the forum for two weeks, it's probably priced too high.

Two weeks? There are guns that's been on the FS for TWO YEARS !! [thinking]

I can't believe this is that big of a deal. If someone sends you an offer that is low, just say no. Let me ask you this. Do you pay face value for a car or a house? I am sure you make a deal. Welcome to a free market. A free market allows people to sell Glocks for 800 dollars in MA. I guess you take the good with the bad.

You are posting on an internet forum to sell an item. Bottom line is it does not state in the rules that you cannot make a deal.

Well, this has been interesting. Right, wrong it comes down to do your research. Buy what you can afford. If I offered a Matching/ perfect Vet bring back K98 w/ papers for $500.00 I bet some opinions would change, I'd be a dumb ass. I have seen both sides voiced. I myself would not lowball a sale. I have only bought 1 firearm here. I did not lowball. If you offer the sell price, guess what. You will get the firearm. It is funny that almost every offer I have recieved is from Mass where these rifles are not going there because of the AG. All were lowball or a partial purchase.

Well, this has been interesting. Right, wrong it comes down to do your research. Buy what you can afford. If I offered a Matching/ perfect Vet bring back K98 w/ papers for $500.00 I bet some opinions would change, I'd be a dumb ass. I have seen both sides voiced. I myself would not lowball a sale. I have only bought 1 firearm here. I did not lowball. If you offer the sell price, guess what. You will get the firearm. It is funny that almost every offer I have recieved is from Mass where these rifles are not going there because of the AG. All were lowball or a partial purchase.
Out of curiosity, is any offer below the selling price a "lowball" offer, or is there some subjective threshold where an offer becomes "lowball?" Are you saying you would never offer any less than the asking price? Not trying to argue, just to understand the scope of where you're coming from.

For what it's worth I took a negotiating class several years ago. One of the fun parts of the class was trying to negotiate everyday items. People came into the class with ugly lamps they got for pennies at WalMart and just about anything you can imagine. The instructor even managed to negotiate his toll on the highway. You learn a few things very quickly - 1) you can get a price reduction on almost anything 2) Some people get offended when you ask for a discount but most take it in stride. 3) It doesn't hurt to ask.

When I pit up a gun for sale I ask a more than fair price. When I say it is in UNFIRED condition, it IS.

When someone offers a LOWBALL offer it is insulting to me and speaks volumes about the person who made the offer.

Remind me not to bend over in front of one of those people. When someone offers an item for a fair price I don't believe it is required to try to lowball him.
It's BS.
I simply don't understand your view point or why you are getting so worked up over it. If you don't like their offer, turn them down. No big deal.

There are plenty of things in life worth getting worked up over. The fact that someone makes you a low offer simply isn't one of them.

For what it's worth I took a negotiating class several years ago. One of the fun parts of the class was trying to negotiate everyday items. People came into the class with ugly lamps they got for pennies at WalMart and just about anything you can imagine. The instructor even managed to negotiate his toll on the highway. You learn a few things very quickly - 1) you can get a price reduction on almost anything 2) Some people get offended when you ask for a discount but most take it in stride. 3) It doesn't hurt to ask.
There was a recent article in Time on this very subject, i.e. negotiating for basically everything and anything. They concluded pretty much the exact same thing.

Back
Top Bottom