front sights only ??

This means at close range, all you theoretically need, is your front sight on target, on a torso size target you should be able to hit everytime, as long as you have the gun level... This has been my experience anyway....

Maybe they are referring to having the key point of focus on the front site while the rear sight and target are a bit out of focus.

If they meant keep the front sight in focus, while the back sight and target are a bit out of focus, wouldnt they at least mention them.... Question to OP, are "they" refering to basic fundamentals(target/bullseye shooting) or personal protection style shooting (point shooting)?

when people say just use the front sights of the pistol (i think to get better aim ?)

Either people are incorrect or you are misinterpreting them.

Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time, but you have 3 different things of importance: 1) target, 2) front sight, 3) rear sight. For best accuracy, line up the sights, then focus intently on the front sight.

when people say just use the front sights of the pistol (i think to get better aim ?)
I guess you could think like this. As the distance to the target increases from very close to far, the sight picture you need to get good hits becomes more important.

At very close ranges you might not use the sights at all, while a little further away you might sight over the front sight while not taking time to level and align the front sight with the rear sight.

Just using the front sight becomes a problem as the distance to the target increases.

Respectfully,
jkelly

For example,

with a shotgun with a front bead only I can usually put the slug in the black of a standard slow-fire pistol target at 50 yards..., but it becomes increasingly harder as you move away.

i dont get it, how does that help ??

I think a lot of it is most people try and get a perfect sight alignment. It's not that important until you are shooting past 25 yards to really need a near perfect alignment. Putting the front sight on a target will put rounds near where you are aiming at, close enough for self defense work. A lot of us have blacked out our rear tritiums so you can only see the front sight at night.

That's what I was taught, anyway. Don't worry about the total picture, focus on the front sight, and the bullets will follow.

If you are going to give advise, please elaberate on what you say.... Telling people that you only need sight alignment past 25 yards, and that you only need front sight for self defense will only confuse people, in any scenario, you might have to do a precision shot... regardless to wether its up close or 25+ yards away...depending on what you have for Center MASS, if all you have is a head shot, then you better make sure, you have a proper sight alignment and proper sight picture no matter what the distance is...
Especially if you have a hostage situation....[wink]

Head shots are great, but very low percentage. Chances of ending a hostage sceanario as a civilian, almost nil.[thinking]

I'll stand by how I was trained. Front sight, let the target go out of focus, ignore rear sights as long as they aren't actually blocking the front sight, press.

Get some serious one on one training best way to go. Do some force on force with simunitions if the chance comes available.

Obviously it isn't as simple as that. Using only your front sight you could technically have the gun backwards and still be sticking to that rule! I think it is meant as in you don't have to perfectly align the front/back sights, just get them up quick and worry about the front. Obviously it would be at a very close range.

weekendracer, I'm not totally disagreeing w/you, for new shooters, it is important for them to get familliar with the basics first... As they develope their skill, then they can move forward w/person protection style shooting... The basic rule of using your sights is: Bring the top of the front sight a hair below impact point, then bring the rear sight up to the front sight, leveling off the top of the front sight, having equal amount of space on each side of the front sight to the rear sight... The eye can only focus on one thing at a time, so make it the front sight... Idea being, if front sight is on target, chances are you will be on target within reason... But at close range, 0-15 ft or so, front sight on target, semi level the gun press the trigger straight an to the rear, with very little movement of the muzzle as possible....

weekendracer, I'm not totally disagreeing w/you, for new shooters, it is important for them to get familliar with the basics first... As they develope their skill, then they can move forward w/person protection style shooting... The basic rule of using your sights is: Bring the top of the front sight a hair below impact point, then bring the rear sight up to the front sight, leveling off the top of the front sight, having equal amount of space on each side of the front sight to the rear sight... The eye can only focus on one thing at a time, so make it the front sight... Idea being, if front sight is on target, chances are you will be on target within reason... But at close range, 0-15 ft or so, front sight on target, semi level the gun press the trigger straight an to the rear, with very little movement of the muzzle as possible....

I think we can agree that getting professional training is best. I'd be willing to bet 'most' shooters have other issues besides sight alignment that cause problems long before sight alignment becomes the primary reason for poor shooting. After 8 years of serious pistol training, I still find myself doing dumb things from time to time.

I've tried to show 'friends' how to shoot, at some point they tend to stop listening to me. That or get tired of me hitting them on the back of the head yelling "quit jerking the trigger!".

Getting professinonal training is a must for anyone who wants to carry or use a firearm, for any type of shooting.... I have been training people how to shoot for over 14 years now, from PO to newbies, I always start them off with basic fundamentals... Grip, stance, Sight Alignment, trigger press, breath, follow through.... Usually the first twenty rounds or so are one hole drill... Once I see they know how to apply basic shooting skills, I bring them up speed on tactical shooting, once in while going back to basics...
I too, find myself pulling shots every now and then....[wink]

Back
Top Bottom